Montecristo No.5 MUL JUN 14 : Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week.

Cigar being reviewed: Montecristo No. 5 MUL JUN 14 - Smoked on Friday 5/19 at 9:30pm. Weather conditions when I was smoking were 75*F & 75% rH with cloudy skies and calm winds. (These are not my humidor storage conditions).

Pre-light: Surprisingly, there was very little aroma. I even went back to the humidor and pulled the box. Very faint traces of light hay and tobacco. I choose a straight-cut and gently toasted the foot with a soft flame lighter. 

1/3: The draw started off tighter than I'd like. Of course, I didn't have my draw tool handy so I just plugged along. I'm not good at identifying subtle flavors, but I was able to identify flavors that I'd describe as hay, toasted tobacco, and a faint cream that built towards the end of the 1/3. Strength was medium. 

2/3: As I moved into the 2/3 of the cigar, the cream became more pronounced, but never dominated the other flavors I was tasting including toasted tobacco and a slight floral bouquet on the retro that I just couldn't place. Strength remained medium. 

3/3: As I entered the home stretch, the cream faded and toasted tobacco became the primary flavor until the cigar turned 1/2 through the final 3rd. Strength was medium.

Total smoking time: 45 minutes. 

IMG_0257.thumb.JPG.c342ffd91d017197f58d7be5a9300376.JPG

• Like 4

Wow...75°F and 75 rh. I may need @PigFish, @Fugu or @NSXCIGAR's expertise to determine whether a cigar would have 9% to 12% moisture content at those settings. Still, if you enjoy them stored that way, then kudos to you! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I'm enjoying an AUM Jul 14 Montecristo No.5 right now myself. Yes...similar flavours. Thanks for your review.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

Wow...75°F and 75 rh. I may need @PigFish, @Fugu or @NSXCIGAR's expertise to determine whether a cigar would have 9% to 12% moisture content at those settings. Still, if you enjoy them stored that way, then kudos to you! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I'm enjoying an AUM Jul 14 Montecristo No.5 right now myself. Yes...similar flavours. Thanks for your review.

Ha, 75/75 just happened to be the weather conditions outside where I was smoking. I store near 60 rH. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PamunkeyHub said:

Ha, 75/75 just happened to be the weather conditions outside where I was smoking. I store near 60 rH. 

Great stuff then...nice and balmy! 

Thanks for the nice review. I'm quickly smoking through a box of MUL OCT 14 and finding too tasty to keep my hands off.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...