Coffee Maker

Very Nice, they come in whole beans as well if you have a good grinder. When you cross the river and they are roasting the beans they smell is amazing! Enjoy

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to manual pour over coffee about a year ago. I use a cheap Hario ceramic dripper, takes a bit more time and effort than a machine but well worth it imo. You can really fine tune your cup. Wi

I'll join in the fun too as I'm also a coffee geek.  What I like: Freshly ground beans 7-10 days off roast is ideal for me, but I'll drink coffee much much older than that. Even months old.

May I present my faithful coffee maker. I grew up with this coffee maker in the 1960's. It followed me to college and then grad school. Now over 50 years later it remains my one and only coffee maker.

On 08/06/2017 at 1:01 PM, El Presidente said:

I have used some cracking commercial machines and nothing really comes close to a proper well made commercial coffee. 

At home I have had $2500 machines heavy duty and light commercial machines.......but do you really want to make 12 coffees at a dinner party...plus tha maintenance and the clean up :cofcig:

$100 quality 10 cup stove top.  A $60 smaller version when just for Di and I. 

Mrs is Italian, Her mother owns a coffee shop/bar in italy.
I've worked hospitality for a decade.
Perks of our work is always access to free or cheap coffee.. At home we considered plumbing, pods, commercial etc..
Just a good quality stove top is what we stuck with too.
If we both change career we may consider getting our own commercial for home.. But with access to it like we have and a good quality stove top machine and coffee for that, No point.
Clean up, Time and price don't justify it.

Curious though Rob, How do you wash yours?
Mrs swears on her Italian Heritage and the gods new and old that you MUST NEVER wash any coffee apparatus with soap.

Hot water, Occasionally salt and some magic she's yet to precure.. But never scalding water, And never soap.

Changes the flavour, FOREVER.
So I've been told... A few times..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewNR said:

Mrs swears on her Italian Heritage and the gods new and old that you MUST NEVER wash any coffee apparatus with soap.

Hot water, Occasionally salt and some magic she's yet to precure.. But never scalding water, And never soap.

Just rinse it under warm water and wipe where necessary with a clean cloth.  Simplicity at its best. 

• Like 1

I have had all varieties of coffe and expressions makers. I have gotten lazy and use a new Kerig that we got free with buying an LG fridge at Best Buy. It does not make the very best coffee but it is so easy. There are just 2 of us now so we may drink 4 cups a day big cups that is. With all the stuff available including using your own grind, this is the best way to go with out going off the deep end. We had a 10 cup maker and ended up throwing out tons of wasted coffee. I still have never found anything to equal the expensive commercially produced stuff

I'm not a coffee connoisseur (so no justification posting ,) as I only have a black coffee in the morning with a cigarette but James Bond (the book one,) used a Chemex machine and in the films he used a La Pavoni Europiccola.

Therefore for Chez Hedge, its got to be one of those.

• Like 2

I have an aeropress and love it..  Now I have to just buy a recommended grinder that everyone mentioned in this post.  What about beans?  I see some one recommends community coffee also there is killer beans anyone tried that? 

1 hour ago, Wertman said:

I see some one recommends community coffee also there is killer beans anyone tried that? 

Killer beans are good, but at the time I tried them, they were like $20+ USD a pound delivered.  Not worth that amount IMO.  You can't beat Costco for coffee beans.   Each region's store will have a couple of top tier beans for sale.  Many of the single origin Kirkland beans are good if you like that region.  Intelligencia is another popular online brand and not sure how their prices compare to Killer Beans.

19 hours ago, AndrewNR said:

Mrs is Italian, Her mother owns a coffee shop/bar in italy.
I've worked hospitality for a decade.
Perks of our work is always access to free or cheap coffee.. At home we considered plumbing, pods, commercial etc..
Just a good quality stove top is what we stuck with too.
If we both change career we may consider getting our own commercial for home.. But with access to it like we have and a good quality stove top machine and coffee for that, No point.
Clean up, Time and price don't justify it.

Changes the flavour, FOREVER.
So I've been told... A few times..

Wait what? Coffee oils are unsaturated oils, subject to becoming rancid.

Why on earth is soap not ok? 

8 minutes ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Wait what? Coffee oils are unsaturated oils, subject to becoming rancid.

Why on earth is soap not ok? 

Superstition and conjecture. 

I never understood the not cleaning thing. What other type of food preparation items do you not clean? 

True it alters the flavor, but that is because you are no longer brewing coffee over old rancid coffee oils. 

