Cannabis Humidors.......a budding opportunity?

I've spoken with a few people who are growers and could be considered cannabis "connoisseurs" about the subject of aging and the problem seems to be that the psychoactive ingredient has a shelf life where potency begins to drop off.

I think most people who are smoking it recreationally are still looking to get a buzz, so I kind of took away from the conversation that aging the product for months or even years is kind of a non-starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I bet somewhere on the Internet there is a forum just as nerdy as this, but focused on pot instead of cigars.

Perhaps with a online Cannadorservice... :D

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

:rotfl::rotfl:

I am fully aware of an aficionado class of "enthusiasts" who seek pot perfection from breeding to growing to smoking. Their technical discussions on the subject are genuinely fascinating.

Agreed. Living in Colorado we definitely see the variety of cultures and attitudes surrounding marijuana but I think those attitudes will likely evolve over time. Lest we forget that many people still view swisher sweets and black and mild as true cigars. There are varieties of sophistication in any hobby.

I do happen to have a few friends working in the enterprise side of marijuana and I'm constantly fascinated by their stories and understanding of the growing process and the impact that even the slightest mineral can have on the finished product. I think I am fairly versed on cigars but could never in my life claim to have that kind of understanding on cigars. 

Additionally, from an enterprise perspective, it's a fascinating business. Not since the end of WW2 or prohibition have we seen an entire market spring up out of formerly illegal substances. The possibilities in terms of profits are vast. And speaking frankly, I completely agree with the legalize and tax strategy. Most countries struggle to truly adequately fund education and here in CO we see an extra 100-200 million per year solely for their use. I say kudos even though it leads us down the rabbit hole of eventually higher taxes on cigars as well as a "luxury" and "vice" item. 

• Like 1

Generally; freezing of refridgeration are the best storage methods.  Think of pot as "dried vegetable" instead of something cured in the way tobacco is.  The better it is preserved in its freshly dried state (without introducing mold) the better the storage.  

I would worry introducing humidity could spawn mold with would be the worst thing to smoke especially if you health is compromised which may be for those using pot for medical purposes.  The mold can easy consume the whole bud and may not be visible. 

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

:rotfl::rotfl:

I am fully aware of an aficionado class of "enthusiasts" who seek pot perfection from breeding to growing to smoking. Their technical discussions on the subject are genuinely fascinating.

I had a room mate who is basically that guy.  FWIW, he loves a good cigar as well (and not just to split open and re-roll, if you catch my drift).  There is an aficionado class to pretty much anything these days.  I will say however, after taking a few hits off a joint of "new-fangled" pot at the Dead and Company show (and promptly turning into that guy I made fun of in my 20s who was like "damn, this new pot is sooooo strooooong"), I got more than I bargained for in a response from the guy when I asked him "what it was."  Apparently they make organic, sun-grown, blah blah blah pretty much everything. 

57 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe99 said:

It's funny to see how Boveda is heavily marketing to this crowd here in Colorado. All the pot shops have packets for sale. Apparently there is a perfect RH for pot too!

I believe that, technically, Boveda 62s (which are what many including myself use for their CCs) are made for "herbal medicine". 

• Like 2

Interesting. I suspect humidity-controlled storage would be more important for people on the business side. Dealers, dispensaries, etc. Maybe those who live in extreme climates. Back when I used to partake, it was definitely noticeable in terms of which dispensaries took care in their work and tried to sell a professional product. And which ones were just glorified drug dealers.

2 hours ago, Danimalia said:

Interesting. I suspect humidity-controlled storage would be more important for people on the business side. Dealers, dispensaries, etc. Maybe those who live in extreme climates. Back when I used to partake, it was definitely noticeable in terms of which dispensaries took care in their work and tried to sell a professional product. And which ones were just glorified drug dealers.

