Cohiba DC EL GKI 03- Ode to 'fat and overpriced' cigar week review!

Thanks Ray for your honest and objective review. Going by the flavours you described, this type of cigar sounds like it would be suited to my palate, so I thank you again for the time you put into reviewing it. 

Ironically, I had a little bit of extra time after work today so I smoked an El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse while watching, I think you'd be possibly crying with laughter if I lit up a Bolivar Demi Tasse while doing so!

I'm glad I was able to inspire you to visit this cigar. Perhaps it will similarly motivate me to pull out something out of my humidor that I've been putting off too!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Thanks Ray for your honest and objective review. Going by the flavours you described, this type of cigar sounds like it would be suited to my palate, so I thank you again for the time you put into reviewing it. 

Ironically, I had a little bit of extra time after work today so I smoked an El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse while watching, I think you'd be possibly crying with laughter if I lit up a Bolivar Demi Tasse while doing so!

I'm glad I was able to inspire you to visit this cigar. Perhaps it will similarly motivate me to pull out something out of my humidor that I've been putting off too!

Lets just say I have a few cigars that need burning! Cheers mate, would have loved to have you by to share one. -R

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PigFish said:

Lets just say I have a few cigars that need burning! Cheers mate, would have loved to have you by to share one. -R

Likewise, I feel exactly the same way!

• Like 1

Just finished watching--thanks for digging this one out Ray!

Great to see one of the "legendary" ELs reviewed. A box of these puppies sold for $3550 in early 2014 so these are certainly $300+/stick cigars right now--and you may have saved some folks some serious dough. I would imagine these are probably not going to become anything amazing if they're only smoking "above average" after 15 years. Another reminder of how I was never a fan of the early ELs--any of them for that matter.

Another McRib of the Habanos world!

• Like 4

Great review Piggy! I was expecting a LE to get an absolute roasting from you but it was very fair. It is interesting to hear how they hold up after so long!

• Like 2

Hi Piggy, 

Good video. In it you mentioned some cigars as typically tannic. Could you let this newbie in on which ones they are, probably to avoid in my case ?

thanks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PigFish said:

With the lighter comes an anecdote... (of course!)

This was a gift from a friend of mine. My friend smoked cigarettes for over 30 years, he has been smoking them since high school and that is how long I have known him.

He was having some health problems and his doctor finally told him, lay off the smokes and the booze or the next time you come into the ER it might just be a one way ticket! So he quit...

He knows I like cigars, my humidor is always open to him. So he stops by one day and tells me that he has started on cigars. Now I am thinking of all the wonderful things that I can teach him about our interest here, and he pops a piece of nicotine gum in his mouth and starts to light up a Macanudo!

That brings us back to the lighter. You see they had some kind of special going over at JR, buy a box and get a lighter... So, he bought two boxes (of his favorite Macanudos) and got two lighter and so he gave one to me! He is the type that would give you the shirt off his back and I love him like my brother, but when he stops by, we use his lighter and smoke my cigars!!! -LOL

I like the lighter. It holds just short of a gallon of fuel and has four jets. I think it comes from the professional arsonist series! It is perfect for flame retardant EL wrappers. Hit the end of a demi tasse with the flame, and the whole cigar spontaneously combusts!

-Piggy

Love the story behind the lighter! Seems like the box of Macanudos was worth the lighter alone.

Use his lighter and your cigars...seems like a fair trade imo ;). Plus...who wants to smoke their own Macanudo when their good buddy has cubans??

Thanks for the laugh. Watch out for those double bands, they put up a fight!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickHendeson said:

Hadn't see any other videos from you before . . . . Weird to put a face and a voice to you after a substantial period of time.  Kind of like a radio announcer, not what I had pictured in my head.  :lol:

Hopefully I did not frighten your children...! -LOL

I was really bah-humbug about cigar reviews for the past several years. You know why, because I needed to take notes and concentrate on the cigar instead of just relax with it. As I have begun to get more used to being in front of the video and relax about it, I have found that this has brought some fun back into reviewing.

Man, if I can do it anyone can. I really suggest giving it a go. It is fun.

As I have many friends here, some (most) I have never met, I actually get the feeling that I am talking directly to them.

Since I often get complex questions from my customers, sometimes it is easier to make them a personal video. I just pretend they are the camera... Since I like to teach and mentor, this has become a natural next step.

You guys should start a YouBoob channel and give it a try. You don't have to be perfect or correct or scripted. Just be yourself and have some fun. I like it and fully recommend it.

I hope more of you will do it. Hell, if you want I can start a collection on my Youtube channel and I will post your video but I would simply encourage you to start your own. I will be your first follower!

-Ray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackupster said:

Hey Piggy...I volunteer to find the "sublime" stick in your box. Send them my way!

Someone said the going price is about 3K... When can I expect the wire??? -LOL You may then check them all for sublime!

-Piggy

Just now, PigFish said:

Someone said the going price is about 3K... When can I expect the wire??? -LOL You may then check them all for sublime!

-Piggy

I'll wire the Pesos whenever your ready! :D

Ray with the big double bander review, now ive seen everything :lol:

Nice review Ray, appreciated! Keep em coming.