Partagas Serie Question

Can anybody describe the difference between the Partagas series?  I have seen Serie E, P, D and now No. 1.   Is there a difference in quality between them or is it simply a change in blend?  How much of a difference would the different ones rank in a side by side comparison.   I don't have a lot of partagas experience so looking for some insight from all the Party experts out there.  

7 hours ago, zeedubbya said:

With exception of ELs or special releases they're are only 6 cigars of question in regular release. P2, E2, D4,5,6 and Maduro 1 (I believe this is the one you're speaking of).  Here's a breakdown from my perspective on these.  

P2--Pyramid--Lightest of all Partagas IMO, still has that Partagas thing of Baking Spice and Breadiness but needs a lot of age to really shine.  Seems muted when young.  Better aged.  One of those odd cigars which seems to get more powerful with age.  DO NOT BUY THEM BLIND.  Very bad idea.  Did it once and still regret it.  

E2--Excellent Partagas profile with a bit of creaminess added to the Baking Spice and Bready profile. Prez says the classiest of the entire Partagas lineup and I agree.  These are like the Siglo 6 of Partagas IMO.  A must have.  Special cigar.  

D4--A classic, One of the first cigars a lot of us tried and it sucked us in.  Generally always delivers a consistent Partagas Spice, Bread with core of toasted tobacco.  Prez says Sourdough, Coffee (sometimes Nutella) with sweet Paprika.  I think this is a great description. Generally considered a full bodied cigar.  With age they get smoother.  Sometimes too smooth to me.  Used to smoke nearly a box a month.  

D5--Dialed back D4--very similar in taste to D4 in a shorter smoke with a little bit less power.  I like these for a 40 min commute.  

D6--To me they're a shorter slightly stronger D4.  Virtually no difference IMO.  I do not buy them because they come in a 20 count box.  Huh?  I would buy D4 or D5 instead.  Just don't see a reason.  

Maduro 1--Chocolate chocolate chocolate.  I am not as crazy about these as other Partagas cigars, but they're still good.  I have somewhat limited experience here, but I do remember one blowing me away with a spice, bread and chocolate combo I've never experienced in any other cigar.  Reminded me of a chocolate croissant with a touch of spice rolled in--like a cinnamon nutmeg thing.  Sounds great right.  If they were all like that!! 

Hope this helps. 

That is extremely helpful, thank you so much.  The No. 1 I was referring to was the EL 2017 I saw that was announced for this year.  It might just be a regular blend in a different size, I haven't seen any other info than the name released so far though.  

11 hours ago, Head83 said:

That is extremely helpful, thank you so much.  The No. 1 I was referring to was the EL 2017 I saw that was announced for this year.  It might just be a regular blend in a different size, I haven't seen any other info than the name released so far though.  

Can I just add that Head83 pretty much nails it but just to add my two-penneth:

The best of Partagas for me are the P2, the D4 and the the E2. Head83's description of the E2 as the Siglo VI of Partagas is spot on and like the Siglo VI its a special cigar that demands time to savour its greatness. My "go to" for the last six years has been the D4.

The D5 and D6 have never done much for me: the D5 is exactly what Head83 describes them as. Personally I'd rather wait until I've got the extra time so I can enjoy a D4.

As for the Maduro 1 again Head83 gets the flavour profile exactly right. The way I would describe them is like this: its like Lindt 85%. Every day? No. But when you want it, nothing else will do.

7198777b4f13c1fa26f461d433c7e2d1.jpg

Just happen to be smoking a P2 while stumbling upon this post.

This box is from 2014, and IMO starting to really shine. The amount of pepper in the profile on these ROTT was too much and overpowered the smoking experience.

My favs would be the D4, E2, P2. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk