FOH Mould Study

Ferrero

Prolonged wetness rots tobacco, but you are much more likely to encounter ‘bloom’. This is a white, powdery mould that occurs naturally on a Habano when it is subjected to a sudden increase in humidity. It is a sign that the cigar is alive and well and should simply be removed with a brush.

this is  habanos saying bloom is mold 

Sure that was not H&F the uk importer they coined the term bloom I believe to have a nicer word than mould to use.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea behind the mould study was to shed some light into the world of mould and plume.   Earlier in the year we asked for examples of both from members and then selected 10 representative ciga

Time to update the FOH definition: PLUME/PLOOM/BLOOM noun  plüm / blüm What people think are the crystalized remnants of oils left on a cigar wrapper.... but really it's just mold.

I can see the next trend: Hey guys do you think it's Candida Parapsilosis or Aspergillus? Dude, that's Penicillium ascomycetous! You're joking that's obviously Wallemia sebi!

I've been taking pictures of things that grow on my cigars for years, maybe once I saw something that could have been plume. Every single other time, it was mold.
The most recent example:
IMG_2835.jpg
Notice how white it is and how it wipes off (left part) without leaving any mark:
(those are 2 of the main criteria of the bloom-believers: it is white and wipes off without mark)
IMG_2841.jpg

lets have a closer look:
IMG_2799small.jpg
IMG_2808small.jpg
Stack1small.jpg
Stack1crop.jpg
Stack2small.jpg

Stack2crop.jpg

Aspergillus at its best.

Wow... amazing pictures!!! Definitely still a skeptic on the plume/bloom topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, El Presidente said:

15 hours ago, Germin8er said:

Still waiting for the original post to be updated. You said it was being merged with the second round of samples, but I don't see the second batch in there yet, nor do I see the descriptions of much of the second round being bacteria. This is being linked ALL OVER THE PLACE as the new authority on this issue, so a very thorough arrangement of both completed tests would be very helpful. Also, have there been any other tests done since, and have you received any sticks sent in from people claiming they have plume that you have tested? Educating the masses - let's get with it folks! Thanks for your work!

This is an internal study. We really couldn't give a rats arse who links to it.

I think it's all here, merged into this single thread (the second round with the bacterial results is to be found in Gregs post on page 6). But it seems, now there is only the pictures of the respective lots on display, while the text part with Greg's descriptions of the results got lost during thread-merging.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:47 AM, El Presidente said:

This is an internal study. We really couldn't give a rats arse who links to it.

We will get back to it in January, or February. We have sent out some samples for retesting. We will work at our pace as time allows. 

I'm a jackass and I'm sick, don't listen to me please. I'm sorry.

44 minutes ago, Fugu said:

I think it's all here, merged into this single thread (the second round with the bacterial results is to be found in Gregs post on page 6). But it seems, now there is only the pictures of the respective lots on display, while the text part with Greg's descriptions of the results got lost during thread-merging.

Yeah that's what I was looking for - the information from the second round of testing hasn't been merged. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Germin8er said:

I thought you would be interested that it's being widely used as the only scientific proof against plume. It's important to a lot of people, I guess just not you, oddly. You're asking outsiders to send in samples for testing to find plume, that's not an internal study. Sorry to bother you...

He's asked FOH members who are interested in participating to supply samples to test - on his dime. Telling him how to arrange the test, and asking him to "get with it" is at the very least, insulting. Anybody anywhere is free to conduct their own tests.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Germin8er said:

I thought you would be interested that it's being widely used as the only scientific proof against plume. It's important to a lot of people, I guess just not you, oddly. You're asking outsiders to send in samples for testing to find plume, that's not an internal study. Sorry to bother you...

Wow!     :confused:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt45 said:

He's asked FOH members who are interested in participating to supply samples to test - on his dime. Telling him how to arrange the test, and asking him to "get with it" is at the very least, insulting. Anybody anywhere is free to conduct their own tests.

Ok, you're right. My apologies, I shouldn't have responded this way. I'm sick as a hell right now and cranky, please ignore me.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the photos really don't require a scientific study! This is one of a stick I've had for around 10 years. Very subtle dusting of white on it. And smoked very nicely indeed thank you very much.

I could argue this is the real McCoy. But not a lot of the pics I've seen!

Best wishes all!

9463e9a0dc21562762e10e7fe373d01d.jpgfd1735fd4a6cdb1ae9419d0890bfb622.jpgf1ce6cb2b824c05dcf7c9067e8f036e5.jpg

ac6d5100840dd850c4f5b30576f7a9ab.jpg

On 12/3/2017 at 3:36 AM, CigarNerd said:

I've been taking pictures of things that grow on my cigars for years, maybe once I saw something that could have been plume. Every single other time, it was mold.

The most recent example:

lets have a closer look:

Stack1crop.jpg

Aspergillus at its best.

Amazing macro pics.  what's your setup? is it a normal dslr?  geeking out about photography now :) 

17 hours ago, mrmessy said:

Amazing macro pics.  what's your setup? is it a normal dslr?  geeking out about photography now :) 

There is only one lens out there that will achive those results: Canon MP-E 65
You can use it with any Canon DSLR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A 500x photograph of true crystalline plume. It does exist, followed by a mold picture

Do you mind sharing what band is on that cigar? It may be just the oddities of the pic, but it almost looks like flecks from a gold band like one that I had from a box of RASS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1