blanton's bourbons

Ken Gargett

a while back, there were recommendations on the forum for Blanton's bourbons. i got hold of a bottle of their Single Barrel Special Reserve, which i think is their bottom of the rung, but i confess that i did enjoy it.

they seem to have quite a range. any thoughts on the rest of them? any i should particularly chase?

• Like 1

Stagg Jr is fiesty as hell and bottled at flamethrowing levels but so tasty.  Local liquor store gets blanton single barrels at 49-51%.  I've had 2 different ones and have a third unopened.  Both of them have been fantastic as well.

18 minutes ago, 1moreVice said:

No worries, feel free to shoot me any bourbon/whiskey/rye questions - I've got much more experience in that world than cigars haha. 

thanks for that. an area i'd like to expand but not always easy to find the gems out here. especially if one has little idea. fun to research, though.

I believe the Straight from the Barrel is the only one available in the USA. The others are available outside of USA. I believe this may be due to the ownership of brands between Takara Shuzo and Sazerac. I haven't figured out who owns what for the Blanton's brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, brschoppe said:

I believe the Straight from the Barrel is the only one available in the USA. The others are available outside of USA. I believe this may be due to the ownership of brands between Takara Shuzo and Sazerac. I haven't figured out who owns what for the Blanton's brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blantons is a buffalo trace brand. 

The only blantons available is the USA is single barrel - we have to order gold and sftb from sources outside the country.  Pretty funny when it's aged and distilled in the USA!  

8 hours ago, 1moreVice said:

Blantons is a buffalo trace brand. 

The only blantons available is the USA is single barrel - we have to order gold and sftb from sources outside the country.  Pretty funny when it's aged and distilled in the USA!  

we see that a lot in the wine industry where producers make aussie wines that are never sold in Oz, just in offshore markets.

• Like 1

Looking at dan murphys website they seem to stock all these. Also stocks the "Private" single reserve it has some good reviews? Priced between the original and the gold

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@Ethernut is a bourbon guru. I think he lives just a few miles from one of the major distilleries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hurltim said:

@Ethernut is a bourbon guru. I think he lives just a few miles from one of the major distilleries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I appreciate the sentiments Tim. Blanton's however is one I haven't spent a ton of time with. I've had several pours but never found the magic within. I must admit that I have never had the SFTB release. Will give it a try next time I'm in one of our local Bourbon Bars.

• Like 2

Blantons single barrel has one release in USA which is "original" at approx 45% abv. Outside of the US we get three more to choose from, Private Select approx 40% abv, gold approx 51% abv and straight from the barrel approx 62% abv.

All blanton's come from mash bill no.2 from buffalo trace. There are are few others from this mash bill, like elmer t lee as well.

Buffalo trace also has mash bill no.1 which buffalo trace, eagle rare, stagg jr, etc.

Be careful too as some imports to Australia reduce the ABV, ie. Makers mark 45% to 40%, buffalo trace 45% to 40%, woodford reserve 45% to 40%, bulleit 45% to 40%.

I think it's crap that Australia gets screwed over to make an extra buck. Some of those above do taste different at the higher abv as well.

I'm not a total bourbon nerd, but I just came back from Lousiville and did about 10 bourbon tours, hence the info.

• Like 1