best Robusto you have smoked this year?

This is the question that was asked of me Friday on the deck. 

I tried not to over think it. 

Current production (less than 2 years of age) Cohiba Robusto SGA MAR 16. 

Everything that is great about CORO. Smooth, rich with deep cream, light coffee, honey and citrus edge. Can still taste it when I close my eyes. 

Over two years of age:   Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4. POU JUN 13. 

Complexity in spades. Just under medium bodied but it screamed morello cherries and liquor. 

Your two choices based on your experience? :daydream:

• Like 1

Under-Cohiba Robusto- ULE JUN 15- Wish I could find more boxes with this code- by far the most refined, rich CoRo I have tasted.

Over-Partagas D4 UPE 13- Pure joy.

• Like 1

This is an interesting question and I have given it some thought.  Think here's where I've ended up:

recent production:  Partagas D4, OBM MAR 16

With at least two years age:  Montecristo Petit Edmundo, GMA AGO 14

The PE's actually surprised me as they were part of a clearance buy and looked a little pathetic but are smoking brilliantly.... Rob can even find the ugly ducklings!

Update:  took me a good nights sleep to realize the PE ISN'T a robusto... ?

• Like 3

RyJ Ex.#4, TES SEP 15 (HQ) less than two years.

RyJ Short Churchills Tubo POU MAY 15 more than two yrs.

Love the slight cherry flav.coupled w / light tabac.

From Host!

Current production: Partagas D4 has been great. They improve well with age but I enjoy them as they are.

Over two years of age I think the Juan Lopez No.2 is hard to beat.

• Like 1

I'm not a robusto person. I prefer lonsdales and pyramides. But one robusto that I do find I can consistenly enjoy (despite the size!) is the Ramon  Allones Specially Selected  :yes: 

Best young one was from a recent 24:24 and it was an SLR Regios from 2016 and it was absolutely special.  These are so different than the other robustos from Cuba and affordable when available.

Best older than two years, was a HDm Epicure no. 2 I bought five years ago from the Prez.  It was my last one from the cab and it was so good it made me regret I had smoked the others so young.

Under-age: HU Connoisseur #1 ... can't remember the box code, but it came from a reputable merchant up in Brisbane ... it was glorious, and the box is just about empty.  I had planned to age some...

Over-age: my single solitary survivor of the RyJ EL robusto from 2001 ... a chance find in a box of mixed stuff, and it was stupendous.  

• Like 1

It's a toss up between these 2:

Seconds D4, mul jul14.  The wrapper is pale and frankly didn't give me hope I'd go on an epic journey, but that was one hell of an interesting cigar.

PSP brc, I think it was ula abr14, brilliant from the get go and only grew from there.  Only wish it didn't end when it did.

10 hours ago, David88 said:

Current production: Partagas D4 has been great. They improve well with age but I enjoy them as they are.

This has me very stumped. My first Cuban cigar was a D4 from 2014 and it is what made me fall for this side of the cigar world after enjoying non- Cubans for many years.

Since that first D4 I have bought a couple boxes from 2014 and 2015 and had the same great experience as the first.

Then things took a wild turn for me. Every D4 box I have bought in the last year was from 2016 (including CUNint). They have been crap. Gross. All green tinted wrappers to varying degrees. Not even close to the 2014/15 boxes. I am talking a struggle to get to the last third to even start to enjoy a little bit of the cigar. It has ruined the D4 for me and I will not buy anymore. I am not setup to age boxes and honestly I do not think even aging the 2016 boxes will bring them back to life. *sigh*

But to answer the OP's question: H Upmann Royal Robusto from LUB MAY 14 - I am savoring each and every one.   

Guest Nekhyludov

I have to admit that I haven't really found a go-to robusto this year. I have a box of RASS that are too young, PSD4 are nice but need 5+ years before they suit my palate, my box of HdMEpi#2 were a total dud and nearly unsmokable, RyJEx#4 were all rough and mongrel, VR Famoso was OK but sort of bland, COROs are great but way to expensive to smoke regularly, SLR Regios and JL#2 just never have been in my wheelhouse. 

I've all but given up on what used to be one my favorite CC vitolas. I have box of OpusX robustos that I've been enjoying.

15 hours ago, Jnewt64 said:

Over-Partagas D4 UPE 13- Pure joy.

We must have a box from the same bunch...agreed, pure joy. 

Haven't smoked anything current though...

• Like 1

I have been shit out of luck with CoRos lately Definitely the best if I could just get ly dirty hands on a decent box.  I sorely miss them. 

Recently there have been a ton of great robustos from other makers.  Bolivar Royal coronas and SLR regios top my list

i still have some PSP HDM epicure 2s from 2016 which were/are rock stars

Box codes

SLR Regio. ORG Sept 16

Bolivar Royal Corona ETP Sept 16

I thoroughly enjoyed my Hoyo Epi #2 the other day and it has been probably the best this year. It's the 1st one I've ever smoked and I'm glad I have a SLB of them. Surprisingly it's from 16", I just couldn't wait to try one but the rest will relax for a year

ETU OCT 16

I might not be as experienced as some of the folks on here but my 2015 HdM Epi 2s are smoking like a dream.  Rich creamy textures provide an amazing smoke.