Bolivar Corona Gigante PUR SEP 16: Ode to the 47 to 52 gauge review week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 47 x 7"

Box Code: PUR SEP 16

Cigar has a light Colorado wrapper with a bit of an orange hue. The wrapper is dry in appearance with some crystalline oils and a fine tooth. Very attractive, with just a few prominent veins. Initially, the draw is a bit firm and the smoke somewhat thin, but the combustion is cool and even.

The early flavor is earthy and nutty in a straightforward way, while the aroma has a fresh pine and marzipan character. The ash is flaky and has an earthen color.

20170501_204632.thumb.jpg.b94f10a4df118590ae4cc9eb0f5afb6a.jpg

20170502_215426.thumb.jpg.44589454fe8418a4e60cbbf180e4958d.jpg

In the second third, the earthy character becomes deeper and velvety and almond paste and marzipan come to predominate, with the fresh wood aspect receding. A hint of black pepper emerges in the aroma and the draw opens up at the midpoint.

An H Upmann-like floral quality emerges in the final third. Pairs perfectly with Cuban-style Cubita.

Score: 91

10 hours ago, FatPete said:

Nice review- on my list as the next Churchill to try

I'm sure you are aware of this, but if not, the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes has been recently deleted and therefore I hope you can source it to sample. I know @NSXCIGAR has been praising recent examples of this cigar.

Thanks again for your review, @Nekhyludov.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I'm sure you are aware of this, but if not, the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes has been recently deleted and therefore I hope you can source it to sample. I know @NSXCIGAR has been praising recent examples of this cigar.

Thanks agai  for your review, @Nekhyludov.

Oh no I wasn't aware of this. Why was it discontinued if it is a good smoke ?

Guest Nekhyludov
37 minutes ago, FatPete said:

That's the million dollar question. I doubt we'll ever hear a good reason. If you find a box, snag it - they're disappearing quickly. 

.....or marketing ploy...creating demand by cutting and then bringing back with another band down the track ??

17 hours ago, FatPete said:

At Tabacuba, a government operation, now follows that the path that smoking is bad. They are therefore set out to proving it, one cigar at a time, as the remove the best ones from the catalog...

Nice review mate.

-the Pig

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dimmers said:

.....or marketing ploy...creating demand by cutting and then bringing back with another band down the track ??

I don't believe any cigar discontinued after the 1980s has been resurrected as special production. The only ones that have been resurrected are the BGM, BE2 and HUN. And of course only the HUN are currently produced and the price is a bit prohibitive for me, although I'm thrilled that HU even offers a Coronas at all.

And since I think special production is generally no better and frequently worse than regular production and often have an unusual profile, I'd prefer they just limit production as has been discussed in other threads. Thinking about it just makes me angry...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The BCG is a great cigar. I am fortunate to have bought a box a few years back. I liken it to the Lusitania in many respects. Just a sensational cigar that should have been offered like the Libertador in boxes of 10, then they might have flown off the shelves. I grabbed 2 boxes of RA Gigantes but while hood these need many years of rest. Hopefully tabacuba won't axe them as well.

While I smoke many Shorts, Juniors and PC cigars, I feel that warm weather without too much humidity makes smoking these longer offering so enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...