FOH Mould Study

Ferrero

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea behind the mould study was to shed some light into the world of mould and plume.   Earlier in the year we asked for examples of both from members and then selected 10 representative ciga

Time to update the FOH definition: PLUME/PLOOM/BLOOM noun  plüm / blüm What people think are the crystalized remnants of oils left on a cigar wrapper.... but really it's just mold.

I can see the next trend: Hey guys do you think it's Candida Parapsilosis or Aspergillus? Dude, that's Penicillium ascomycetous! You're joking that's obviously Wallemia sebi!

Fantastic study and extremely interesting results. Thanks for all of the work here and to all that contributed. 

Rob, you need to offer something to or make a wager with other vendors if they can produce a sample with something other than mold... put their money where their mouth is.... 

I was a skeptic. Now I am a non-believer.  But, there's intrigue and maybe even hope that something is still out there. I stay tuned. 

• Like 1

Great work Greg and Jer!

For the record I am a believer that plume exists. I just need to find the right example to test. 

That example will turn up and those crystalline structures will possibly be salt or sugar or yeast. 

We will find out! It is great that we now have the ability to test. 

• Like 4

Wow that is awesome, well done mates! :clap:

I wonder if my Partagas Lonsdales was one of the two that had "potential"....I am very interested to know now that it's mold!

* Feverishly runs down to humidor to wipe off my remaining Lonsdales * :innocent:

Are any of these mold species of concern or toxicity if ingested by humans? Besides the Penicillin obviously:rolleyes:

So now the last question - did any of these fine specimens get smoked and enjoyed by the Czar crew?  I'd hate for them to go to waste!

Just now, ChanceSchmerr said:

Wow that is awesome, well done mates! :clap:

I wonder if my Partagas Lonsdales was one of the two that had "potential"....I am very interested to know now that it's mold!

* Feverishly runs down to humidor to wipe off my remaining Lonsdales * :innocent:

So now the last question - did any of these fine specimens get smoked and enjoyed by the Czar crew?  I'd hate for them to go to waste!

The Party Lonsdale indeed was one with "potential" :ok:

Most people I know would have called that plume. Tight structure. Looked potentially crystalline at normal view. 

I have no idea where the cigars are now.  One for Greg to answer :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

The Party Lonsdale indeed was one with "potential" :ok:

Most people I know would have called that plume. Tight structure. Looked potentially crystalline at normal view. 

I have no idea where the cigars are now.  One for Greg to answer :D

Thanks Rob. I too had always thought it was plume - it looked crystalline to me.  
At least i can say they still smoke like a dream, 15 years of age has done them well, slight aspergillus aside :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, joeruby said:

All samples turned out to be mould!

So do we still value  aged cigars with 'white powder' on their surface, which now have a very high chance of being mould, any differently now?

10 samples is a small sample set. Mind you we had 30 to choose from. However there was an obvious double and triple up in obvious examples of mould. 

We will continue on this. 

6 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

Fascinating. Now we know it's mould, we need to set about finding the exact cause.

High moisture content or rollers' dirty hands? ?

I was intrigued reading about the different type of fungi. 

Moisture, salt and or sugar (glucose) is required for most of these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

Fascinating. Now we know it's mould, we need to set about finding the exact cause.

High moisture content or rollers' dirty hands? ?

I don't believe they have these signs in Cuban cigar factories...

OSHA-Employee-Wash-Hands-Sign-ONS-13145_1000.thumb.gif.60fceb065661995c5e243a9bc187b1f0.gif

The hunt is on for the holy grail, genuine Plume..

Rob, did the team at Australian Biotech give any hints as to what genuine plume might look or feel like, up close or to the naked eye from their findings?

Or is it that the only way to be sure is via scientific analysis in every case

This has been an amazing read and I appreciate all of your efforts immensely. Thank you for helping to get to the bottom of this.