17 minutes ago, ncardw said:

I want to visit Australia someday, but you guys have so many things that freak me out. Is it a regular occurrence that you see snakes and or venomous spiders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neg most snakes are gone before you know their there. They are not common in most cities although they do turn up during the summer months on occasions.

Spiders turn up here and there. The further you get out of the cities obviously like other places you see more and more wildlife. Nothing to be to worried about really.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sharks said:

Neg most snakes are gone before you know their there. They are not common in most cities although they do turn up during the summer months on occasions.

Spiders turn up here and there. The further you get out of the cities obviously like other places you see more and more wildlife. Nothing to be to worried about really.

Has he been told about the drop-bears yet?

4 hours ago, sharks said:

snakes are far far more common in cities than people realise. they prefer to avoid us so we often do not see them.

as a kid living in kenmore (then a bit more edge of brizzy than it is today), during the non winter months, and granted i used to play in reeks and paddocks, i reckon i saw a snake on average every 2nd day. got so familiar, i would often pick them up and examine them - carefully - not now!!

my postie was living in a suburb and had a snake catcher move in next door. my mate told him no snakes here. col had not seen one in five years. the bloke said give me an hour in your place and i'll find you five. and he did. knew where to look.

He had garter snakes living under the steps to my last condo.  Could never get rid of them.  Snakes freak me out.  My dog stepped on a few and she had no idea there was snake under her paw...

Rather have snakes than rats any day as long as they stay outside. Rats freak me out. Hate the filthy buggers. Snakes kill tons of rats so I pretty much leave them alone. We have many snakes in this area once you get outside the city. Lots of people kill them out of ignorance. We wear snake boots while out in the heavily wooded areas and take reasonable precautions and I don't know of anyone who has ever suffered a snakebite.  This is in South Carolina USA   

• Like 3

Ack! You guys are freaking me out. No snakes in Hawaii...although it seems to get more challenging to keep it that way.

5 hours ago, Hutch said:

IMG_0117.JPG.5477b73dec8d289b5f0b08b9abeee268.JPG

This was my 22' Lavender Albino Retic with her first clutch of eggs. :)

love snakes. have been into them since the early 90's. Have put off getting a albino retic because of the size and i dont have the time to care for a snake over 10'

22'... if that is true , you have the largest in captivity. I think fluffy was 20 and the one at prehistoric pets was 20 1/2

19 hours ago, ncardw said:

I want to visit Australia someday, but you guys have so many things that freak me out. Is it a regular occurrence that you see snakes and or venomous spiders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Sydney, about 500 metres away from a nature reserve/national park. In the 16 years we've lived here, I have seen three snakes in my yard. Two Red Bellies and a Brown Snake. (My neighbour identified the Brown, I've no idea, but the Red Bellies I know well)

In two cases, they just went away, not interested in us. It was after periods of heat and dry weather and neighbours explain that it's in search of water. 

The second Red Bellie was actually being harassed by my cat. At one point her paw was on its head, pressing down. It wasn't aggressive. The cat was lol

At the time I had two young kids (three these days) and I grabbed a shovel and whacked it. It would upset the neighbours but it's the kids that I care for etc 

Redback Spiders are plentiful round my area. They are pretty much everywhere. You just have to keep the kids play areas clean and tidy and you'll have no issues.  

Either way, don't be put off, if you come here you'll be perfectly safe. 

1 hour ago, Sean3 said:

What is it about Oz, that their critters have evolved to have not just venom...but absurdly toxic, over the top deadly venom?

it is a good question. my thoughts have always been that we are such a big, open country that they need to kill them asap so they don't lose them. but this article is on topic and goes a bit further.

https://theconversation.com/why-are-some-snakes-so-venomous-22821

7 minutes ago, JohnnyChong said:

This little beauty found its way into the shed be3317cc6adffa968403c6ffaabac989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

he has fed on something - nice big bump. anyone missing a dog or a small child?

poor thing just wanted to have a snooze for a month.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hutch said:

IMG_0117.JPG.5477b73dec8d289b5f0b08b9abeee268.JPG

This was my 22' Lavender Albino Retic with her first clutch of eggs. :)

Wow what a beautiful animal. Cool pic thanks for posting

8 hours ago, JohnnyChong said:

This little beauty found its way into the shed be3317cc6adffa968403c6ffaabac989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most likely a rat judging from the bulge. Whatever it was I am sure u did not want it in your shed. Beautiful snake. Good job on the pic?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 3:51 AM, gweilgi said:

Has he been told about the drop-bears yet?

I had to Google that....at least our chupacabras and jackolopes aren't venomous.

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

it is a good question. my thoughts have always been that we are such a big, open country that they need to kill them asap so they don't lose them. but this article is on topic and goes a bit further.

https://theconversation.com/why-are-some-snakes-so-venomous-22821

Terrific link Ken, with some interesting thoughts as to the "why" so toxic.  I know in the states, some squirrel species have developed a resistance to rattlesnake venom...arms race indeed, as the link suggests.