• Like 1

The last (and only) time this was cleaned was by my friend, Rab, who admits to being OCD on cleaning issues. We were on a Scout camp and he claimed he couldn't help himself but clean it. He apologized profusely and has never been allowed near my white coffee pot again. Can't say I noticed a difference in the taste, it generally has overtones of wood smoke...a91a82b202dfe14531e840326c07e539.jpg

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 3

I have used a variety of coffee makers over the years.

Before Hipsters got to them, I got a stove top Bodum vacuum siphon coffee maker and also an Aeropress.

The vacuum siphon was a cool thing for dinner parties and the Aeropress was because I like the fact that they made frisbees.

Eventually I got a cheap Aidi Pod machine for my work, since the coffee at the office then was so bad.

Now I switch between commercially made espresso coffee, Nespresso pods at work. Home usually is the Aidi Pod, plus it is easy for the wife to use when she wants a coffee.

I also have a small portable cold drip coffee maker as well,.

Traveling, I take the Aeropress with a grinder.

• Like 1

Just curious, I don't share her superstition for anything.

Between you and I, Every time I wash it with soap and rinse thoroughly. No comment yet about a change of flavour. ;)

I have used a variety of coffee makers over the years.

Before Hipsters got to them, I got a stove top Bodum vacuum siphon coffee maker and also an Aeropress.

The vacuum siphon was a cool thing for dinner parties and the Aeropress was because I like the fact that they made frisbees.

Eventually I got a cheap Aidi Pod machine for my work, since the coffee at the office then was so bad.

Now I switch between commercially made espresso coffee, Nespresso pods at work. Home usually is the Aidi Pod, plus it is easy for the wife to use when she wants a coffee.

I also have a small portable cold drip coffee maker as well,.

Traveling, I take the Aeropress with a grinder.

We've got a small Nespresso machine at home - they are a bit up themselves with the marketing but the coffees are generally very good. And, if there's enjoy variety to find what you like - until they discontinue it, sound familiar...?
My wife bought a carry case for it and it goes to conferences with her because hotel coffee is usually crap.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

5 hours ago, AndrewNR said:

Just curious, I don't share her superstition for anything.

Between you and I, Every time I wash it with soap and rinse thoroughly. No comment yet about a change of flavour. ;)

Unless you use Cafiza, you'll never get a coffee pot truly clean.  Hard to imagine how a coffee pot can retain so much staining if washed daily and looks "clean"  First time you use Cafiza (after you wash the coffee pot as you normally do), you'll be amazed at how dirty the coffee really was!

• Like 1

If you want to up your coffee game, start with a grinder. The Capresso Infinity is a good entry burr grinder under 100 bucks. Grab a nice french press and you are off and running.
My coffee maker is a Bonavita BV1900TS. It's one of the few that actually brews at the correct temperature for s reasonable price.
I use my french press on the weekends. I still think it beats the machine for flavor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

French press - double wall stainless steel. I'm too lazy to pour into an insulated carafe. Keeps coffee warm all morning. Butterfingers with the glass variety.  Gets rinsed with water, rarely if ever sees soap   

That said, the biggest SECRET is to use the correct amount of coffee -- which is way more than your mommy ever used.  Use at least one level tablespoon for each cup.  That's the pot's cup rating and not cup of water. So an "6 cup pot" gets 6 tablespoons even though it doesn't use 6 cups (6 x 8oz) of water. The pot cup rating is NOT based on the 8 oz "cup" unit of measure. 

Another secret I learned when funds were tight is that using the correct amount of coffee is more important than the quality. A pot made with the correct amount of Folgers will taste better than Starbucks grind at half the amount. It's false economy. 

On 6/13/2017 at 10:05 AM, hedgeybaby said:

I'm not a coffee connoisseur (so no justification posting ,) as I only have a black coffee in the morning with a cigarette but James Bond (the book one,) used a Chemex machine and in the films he used a La Pavoni Europiccola.

Therefore for Chez Hedge, its got to be one of those.

The La Pavoni Europiccola is so cool. I'm not surprised James Bond would use it! I've often thought of buying one but I already know the outcome.

I'd become so obsessed that I would never leave the house. I'd spend all day trying to extract the perfect cup of expresso. 

On 6/17/2017 at 7:28 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Unless you use Cafiza, you'll never get a coffee pot truly clean.  Hard to imagine how a coffee pot can retain so much staining if washed daily and looks "clean"  First time you use Cafiza (after you wash the coffee pot as you normally do), you'll be amazed at how dirty the coffee really was!

Thanks!

I learn the best things on this forum!