June 2017 Trip Report

flinthills

Hey Flint,

Congrats on your haul and on your trip to Cuba. I can't help but feel a lil jealous. Not in a negative way... I'm happy you got into the hobby and shot right for the cream of the crop. The haul you have right now, takes guys months and sometimes years to amass. Great job!  I have to ask, at these LCdH's what's the retail pricing for a box of Cohiba Robusto for example? Are the prices we can find here or other sites out of Geneva competitive? I wonder if they are experiencing shortages there with all the exporting they do. I find it interesting they don't present more in terms of full boxes. The idea of short supply makes me wanna get another humidor and keep piling on while there's still supply to be had. No full boxes of Monte #2?  Seems crazy to me. 

I haven't returned to Cuba since I left 37 years ago this June, by choice mostly. I'm holding out until free elections or for some other movement of good faith by the Cuban govt. I still find joy in knowing some folks are enjoying the beauty my island has to offer. 

Saludos,

Javi

• Like 1

Very nice haul sir. Those ashtrays are the bomb!!

Yes I am too surprised that full boxes of monte 2 at those shops weren't available. I also saw many at the airport dutyfree in Cayo Coco. Now this was back in February. I didn't see hardly any Cohiba. Mind you I went to a crappy LCDH in Cayo Coco. And just the hotel and airport.
Only saw one 3 pack of esplendido at the hotel humidor I was staying at and one box of siglo 6 at the airport. That's it.
Sounds like you had a great trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Very nice haul sir. Those ashtrays are the bomb!!

Yes I am too surprised that full boxes of monte 2 at those shops weren't available. I also saw many at the airport dutyfree in Cayo Coco. Now this was back in February. I didn't see hardly any Cohiba. Mind you I went to a crappy LCDH in Cayo Coco. And just the hotel and airport.
Only saw one 3 pack of esplendido at the hotel humidor I was staying at and one box of siglo 6 at the airport. That's it.
Sounds like you had a great trip emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't just full boxes. We were only in two LCDHs that even had Monte 2s available individually. (One of those two also had the boxes of 15).

Awesome post! Did you see any Cuban Regional Releases at all when you were in Cuba?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Luca said:

Awesome post! Did you see any Cuban Regional Releases at all when you were in Cuba?

I did not. Only 4 of the 8 LCDH I went to let me inside the walk-in humidor and as I mentioned I felt like the good stuff was being held back. It is possible they had some stored away, but nothing out for sale in singles or full boxes.

• Like 1

I did not. Only 4 of the 8 LCDH I went to let me inside the walk-in humidor and as I mentioned I felt like the good stuff was being held back. It is possible they had some stored away, but nothing out for sale in singles or full boxes.

Thats unfortunate :( Im a bit worried as I am looking at going for the festival next year and Im hoping on getting some special RE's. Were the staff a bit rude at any of the LCDHs? How was the "vibe"?

7 minutes ago, Luca said:

Thats unfortunate :( Im a bit worried as I am looking at going for the festival next year and Im hoping on getting some special RE's. Were the staff a bit rude at any of the LCDHs? How was the "vibe"?

I don't know that I would call it rude, but their first response to any question was "No!" If I was asking them to do any kind of work, let me in the humidor, check the back, ask for something I didn't see, get a box from the humidor... all "No." Once I started spending some money they started opening up a bit. The LCDH in Varadero loved me by the time I was finished with my purchase, but were not helpful when I first walked in. Initially, they said they had no Cohiba boxes other than the Maduro 5 Magicos sitting out (and appeared to have been handled quite a bite) and no Limited Editions. Once they saw I was a serious buyer they "found" a cabinet of Robustos and I was able to spot some RyJ Limited Edition Capuletos through the window of the humidor as well as the three boxes of Genios. I found this to be the case almost everywhere I went. I could never figure out why it was this way, whether it was my lack of Spanish speaking (I tried but I my Spanish is very poor), maybe it was that I am American or possibly something else altogether. Either way, no one was ever excited to help me or sell to me. It felt like I was inconveniencing them.

I'm sure that's not the answer you were looking for.

• Like 1

I just got the impression that a lot of cigars are being sold.  Wonder if they can keep up. When I was at the Comodoro, guys were walking in and just stacking boxes on the counter.  They were buying all the larger gauge customs. 

Edited by craigcigars
Spelling

Nice post Flint,

Did you stay at Hotel Nacional, it sure looks like you scored a lot of stuff from them!

I really love those Hotel Nacional ashtrays, it looks like you hit the jackpot. I saw one on eBay that looks a lot like one of them in your picture. Before I place my bid I wanted to check to see if it was yours so I would know it is authentic. Check out the link below and let me know and hopefully I can get one of those for my collection. 

Cool post!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112448807775?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l6027&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI112448807775.N35.S1

16 hours ago, craigcigars said:

I just got the impression that a lot of cigars are being sold.  Wonder if they can keep up. When I was at the Comodoro, guys were walking in and just stacking boxes on the counter.  They were buying all the larger gauge customs. 

I would agree. The individuals at most LCDHs said Americans were buying in very large quantities. They had seen a big increase in sales and difficulty keeping boxes - especially Cohiba in stock for very long at all. Didn't see a lot of others purchasing customs while I was in the big stores but that may have just been timing.

11 hours ago, tak8426 said:

Nice post Flint,

Did you stay at Hotel Nacional, it sure looks like you scored a lot of stuff from them!

I really love those Hotel Nacional ashtrays, it looks like you hit the jackpot. I saw one on eBay that looks a lot like one of them in your picture. Before I place my bid I wanted to check to see if it was yours so I would know it is authentic. Check out the link below and let me know and hopefully I can get one of those for my collection. 

Cool post!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112448807775?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l6027&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI112448807775.N35.S1

We did stay at Hotel Nacional. Interesting place. Very dated. Great location and fantastic back patio/seating area with excellent views. The rooms were just ok and I felt there were probably some nicer hotels we could have stayed in. But why not stay at the Hotel Nacional on your first Cuba visit - I had to! 

Yes, those are mine on eBay, I might have spent a little too much money on the trip..... 

• Like 1

I would agree. The individuals at most LCDHs said Americans were buying in very large quantities. They had seen a big increase in sales and difficulty keeping boxes - especially Cohiba in stock for very long at all. Didn't see a lot of others purchasing customs while I was in the big stores but that may have just been timing.

One look at Facebook and you know why anything Cohiba and Behike is snapped up immediately - instant 100%+ profit. 200% profit on "Monsdales".

On 6/22/2017 at 2:13 PM, Luca said:

My friend found me a box of SLR Marquez in Varadero on June 26. That was the only RE/LE from the last 2 years on shelves

• Like 1