Cannabis Humidors.......a budding opportunity?

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 AM, SmokeyJoe99 said:

It's funny to see how Boveda is heavily marketing to this crowd here in Colorado. All the pot shops have packets for sale. Apparently there is a perfect RH for pot too!

This is especially true for the dry Colorado climate, your stash will crumble and turn to dust in matter of days.  As for the retail side, more moisture equals more weight; more weight equals more $$$.

I am in the legal cannabis industry in Canada and I find this area fascinating. There is still a lot of research to be done on the subject. 

Cannabis does benefit from being kept in a controlled environment (temperature relative humidity, no UV exposure and ambient oxygen levels). The ideal storage RH is usually a bit higher than the ideal RH for consumption. When the cannabis dries too much and is kept for an extended period of time, it will become brittle, flavor will be altered and will begin to degrade. Certain compounds are affected when dried too much. When ready to smoke, dry boxing will allow cannabis to burn better and reduce tar buildup due to excessive moisture content. Sounds a lot like cigars from a certain perspective.

Also, for those that keep their cannabis in mason jars, UV light negatively affects various cannabinoids. It is important to keep cannabis in a container that does not let UV light to penetrate and is sealed hermetically. I have an issue with wood humidors for storage, the dried trichomes (crystals) stick to the wood and leave residue behind that can be tricky to remove on wood. 

As for aging cannabis, there is some pretty interesting research being done on the subject, it will be a while before the results are in. Cannabis is aged in a tightly controlled environment and lab testing conducted at various stages to know exactly what is going on with the compounds as the cannabis ages.

I have seen some cannabis that has been kept in a tightly controlled environment, it was different than it was when fresh, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...