Partagas Serie Du Connaisseur no 3 FPG OLL May 2005


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Thanks for the review mate. Mine don't taste much like a 'wild game' dinner, but what the hell, we all taste things a bit differently...! -LOL These are perennial favorite of mine!

-Piggy

Ha, yes Indeed we're all different. I've only ever had 10 of these max, and these are the most savoury I've had. lovely though

It's something I'd really be interested in doing a thread on in the future. i.e I don't buy into the concept that peoples palettes are so different, rather that peoples associations are different, and degree to which they allow their imagination to unearth a flavour is the main difference.

Nuances and hints of things (with the way I enjoy cigars) often jingle around until they relate to a flavour memory. Then once the flavour memory (of say something like foie gras) is at the forefront of my mind, I would say the mental cognition leads my brain to set it in stone, and the flavour actually heightens.  I have cigar and wine enthusiast friends who borderline refuse describe their chosen poison in any manner other than either "this is bad" or "or this is good"  Surely, the pleasure receptors have to be doing something more in the brain than either 'yes' or 'no'.

Ultimately, (and this is nothing to do with you Piggy, as I actually think you are very eloquent, and broad when expressing flavours), but I think people who seem to be unable to communicate anything other than basic descriptors (like sweet or salty etc,) basically either have a very limited gastronomic experience, or are for some reason a bit repressed when it comes to genuinely speaking their mind.  I find it endlessly fascinating 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, 99call said:

Ha, yes Indeed we're all different. I've only ever had 10 of these max, and these are the most savoury I've had. lovely though

It's something I'd really be interested in doing a thread on in the future. i.e I don't buy into the concept that peoples palettes are so different, rather that peoples associations are different, and degree to which they allow their imagination to unearth a flavour is the main difference.

Nuances and hints of things (with the way I enjoy cigars) often jingle around until they relate to a flavour memory. Then once the flavour memory (of say something like foie gras) is at the forefront of my mind, I would say the mental cognition leads my brain to set it in stone, and the flavour actually heightens.  I have cigar and wine enthusiast friends who borderline refuse describe their chosen poison in any manner other than either "this is bad" or "or this is good"  Surely, the pleasure receptors have to be doing something more in the brain than either 'yes' or 'no'.

Ultimately, (and this is nothing to do with you Piggy, as I actually think you are very eloquent, and broad when expressing flavours), but I think people who seem to be unable to communicate anything other than basic descriptors (like sweet or salty etc,) basically either have a very limited gastronomic experience, or are for some reason a bit repressed when it comes to genuinely speaking their mind.  I find it endlessly fascinating 

 

... hell, you give me too much credit!!!

I had actually pretty much come to really dislike reviewing cigars. That is, until I started the video review. Frankly, they are kind'a fun. One of the things that are fun about them is making fun of smokers! Yes, it is self-deprecating, but that is part of the fun... Hell, if you cannot poke fun at yourself, you have no right to be vexing others!

Like your wine friends, well, I don't know them, but I have come to a turnaround here. I once made a detailed review sheet. I liked the idea of quantifying answers so that results can be analyzed numerically. I just don't care about that any more. No more 88 point cigars, no 89.999436 point cigars, just the good the bad and the ugly for me.

Now look, I am not going to go off on those (like you) that enjoy expressing yourself the way you want. I was there once. I respect it, it is just no longer me. I see cigars so much simpler than I used to. As they have become this ostensible luxury item, the greater a connoisseur I become, the more basic I actually get to thinking about them.

There is noting wrong with being serious about them. I like the term passionate, because that I am. To many, I am very serious about my cigars, but like I said, I prefer the descriptor of passionate. The deal with me is really just this. I am really a black sheep. As the masses move, I run counter current.

I will stick with my describing tannins, castor and gasoline...! I am not exempt, I really can taste that stuff. So carry on mate, we can both have a little fun at each other's expense. Yours sounds like my dinner, and well mine sounds like a trip to Jiffy Lube!!! Cigars should be fun and enjoyable. I say enjoy them any way you want and don't worry about the rest of what the world thinks about them. That is my approach anyway!