Certainly humidity adds weight where a to professional this would be of concern.  Consumer not so much; they'll want it on the drier side.  In legalized states, prices have dropped enormously and I suspect will continue to fall some more.  Someone I know is working on setting up "Home Depot" sized commercial operations for when everything is up in & running in our state.  He said even on that scale of agriculture, it cost around $800 a pound to make something top shelf. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Certainly humidity adds weight where a to professional this would be of concern.  Consumer not so much; they'll want it on the drier side.  In legalized states, prices have dropped enormously and I suspect will continue to fall some more.  Someone I know is working on setting up "Home Depot" sized commercial operations for when everything is up in & running in our state.  He said even on that scale of agriculture, it cost around $800 a pound to make something top shelf. 

Interesting that the prices have dropped in places with full legalization. I know here in California, when it was just medical, the prices were still pretty high. So much so that even though I had a medical rec, I still frequently bought from old school dealers.    

Even though I don't partake anymore, I  am glad to see it being legalized and bright above board

Cannabis humidors? :lol:  I can't say that I'm totally surprised, and I'm sure some people will fall for it.  However, it's totally unnecessary.  Cannabis, unlike cigars, is at its best when fresh.  Flavors and potency are at their peak 30-60 days after harvest, following a proper drying and curing process.  If stored in mason jars, cannabis can be well maintained for 6-8 months.  You can store it longer if you really want to, but I see no need to do so.  Indoor cannabis crops can be harvested every 8-12 weeks.   

If cannabis is your thing, my advice is to save your money on the cannabis humidor, buy some mason jars and spend the rest on more cannabis. :P       

50 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

Cannabis humidors? :lol:  I can't say that I'm totally surprised, and I'm sure some people will fall for it.  However, it's totally unnecessary.  Cannabis, unlike cigars, is at its best when fresh.  Flavors and potency are at their peak 30-60 days after harvest, following a proper drying and curing process.  If stored in mason jars, cannabis can be well maintained for 6-8 months.  You can store it longer if you really want to, but I see no need to do so.  Indoor cannabis crops can be harvested every 8-12 weeks.   

If cannabis is your thing, my advice is to save your money on the cannabis humidor, buy some mason jars and spend the rest on more cannabis. :P       

You're surprisingly knowledgeable on this subject MahDoorow!  :lol3:

• Like 1

I have thought about this many times...

The potential market (as I see it) is with the dealer. Understanding hygroscopicity and its contribution to the weight of the product, properly storing your 'herbs' can pay for itself. Some of my friends tried to get me involved in this years ago!

I have never been into recreational drugs and I know absolutely nothing about it... What I do know is that even though states have legalized these products (and I happen to see it as a state matter from a law enforcement perspective) the Feds maintain a position of supremacy.

With my luck, if I were to get involved in this 'trade' the DEA would come down on it and I would lose everything! -LOL No thanks...

Some of my friends are 'medical MJ' users and one of the semi-local dispensaries is owned by a guy that I went to high school with. The guy puts about 250K a year into legal defense! Even though it is legal, it does not stop him from getting arrested from time to time. He gets his day in court and he always wins! He has been nailed for racketeering, to money laundering... you name it. He keeps records, pays his taxes and is totally above board. The point is, it costs him a pile every time it happens just in legal fees. He just recently won a substantial case where a lot of his 'assets' were seized... How that is going to be made back is beyond me... I mean does law enforcement give you your dope back....? -LOL I have no idea.

If it were totally legal I would certainly look into the business. As long as the DEA exists and 'supremacy' remains the law of the land (Federally) I will stay clear of it. I just don't need the trouble.

It makes me wonder, when you file your federal tax return and call yourself 'self-employed' purveyor of cannabis, do you essentially admit freely that you a breaking federal law??? Or, do you not have to disclose the source of your business due to the 5th Amendment??? 

Funny times we live in... -Piggy

7 hours ago, Sean3 said:

You're surprisingly knowledgeable on this subject MahDoorow!  :lol3:

:D Cannabis was a big part of my life for many years, but I'm now retired.  These days I only smoke cigars.

• Like 1