The best American rums 2017

To be honest I never knew that the US produced rum. On reflection, there is no reason they shouldn't produce some crackers. 

This is a brief article http://www.caribjournal.com/2017/07/03/rum-journal-americas-best-rums-2017/

let us know if you tried any. 

let us know of other American rums that you have tried and enjoyed. Give us some tasting notes if you can. :ok:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

sadly, i've tried very few (and none that were memorable, though that is more about the circumstances than the quality) but you can pretty much assume that anywhere that grows sugar will be making rum or a rum-style of drinks.

after bacardi, the next two largest producers of rum are from the philippines and india. two more places that one does not immediately associate with rum. they surprised me.

I actually tried a couple of the Koloa rums last week when I was in Hawaii. The "White" and the "Dark". Both were good, but not particularly memorable. They were both extremely smooth though, almost to a fault. I'm typically a beer guy, but I needed something stronger to calm my nerves after I jumped out of an airplane........

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, madandana said:

I've had Papas pillar dark. Love it. Very rich.

I second this; I think me and you have been preaching this on the other rum threads for a while... good stuff.  

• Like 1

https://www.keywestlegalrum.com/

I actually met the owner, Paul Menta in May while in Havana.  We both took the train out to Hershey, Cuba to see the old sugar mill/plant.  He had brought in some of his different rums to share with the Cuban people and we passed around several bottles on the train.  Really nice guy, some kind of kite boarding legend although we hit it off because I was wearing a Philadelphia Phillies t-shirt and he is originally from the area.

I thought the rums I tasted were very good, although to be honest, I was having a blast in Havana, riding an electric train while also drinking Bucanero and smoking a Reynaldo Topes so it could of been crap and I still would have had a smile on my face!!!

• Like 1

Second on trying Koloa (dark).  It may not be the best in the world but it's still damn good and freaking great when you are there drinking it.  My brother and I found ourselves going back to the store everyday to buy a new bottle.  If that is any consolation*.

Edited by YOM'$

The siesta key rum is good stuff, I've been to the distillery down in Sarasota before. I've had a bottle of papa's pillar for the past 2 years I can't stand though, waaaay too much spice.

I go through a bottle of Pilar 24 about every 2 weeks. I've never tried it with any sort of mixers, too damn good on the rocks. I haven't done a side by side yet, but it has some similarities to HC7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Because I've been exploring rums (thanks to recommendations on this board), my son brought me a bottle of the Koloa Kaua'i Spice back from a Hawaiian trip and it's really, really nice. I pick up vanilla and other spices. It's smooth and at its best sipped neat. 

The only problem being its limited availability in the lower 48. So I'm nursing my bottle judiciously.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, YOM'$ said:

Second on trying Koloa (dark).  It may not be the best in the world but it's still damn good and freaking great when you are there drinking it.  My brother and I found ourselves going back to the store everyday to buy a new bottle.  If that is any consolation*.

X3 on Koloa Dark Rum. On my second bottle, once the weather cools in the fall this stuff is awesome pairing with a Cuban cigar.

+ Pilar Dark.

Un-chilled glass with an ice cube. I want the ice to melt quickly and cut the richness of the rum. 

Probably my second favorite after Ron Cartavio XO for me. I like'em sweet... :D

- AlBaron

• Like 2

• 2 months later...