Nice chatting... -R

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread motivated me to try a Stick from this Box that I purchased about a year ago in St. Moritz... POS May 2006

373ace18cfe1656c68c4eb195349cf37.jpg
70793e52b7294fbabc99309d8bc35539.jpg
7e30a8e220d94b1803c0c5d6378d7296.jpg
b660ec3f396fa08a1ebc1fc2cb544242.jpg

1st third: great restrictive draw and feel in the hand. Minty dry draw before 1st light. Right into stride w a nice leather, spicy Partagas profile. I did pick up on the Foie Gras reference. I would describe it more as a Duck breast w a balsamic reduction. A sweet gamey flavor that mingled w the leather and spice.

2nd third: stayed consistent w these flavors. A bit of a bite, tannic, on the finish which I liked as these Marcas are far from being spent. Burn was razor sharp w plenty of aromatic smoke filling the air.

Final third: very pleasurable as I nursed the Cigar along. Leather, spice, pepper, and that gamey sweetness still prevails as I winded down. Love these #3's and this is another example of why this has been a favorite of Habanos lovers worldwide.

Conclusion: 60 minutes of smoke time. If you have never had the pleasure of smoking one of these brilliant #3's, I encourage you to do so if you ever have the opportunity to secure a Box. The flavor intensity of these Vintage SdC #3's is pure joy to this Habanophile!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

... Jesus you guys... You nailed it! I really mean nailed it!

Animal protein, right on... and liver too!!! Excellent!

F'n A... -LOL The joke is on me, you guys were spot on... Power of suggestion maybe! Perhaps I have sorbents on the brain!!!

Video review forthcoming, if I have the guts to put it up. My day has been a disaster...

Pretty sure these were sourced from our humble host.

59374fc95ac35_2017-06-0616_50_02.thumb.jpg.d859c2ce158c4dc5033093fa0ef32166.jpg59374fd18cdef_2017-06-0616_51_38.thumb.jpg.450c9c0c8ec06d1b7618d7afc2a6837a.jpg

:clap::yes: Full credit to the OP. Bravo mate...

-Piggy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

Thanks mate, got a cool black and a hot pink one as well... -LOL (minimum order was 3...)

Pig of an ashtray if you ask me ;):rotfl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PigFish said:

... Jesus you guys... You nailed it! I really mean nailed it!

Animal protein, right on... and liver too!!! Excellent!

F'n A... -LOL The joke is on me, you guys were spot on... Power of suggestion maybe! Perhaps I have sorbents on the brain!!!

Video review forthcoming, if I have the guts to put it up. My day has been a disaster...

Pretty sure these were sourced from our humble host.

59374fc95ac35_2017-06-0616_50_02.thumb.jpg.d859c2ce158c4dc5033093fa0ef32166.jpg59374fd18cdef_2017-06-0616_51_38.thumb.jpg.450c9c0c8ec06d1b7618d7afc2a6837a.jpg

:clap::yes: Full credit to the OP. Bravo mate...

-Piggy

Ha, Still not sure if you're pulling our chain Ray! but glad you enjoyed.  Would be great to see the review. You're last one was very interesting. 

PS, I've only just realised you're situated in the States once I saw that DC review. I never knew there was another Isle of Wight. You must of though I was mental in PMing you about Gibraltor,  very funny in retrospect. 

Keep the vid reviews coming, 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 99call said:

Ha, Still not sure if you're pulling our chain Ray! but glad you enjoyed.  Would be great to see the review. You're last one was very interesting. 

PS, I've only just realised you're situated in the States once I saw that DC review. I never knew there was another Isle of Wight. You must of though I was mental in PMing you about Gibraltor,  very funny in retrospect. 

