One seen this morning trying to warm itself on the shore of a creek just off of the Chesapeake Bay.

20170624_061225.thumb.jpg.69affe039d26efcc539226971deb0799.jpg

Looks like a northern water snake. They are known for looking like a water moccasin/cotton mouth, but are harmless. They are very common around the bay. I live on the South River (one of the rivers off the Chesapeake) and I see them pretty regularly in my backyard or on the riverbank. My English Bulldog, who has zero prey drive or hunting instinct, apparently hates snakes and has killed quite a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Looks like a northern water snake. They are known for looking like a water moccasin/cotton mouth, but are harmless.

+1

Good call. Definitely a non-venomous Nerodia, though if you have ever handled one I think the smell of the musk alone elevates it well above 'harmless'

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Any animal w/o legs should never move that fast on land. Sorry to any snake lovers, but they creep me out.
I'm only scared of snakes, capital gains(all taxes for that matter) and the cigar nazi (my wife)...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hedgeybaby said:

More proof, if proof were needed, that God is an Englishman. Nothing nasty here except taxes and the natives.

so did they have to leave for brexit?

as much as i loved living there, i'd say that yes, a great deal more proof was required.

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

so did they have to leave for brexit?

as much as i loved living there, i'd say that yes, a great deal more proof was required.

Hmmm ....

Deep-fried Mars bars.

A national addiction to Yellowtail and Jacob's Creek.

Buckfast tonic wine.

(Insufficiently) microwaved pies and curries in English pubs.

An obsession with the three most dangerous words in the English language: "Health And Safety".

Austerity until the pips squeak.

The sight of English girls displaying far too much of their cellulite and skin the exact tone of a three-day floater the moment summer arrives.

A train service that competes head-on with Australia for unreliability ... but is far, FAR pricier.

A cost of living that is unbearable unless you live in deprived sink estates up North.

Political correctness that has seen bans on Christmas ... even over the objections of groups so "protected". 

Politics that has become nasty and Americanised.

And that's just off the top of my head.  I love Britain, and I can never sing "Jerusalem" or "Land of Hope and Glory" without a discreet quiver of the upper lip, but there is a great deal wrong in this green and sceptre'd isle right now.  The problem with Brexit is that we see and identify many of the things that have gone wrong, but we have hit on the wrong culprit.  When trains don't run, tower blocks burn out, potholes are not fixed, water shortages are so bad that we have to call in the Army, politicians are venal or the local library removes books of nursery rhymes because "bah bah black sheep" is deemed racist ... the fault lies not with a couple of million Poles and other assorted Baltics, nor with integration issues of Pakistanis, nor with EU red tape or Brussels regulatory oppression.  It lies with us.  We let this state of affairs develop.  And that is why Brexit by itself will not fix things.  Brexit may be right or wrong for any number of reasons, but all too many people saw it as the Grand Solution, the magic cure to fix all ills.  It ain't.