Trump Cuba Policy Announcement

President Donald Trump will travel to Miami next Friday to announce his administration’s changes to U.S.-Cuba policy, a source with knowledge of the president’s plans told the Miami Herald.

The location for the event is still in the works. But scheduling the trip indicates the Cuba policy, which has been undergoing drafts for several weeks, will be imminently finalized. And deciding to unveil the policy in Miami suggests it will please the hardline Cuban exiles whose support Trump considered significant to winning Florida, and the presidency.

Vice President Mike Pence is also expected to attend. He will already be in town for a Central America conference to be held next Thursday and Friday at Florida International University and U.S. Southern Command. Three Cabinet secretaries — Rex Tillerson of State, John Kelly of Homeland Security and Steven Mnuchin of Treasury — will take part in the conference, but Tillerson plans to depart Thursday, and it’s not clear if Kelly and Mnuchin will take part in the Cuba policy event.

Several local venues have symbolism for Cuban Americans, including the Bay of Pigs Museum in Little Havana and the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami.

A mid-June Trump visit has been rumored since Memorial Day, when word of the Cuba policy rewrite began trickling from alarmed backers of former President Barack Obama’s reengagement approach toward the communist island. Trump is preparing to tighten at least some of Obama’s changes, including restricting business with the Cuban military and U.S. travel that resembles tourism.

Those type of revisions have been endorsed by Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Miami Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, the only two local GOP members of Congress who backed Trump and as a result have pressured his administration on the issue. Rubio in particular has been working closely with the White House and National Security Council on the upcoming changes.

President Donald Trump will travel to Miami next Friday to announce his administration’s changes to U.S.-Cuba policy, a source with knowledge of the president’s plans told the Miami Herald.

The location for the event is still in the works. But scheduling the trip indicates the Cuba policy, which has been undergoing drafts for several weeks, will be imminently finalized. And deciding to unveil the policy in Miami suggests it will please the hardline Cuban exiles whose support Trump considered significant to winning Florida, and the presidency.

Vice President Mike Pence is also expected to attend. He will already be in town for a Central America conference to be held next Thursday and Friday at Florida International University and U.S. Southern Command. Three Cabinet secretaries — Rex Tillerson of State, John Kelly of Homeland Security and Steven Mnuchin of Treasury — will take part in the conference, but Tillerson plans to depart Thursday, and it’s not clear if Kelly and Mnuchin will take part in the Cuba policy event.

Several local venues have symbolism for Cuban Americans, including the Bay of Pigs Museum in Little Havana and the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami.

A mid-June Trump visit has been rumored since Memorial Day, when word of the Cuba policy rewrite began trickling from alarmed backers of former President Barack Obama’s reengagement approach toward the communist island. Trump is preparing to tighten at least some of Obama’s changes, including restricting business with the Cuban military and U.S. travel that resembles tourism.

Those type of revisions have been endorsed by Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Miami Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, the only two local GOP members of Congress who backed Trump and as a result have pressured his administration on the issue. Rubio in particular has been working closely with the White House and National Security Council on the upcoming changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can hardly blame Cuba for buying arms from NK when you sell arms to countries like Saudi Arabia…

History continues to be re-witten on cigar forums! The FDA was given 'specific' authority by congress to 'kill' tobacco. Look who voted for it! Read about Mitch Zeller!!! Saying that 'the FD

Fugu, Thanks for picking up on that nuance. And now for the ugly truth.  I'm 40 years of age. I left while I was still a pup, but have plenty of family affected. My maternal side of the fami

I sure hope Trump does not screw things up. People are running around setting off bombs and the employment situation should be his priority. Leave Cuban travel , cigars, rum, and the like alone. I am an independent and I don't do politics particularly US. But if Trump sticks his nose where it does not belong- Cuban cigars- weed laws(I don't smoke it) and personal freedoms he will lose lots of votes next time. Kill terriosts, build infrastructure ,promote job growth, keep the economy rolling. Stay the hell out of our personal freedoms. Sorry for the rant

let us not forget that Obama set up some very anti cigar stuff where any new hand rolled cigar was subject to an FDA approval process that would cost like 250k per product. I signed petitions to exclude hand rolled cigars from the restrictive policies which were aimed toward vaping products but included hand rolled cigars according to the owner of my favorite cigar shop

• Like 4

This is payback for the Florida support of health care reform, and mainly the only issue they care about. I expect the $100 rule to come back. And word is that he may only cut individual people to people educational travel.

Either way is bad news for the Cubans and will do the opposite of what the Batistas and Cuban mob say they want to do for the Cubans.

Always moving backwards with that island. Ufff.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking at Trump, he will probably pen it that morning effective immediately and then tell everyone he did it. I'm a little concerned as I'm arriving back the day after. Ufff.

I think they will phase out the travel restrictions by allowing current holders to go and bar any new purchases under the individual travel rule....although people could still do it as they did before the Obama loosening. Sprint and Frontier have already stopped service to Cuba this month.

The fact he is going to Miami for the announcement means it will a reversal of policy, now we just have to wait to he how bad it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can almost assume it's over for Americans the legal way at least for another 4 years. Hope people can get refunds for flights, sucks for the Cuban people that were renting out houses and spending money for a influx of American tourist. 

• Like 2

Interestingly most of the tourism spike has been non Americans. CBS ran an interesting story last week on the disappointing number of Americans that have visited since the easing.

I think they will be ok, but def not as ok as they could be.

Again, a total misread on what will help the Cuban people short and long term. And Dear Batistas: You're not going to get your houses back. Let it go. If you want something, ask for reparations. But the government can't pay their own bills, so it's in your best interest to let the economy grow, the government make there taxes, and then there will be something for you to go after.....maybe. This type of policy does NOT help you.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, semifan1 said:

Can almost assume it's over for Americans the legal way at least for another 4 years. Hope people can get refunds for flights, sucks for the Cuban people that were renting out houses and spending money for a influx of American tourist. 

....when dictators rule, history always repeats itself.

Ironically reading the latest issues of Aficionado they are reporting the soaring crazy prices we are currently seeing for hotels, food and transportation even though the US airlines are seeing slowdowns, all this of course before this announcement.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the POTUS announcement next week on Cuba and what impacts it has on these crazy price hikes. Maybe not short term but when those hotels all of a sudden are not filling up anymore or maybe US tourism slow down won't really have much impact at all...

11 hours ago, Smallclub said:

You can hardly blame Cuba for buying arms from NK when you sell arms to countries like Saudi Arabia…

Seems the US is just playing catchup to European arms dealers:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-arms-idUSKCN10X1MM

• Like 3