Keep the vid reviews coming, 

Yes, it would be typical of me to keep the jest going... but I am awfully serious about cigars... -LOL

Just waiting on YouBoob now to upload. The truth will present itself shortly! -R

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've smoked a lot of these, probably smoked through 5 boxes. They were my favorite Partagas (now all gone). I have always noticed a very distinctive "white pepper" flavor from these cigars, with a bit of salt. It's a type of flavor that is different than the thicker ring gauge Partagas. I find that the Partagas Culebras have this flavor as well, and they are still available!

Finally, I have never found Partagas cigars to become too tame with age. They might be the way you like them now but I don't think you have to fear them going dull in the years ahead.

This would be among my top requests for a Habanos to bring back to life!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PigFish said:

So here we go amigos... Credit where due!

-Ray

Great review Ray! Keep them coming. Especially enjoyed the background track from A Trick of the Tail during the review. A brilliant Song/Album and apropos for a Party SdC #3! 

Interesting that you picked up the same gamey, animal protien, nuances that the OP and I picked up on. I added the balsamic reduction nuance as that sweetness component that I believe you and the OP referenced in your review. It was not overt, but it was there a twinge on the back finish of a retrohale. Glad that you enjoyed the Cigar and it appears that all 3 different Vintages (03,05,06) reviewed, are smoking nicely.

These vintage SdC 1,2 #3's, HdM du Prince, du Roi, du Dauphin, Punch SS#1, Ninfa's, to name a few, are some of the Classic Habanos that I truly enjoy and are so much different than today's current releases. It would be great for you to consider any number of your Classic's for future reviews!?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great review, thank you for sharing.

Tears of joy and sadness, both. This was one of my favorite vitolas, perfect size and a great 1 hour distraction. My last box was dated around 2006, and I think I saw just one stick left in my singles box. Somehow I think this thread abruptly shortened it's life expectancy.

It's so frustrating that such great cigars that I am so fond of keep getting axed. It's as though someone in Cuba is purposely trying to piss me off. Anyway, congrats to those that have a stock of these left, it's a really great connoisseur's cigar. Enjoy them my friends. 

When these got cut I started smoking LGC MdO #4 and Monte Esp #2, which are similar in size and abundantly available, but sadly not nearly as refined or complex as the Partagas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

Great review, thank you for sharing.

Tears of joy and sadness, both. This was one of my favorite vitolas, perfect size and a great 1 hour distraction. My last box was dated around 2006, and I think I saw just one stick left in my singles box. Somehow I think this thread abruptly shortened it's life expectancy.

It's so frustrating that such great cigars that I am so fond of keep getting axed. It's as though someone in Cuba is purposely trying to piss me off. Anyway, congrats to those that have a stock of these left, it's a really great connoisseur's cigar. Enjoy them my friends. 

When these got cut I started smoking LGC MdO #4 and Monte Esp #2, which are similar in size and abundantly available, but sadly not nearly as refined or complex as the Partagas.

...if you decide to smoke it, add your comments to the thread.

Power of suggestion??? I don't know, I don't usually follow the path of others but what the hell, my friends here were right on the money. I am very amazed considering I have lost so much faith in the 'flavor profile' notion. All I can say is uncanny!

On another note, I fully support your notions and comments about the state of the Cuban cigar!

-R

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Bahnofstrasse said:

Great review Ray! Keep them coming. Especially enjoyed the background track from A Trick of the Tail during the review. A brilliant Song/Album and apropos for a Party SdC #3! 

Interesting that you picked up the same gamey, animal protien, nuances that the OP and I picked up on. I added the balsamic reduction nuance as that sweetness component that I believe you and the OP referenced in your review. It was not overt, but it was there a twinge on the back finish of a retrohale. Glad that you enjoyed the Cigar and it appears that all 3 different Vintages (03,05,06) reviewed, are smoking nicely.

These vintage SdC 1,2 #3's, HdM du Prince, du Roi, du Dauphin, Punch SS#1, Ninfa's, to name a few, are some of the Classic Habanos that I truly enjoy and are so much different than today's current releases. It would be great for you to consider any number of your Classic's for future reviews!?

