expensive rums

Ken Gargett

because too many threads on rum are never enough. this from the drinkme site.

The Best Rum’s You’ll Find For $150+

SHARE ON:

Just because you have money to burn doesn’t mean you are looking for a bottle of rum that is gone in a flash or sets your throat on fire with its alcohol content. So if you are looking for a fantastic bottle for a special occasion or a spontaneous treat, check out these five rums that are smooth enough to sip, yet playful enough to keep your tongue entertained long after the party is over.

Diplomatico Ambassador Selection
Diplomatico Ambassador drinkmemag.com drink me top 5 rums

This successful representative of Venezuelan rum is aged a minimum of 12 years and boasts a 47% alcohol by volume. Despite having so additional sweeteners, this dark horse maintains a thick, luscious mouth feel and full-bodied flavor of chocolate, oak and molasses that lingers on the tongue. It pairs perfectly with a fine cigar on warm summer nights or a cold night in by the fire (preferably in a leather chair).

A.H. Riise Non Plus Ultra Very Rare
A.H. Riise Non Plus Ultra drinkmemag.com srink me top 5 rums

This decadent Denmark rum lingers on your tongue longer than the daylight during Summer Solstice. The vibrant notes of cherry and citrus (specifically orange) balance perfectly with the smoky, sweet chocolate base, and the glass bottle is as expertly crafted as the amber liquid that it contains. While this beauty is just under the $150 mark it is not available in the United States, so additional travel funds are required to hunt down this tantalizing treasure!

Charbay Rum Sugar Cane

At 68.4% abv. (136.8 proof) Charbay’s rum, distilled in the California based, family-run distillery, is deceptively light in color for its heavy flavor and price-tag. Created in 100% copper pot stills, this rum’s caramel flavor is developed with authentic Hawaiian and Jamaican sugar cane syrup. The dominant tropical flavors are tempered with spicy tones of cinnamon and clove for a complex taste that is prefect toast for special occasions 

Zafra Master Series 30 Year Old Panama Rum

If you like owning limited editions, than this rum is well worth the price! With only 6,720 bottles in existence, fans of sweet and dry rums will be fighting over this oak aged liquor that has been left to develop in ex bourbon casks for the last thirty years. The oak and bourbon are noticeable to the nose and palate and pair nicely with the vanilla highlights that grow stronger with every sip.

Pyrat Rum Cask 1623

Encased in a hand-blown bottle and walnut case, Pyrat Rum Cast 1623 is as easy on the eyes as it is on the palate. This Guyanese Rum is on the sweeter side with its orange base and notes of fig, ginger and stone fruits, yet has a long, strong finish to insure that each sip satisfies. Hoti, the patron saint and protector of bartenders who graces the bottle, has his work cut out for him as Purists and Pyrat fans argue over whether this drink should be considered an orange liquor or a rum. Either way, everyone agrees on its high drinkability and lasting flavor.

If the Riise is not acceptable…

English Harbor 1981 25 Year Old Rum

From 1981 to 2006, this rum was aged in oak barrels formally used as bourbon casks before being presented to the world in an elaborate, swinging door display. Each year 600 bottles are released, and with a only 5,721 bottles produced, the price rises every year. The oak and bourbon add to the flavor, and a supposed addition of sugar smooth out the golden liquid tinted with vanilla and black cherry/current undertones.

I have both the Zafra 30 Year and the Cask 1623.  Love both, but the Cask 1623 isn't for everyone; evidently people love it or hate it.

The Zafra is excellent.

Looks like there are a few others to try so thanks for posting the list!

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the Zafra 21, but feel like a 30 will be in my stash before much longer....

11 hours ago, scap99 said:

I'm a huge fan of the Zafra 21, but feel like a 30 will be in my stash before much longer....

Spec's downtown carries the Zafra 30 year.  Now that Ken gave us the list, I will have to see if they carry any of the others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

Spec's downtown carries the Zafra 30 year.  Now that Ken gave us the list, I will have to see if they carry any of the others.

Yeah, it's $179 cash price.

The lady at my spec's let me handle it today.  Damn it looks delicious.

Too bad She Who Must Be Obeyed was standing right next to me. Lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pyrat 16 I've had and I must admit it's quite amazing if you like orange triaminic...

i personally liked it and found it to be quite different than most Rums. Worrh a try.

So today, my wife and I are celebrating our 26th year as a couple (18th wedding anniversary).

She surprised me with this, and it is as amazing as I had hoped it would be.

IMG_20170610_200539.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...