FOH CAN/US Box Pass 2017 - Official Thread!

2 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

Guys, not to worry, there is plenty of cigars at all levels, and should remain that way throughout.  If the quality threshold for the cigars gets way too high for members to reach (which may happen for some cigars naturally but certainly not the majority or all cigars in the pass), I may just have a member add some more Regular/RE stock that is within reach, and I'll just pay that member back for the cigars.

Just a thought I came up with now, but if the overall quality line gets too high, we can consider it. I just don't think we'll get so far that you won't have anything in there to trade for :) 

Sounds like a good solution.  In reality, I would also be surprised if there were no trades in my humidor by the time the box makes it to California.  The pass is off to a great start and some quality smokes going in and departing.  Not too often that a 2010 BHK misses the mark.  

• Like 1

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been stopping by this thread now and again to see how you all have been moving along. I must say, the whole thing looks like it was put together by a military engineer... -LOL ( wait a second,

Alright gents, box has arrived safely in the USA. Was a hot day on arrival so i made sure to take it right out of the 90 degree heat and put directly in the freezer to cool it off ??? My put/takes

I decided to re package the pass box. Nothing wrong with how it was packaged really just needed a refresh and it was kind of bulging at the seams. Chris asked me to post pics to show people what I d

46 minutes ago, topdiesel said:

Sounds like a good solution.  In reality, I would also be surprised if there were no trades in my humidor by the time the box makes it to California.  The pass is off to a great start and some quality smokes going in and departing.  Not too often that a 2010 BHK misses the mark.  

I agree 100%, I think we're off to a great start - and it's true that a 2010BHK rarely misses the mark.  In this case it was the rarity factor with the Sublimes that put it above - tough to find these, whereas guys are selling BHKs often, even with the heavy premium.

I'm sure you'll get great sticks to trade for by the time it makes it to California, mate!

Hello everyone,

Here are my proposed puts/takes - pictures are below:

1) Take: SLR 2008
Put: VR DA 2003 - code unknown, split the box bought in Havana (Club Habana) in 2008 with a friend.  It was a splendid box and the cigar still looks great.

2) Take: Alex Behike 52
Put: Reynaldo's Super Robusto from April 2017.  Needs a bit of time to mellow out (18-24 months imo)

3) Take: Sancho Panza Molinos 2008
Put: Partagas SeleccionPrivada 1 2000  - OSU Jun2000, bought at Club Habana in 2001 and selected by Mons and Cid Gordon (for those who may remember him... btw where is he now??).  As you may notice on the picture the head is slightly damaged, but it should definitely be fine.  The other (and last one that I have) had a knot near the band, so I thought this would be a safer bet.  That was an outstanding box and still smokes great).  If there is any issue with the cigar - which I highly doubt - I will replace it.

4) Take: Dip Bushido 
Put: Cohiba EL 2014, Robusto Supremo which I got in a trade from a generous fellow FOH member (sorry to let this one go)

5) Take: Trini Robusto Extra
Put: Boli GM 2009 - MUA Ago2009, bought at the LCDH del Conde de Villanueva in 2011.  Not much to say other than this is a classic.

I'll try to ship the box to Brent in Burlington tomorrow.

Thanks!

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, treberty said:

Hello everyone,

Here are my proposed puts/takes - pictures are below:

1) Take: SLR 2008
Put: VR DA 2003 - code unknown, split the box bought in Havana (Club Habana) in 2008 with a friend.  It was a splendid box and the cigar still looks great.

2) Take: Alex Behike 52
Put: Reynaldo's Super Robusto from April 2017.  Needs a bit of time to mellow out (18-24 months imo)

3) Take: Sancho Panza Molinos 2008
Put: Partagas SeleccionPrivada 1 2000  - OSU Jun2000, bought at Club Habana in 2001 and selected by Mons and Cid Gordon (for those who may remember him... btw where is he now??).  As you may notice on the picture the head is slightly damaged, but it should definitely be fine.  The other (and last one that I have) had a knot near the band, so I thought this would be a safer bet.  That was an outstanding box and still smokes great).  If there is any issue with the cigar - which I highly doubt - I will replace it.

4) Take: Dip Bushido 
Put: Cohiba EL 2014, Robusto Supremo which I got in a trade from a generous fellow FOH member (sorry to let this one go)

5) Take: Trini Robusto Extra
Put: Boli GM 2009 - MUA Ago2009, bought at the LCDH del Conde de Villanueva in 2011.  Not much to say other than this is a classic.

I'll try to ship the box to Brent in Burlington tomorrow.

Thanks!

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Thanks @treberty - Puts and Takes Approved!  Much appreciated for a quick turnaround!

A note to all on the Partagas Seleccion Privada - I am making an exception to the rule about not putting in damaged cigars in this case, as the rarity of the Partagas Seleccion Privada No.1 makes it a compelling case, and Bertrand's guarantee that it will still smoke perfectly is acceptable for me and will be held to for whoever decides to take this cigar, but to be clear - Puts should not have any evident damage to them, and I will hold future puts/takes to this rule.  Thanks for your understanding everyone!