 

Music in the background is such a bad practice, but I get to 'rockin' when I work in the shop. Genesis, and Steve Hackett are favorites of mine. I might have a dozen versions of some of the same songs... Right after I finished up, Chris Squire (RIP) came on with 'Lucky Seven.' It would have been compelled listening if on while I was on tape. You would need to cover your eyes... I have no rhythm!!! -LOL

I have to say it again, it does sound like we smoked the same cigar. Even how they ebbed and flowed... Amazing!

Maybe next time we get on board with SS1's or the du Rois. The du Roi is a real favorite of mine.

I know people will disagree with me (us) but today's cigars (for me at least) don't hold a candle to cigars of days past. It is a major reason that I piss on Tabacuba so much!

Guys, this thread has been great fun.

Stefan... I hope you did not mind running with the thread. But it was a lot of fun!

-Ray

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

99CALL- it looks to me that the cigars you reviewed are not from 2005 but are possibly from 1997. The old FPG Partagas factory code was used pre 2000. It appears that the smaller Cuban warrantee label is present indicating an older box as well. From what I see in the pic the last letter on the date code appears to be a C which would make the box from 1997. There are other factors but this is what I think is the true box date...... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, PigFish said:

So here we go amigos... Credit where due!

-Ray

Nice job Ray,

For what it's worth I would hate getting on camera for anything on a social media platform, so I've got a massive amount of gratitude for any of you that get in the limelight, as it were.

Keep up the good work

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, cigarsmoke said:

99CALL- it looks to me that the cigars you reviewed are not from 2005 but are possibly from 1997. The old FPG Partagas factory code was used pre 2000. It appears that the smaller Cuban warrantee label is present indicating an older box as well. From what I see in the pic the last letter on the date code appears to be a C which would make the box from 1997. There are other factors but this is what I think is the true box date...... 

Many thanks for this.  I'd bought them in a job lot from another collector. They were all his smoking stock, and he was pretty sure he's only bought between 2005-2012, so it was by best guess with the smudged date code. I thought they looked a bit anemic for 2005.

Cheers for the heads up, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 99call said:

Nice job Ray,

For what it's worth I would hate getting on camera for anything on a social media platform, so I've got a massive amount of gratitude for any of you that get in the limelight, as it were.

Keep up the good work

Funny, because the only social media outlet that I have ever really taken to has been cigar boards. I have a Twitter account, but feel the venue is really lame! Short opinions are not really my nature. I prefer to communicate, just like what has transpired in this thread. I like to make real connections with people, not collect a bunch of worthless numbers of 'so-called' followers. I put that little ditty in my last video as a bit of a joke... I have no Farcebook account. However as I consider doing my humidor stuff full time, I have begun to look at the business value of it. Every time I hear one of these very rich and mentally poor guys who own these venues as businesses, I don't want to partake in them at all, but that is another story.

Rob and Ken passively have been a motivator to do the reviews. I mean they are hardly serious and always having a good time. I would do every one with Rob and Ken if I could. I can see where this would be a blast with a long time friend that you can really 'feed' off of. Being an old cut up and enjoying a good laugh, especially at my own expense, really kindled my interest. I know who I am, and don't  care if I tweak some super critical people or if they like or don't like what I have to offer...! My channel is pretty much about cigar keeping and sharing what I believe is valuable knowledge. I am not parroting some collector theories, or teaching people how to 'cut a cigar.'

Sharing cigar stuff as a regular guy really broke the social media 'stigma' for me. I am not scripted, my shop is a mess, I constantly have plastic chip hanging off of me, and I am having fun doing it, and that is primarily what it is about.

I think more guys should do it... I say it, because it is fun and it connects me to people here primarily. YouBoob is just a place to park the video, but I do the videos as a companion to this site. I do hope they add value to 'this' site. I love this site and my friends here. I don't really care about YouBoob and girl in bikini 'fails.'

Thank you for motivating me to pick up this cigar. This thread has been great and you provided the impulse and that is what forums are all about as far as I am concerned.

-Ray

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.