We're moving pretty quickly, all things considered!  Onward to @havanaclub!

• Like 1

Wanted to start off by saying thank you to Chris for initiating and running this box pass.
Was somewhat handcuffed with several duplicates but after ironing things out with Chris we got some proposed puts and takes.
Puts:
Cohiba Magicos maduro 5
FEB 08
Take: El morro 2012
Put: bolivar petit belicosos EL 2009
Take: PL belicosos extra AP
Put: PSD4 SUB NOV 11
Take: BBF URG OCT 10.
a818c75293e9ef220ec425ff7e229865.jpg196d28414c727dd114fa73827afbfc2f.jpge0bd0ff0084febafc0d35a9edd4c43bd.jpg
Thanks again Chris. Can get this off tomorrow once official approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Wanted to start off by saying thank you to Chris for initiating and running this box pass.
Was somewhat handcuffed with several duplicates but after ironing things out with Chris we got some proposed puts and takes.
Puts:
Cohiba Magicos maduro 5
FEB 08
Take: El morro 2012
Put: bolivar petit belicosos EL 2009
Take: PL belicosos extra AP
Put: PSD4 SUB NOV 11
Take: BBF URG OCT 10.
a818c75293e9ef220ec425ff7e229865.jpg196d28414c727dd114fa73827afbfc2f.jpge0bd0ff0084febafc0d35a9edd4c43bd.jpg
Thanks again Chris. Can get this off tomorrow once official approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good trades mate! Puts/takes APPROVED!

I am still waiting on the package but I thought I would post up my puts/takes in advance. I'll be going into night shifts this weekend and will be short on time.

I also wanted to thank Chris for taking the time to organize this!

Gives

2013 Bolivar Poderosos RE - Belux U/K Box code

0b488296282e93a69ea2a2d270197046.jpg

2014 Juan Lopez Chiado RE - Portugal ORA-DIC-14

3ec4c712cbf651445ee007f97b409655.jpg

Rafael Gonzalez 88 - SOM-DIC-16 RE- Asia Pacific

d1235f26b605d9d472514117b23af86b.jpg

Partagas 898 Varnished - RAE-NOV-14

924229a1b14b58b67ae73201302229d9.jpg

Trinidad Coloniales - APU - JUL -15

2f24ea50583c80054dd38ea311c2cf77.jpg

TAKES

PL Sobersalientes RE UK ’14 AUM SEP 14

RA Short Perfecto RE Italy ’14 OPG DIC 14

ERDM NL No. 1 RE Netherlands TAU NOV 11

Saint Luis Rey Regios EPR JUL 07

Juan Lopez Petit Coronas. EME MAY 14
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, ChrisMG said:

I am still waiting on the package but I thought I would post up my puts/takes in advance. I'll be going into night shifts this weekend emoji43.png and will be short on time.

I also wanted to thank Chris for taking the time to organize this!

Gives

2013 Bolivar Poderosos RE - Belux U/K Box code

0b488296282e93a69ea2a2d270197046.jpg

2014 Juan Lopez Chiado RE - Portugal ORA-DIC-14

3ec4c712cbf651445ee007f97b409655.jpg

Rafael Gonzalez 88 - SOM-DIC-16 RE- Asia Pacific

d1235f26b605d9d472514117b23af86b.jpg

Partagas 898 Varnished - RAE-NOV-14

924229a1b14b58b67ae73201302229d9.jpg

Trinidad Coloniales - APU - JUL -15

2f24ea50583c80054dd38ea311c2cf77.jpg

TAKES

PL Sobersalientes RE UK ’14 AUM SEP 14

RA Short Perfecto RE Italy ’14 OPG DIC 14

ERDM NL No. 1 RE Netherlands TAU NOV 11

Saint Luis Rey Regios EPR JUL 07

Juan Lopez Petit Coronas. EME MAY 14

Great looking sticks and solid proposals - Trades Approved! Fastest guy yet, well done mate! :D

Hopefully you get these in the mail before those night shifts! 

Ok box arrived today! I will have it in the mail and en route to Keith tomorrow.

Box is a little tight but that may be a good thing because it seems to be preventing any movement. The sticks are looking and smelling good so no issues at this point.

My takes

f9992ca2e5f7472fd7038aa1cf6d9c06.jpg

• Like 2

Box Pass Update:

Tracking shows that the Box has been delivered to @CanuckSARTech's mailbox....so hopefully he's able to collect it shortly and keep the line moving!

In the meantime, with the Box about to finish up in Canada and continue into the USA, it's worth noting that the pass seems to be going great so far, with most guys able to do trades of 4 or 5 cigars, and a high level of quality remaining in the pass.  We're ahead of schedule at present (likely the result of losing a couple of guys near the start) and I'm optimistic we can keep the pass moving well as it goes across the border.

A couple of interesting trends I've noticed so far:

• Customs and Regular Cigars are very popular - All original Regular Release and Custom Cigars that started the pass are out, and with a total of 10 Regular and 4 Custom Puts.
  • Discontinued Cigars and LE's are not very popular - only 3 of the original 10 Discontinueds have been Taken so far, and none of the 3 LE's has been taken, while 3 additional LEs have gone in, in place of RE's.

Moving forward, I am looking at a way to get a few more regular release cigars into the pass, on a straight purchase, to ensure that we keep a good range of Regular cigars available for folks without Discontinued or Dbl Banded stock for trading.  I am also considering capping the number of LE's in the pass at the current level, as although we started with only 3 LE's, I don't want to end up with a reverse balance of mostly LE and few REs in the pass.  There is so many more RE's out there, I would like to keep a good variety of them in the pass for folks to choose from.

How does everyone else feel about the pass so far?  What you expected? Better? Worse?  Let me know your thoughts.

Looking forward to continuing into the USA!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

How does everyone else feel about the pass so far?  What you expected? Better? Worse?  Let me know your thoughts.

The pass is moving quickly, which is nice and somewhat unusual. (Better)

The quality moving in and out of the pass is very high. (Better)

I am OK with the idea to cap LE's...Nixing Hoyos...No NC cigars & whatever other tweaks you make as the pass progresses.

• Like 1

Sounds like we're doing good so far, awesome!  Now we just Keith to appear so we can keep this going!

A few offers to help out with the regular production sticks, thanks guys.  I will see where we are once Keith appears, and go from there.  I think the easiest way is for me to straight purchase a few regular sticks from someone in the pass, and have them just add it to the pass. I don't want to do some 2-for-1 trades or something of that ilk to accomplish this - just straight purchase so that it's aside from any trade.  I have a request in with Keith for this, if he can't help then I'll go from there and get in touch with one of you.

The other thing we'll have to keep track of is the Box Pass size itself - the outer packaging box is likely to become too small if we put in additional sticks into the pass, so at some point the box will have to grow as we include a 4th internal cigar box, or just bigger internal boxes than the three we have now.  This means someone will have to make these changes along the line - we'll see how the growth looks when we add the sticks, and decide from there. 

17 hours ago, Tave1225 said:

Pass seems to be going great. I'm ok with capping the LE's. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help add regular production when the box arrives in my hands. Cheers. 

Hugo 

One concurring vote for capping LE's, cool.  I appreciate the offer to help with regular production, thanks mate!  Let's see what happens with Keith and go from there.

16 hours ago, topdiesel said:

The pass is moving quickly, which is nice and somewhat unusual. (Better)

The quality moving in and out of the pass is very high. (Better)

I am OK with the idea to cap LE's...Nixing Hoyos...No NC cigars & whatever other tweaks you make as the pass progresses.

Another concurrence for capping LE's, awesome!  Nice to hear someone else is okay with my ban on Hoyos - I've got a bit of grief from a few guys but I think there is lots of other great cigars out there that we're good even without 'em.

I agree, up to now the pass has moved very fast, the only thing slowing us down is the postal service over the weekend, very impressive to see.  Let's hope we can keep it up!
Ditto with the quality in and out of the pass - Sometimes it takes a few trys over email before posting to make sure we're on the same page, but by and large we're getting great sticks into as well as out of the pass, and It's excellent to see.

16 hours ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

Jeeeeezus! Y'all are about to put those fine stick in the hands of the United States Postal Service!

Did y'all really think this all the way through:wacko:

This is actually really neat to me. Would be several years before I built up stock to be able to join. I'll gladly keep tabs from the sideline, though. 

I thought to my self, when reading "Box Pass" in the thread title, dafuq???

Just the dumb country boy in me, I suppose. 

I may have missed it, but does the box back track back to the originator with more trades/puts taking place?

....Can't be any worse than Canada Post! ;)

By all means, Enjoy it as we go along, I hope there are a few folks watching as we go through - I think there is lots of great trades and interesting cigars to go in and out in the coming weeks!  Check in next time we run it - you don't need a massive collection to participate, but you do need a fair amount of choice to decide from, to make sure what goes in is as interesting as what comes out!

You're correct (I think) - At the end of the box pass, after it passes through the last person in the list, they send it back to me and we're all done.  Ultimately I would have sent out a bunch of cigars into the world, and a bunch of different ones come back eventually. The key with running the pass properly is to consider all the cigars in the pass as owned by the group, not by any one person.  I make sure not to think of any cigars in there as potentially coming back to me in the end, because otherwise it's not fair to everyone else - everyone should have an equal opportunity to trade for any cigar, as long as they have something of equal or better value to trade back in.  It's not always easy, but it's important to make sure everyone enjoys the pass and has an equal chance.

16 hours ago, ChrisMG said:

I'm very happy with the pass. No complaints here.

I can also contribute some regular release. Maybe mail them to someone prior to the boxes arrival?

Thanks Chris - That's another idea too, in case we need to get some regular stuff in right away.  We'll see where we get with Keith and I'll let you know. Thanks!

• Like 1