Montecristo 80 Aniversario

In 1935, Alonso Menéndez created the Montecristo brand, meaning that 2015 marked its 80th anniversary—and of course, warrants an anniversary cigar... And.. of course they are late to the party again.

Beautiful cigar, very smooth wrapper, milk chocolate, just a few very small veins:

first pic not lit.jpg

Nice bunching:

bunching.jpg

Pairing with a coke on ice...

Warm summer evening, around 6:50 pm, and about 85 degrees outside.

I use the largest punch I could find

punch.jpg

Initial aroma: very mild sweet hay.

Cold draw:

Very salty, with a bit of leather...

This much salt has to be from someone rolling these on a very hot humid day... Sweat is sweat, whether it is from a beautiful young virgin, or some old fat guy, but... since there is no way to really know, it's very important to create the mental image that helps you to enjoy the cigar as much as possible... I am picturing this beautiful young maiden, with glistening thighs...

cuban girl.jpg

Initial thought upon lighting:

Still slightly salty, muted, not much flavor... and big... very big. I start massaging my lips, to prevent stretch marks...

First third:

Perfect burn so far with a blended light and dark grey ash... the salt... its presence is still there, but now mostly on my lips... I find myself refraining from licking them, trying not to have it ruin my experience...

1st third.jpg

I was expecting an abundance of creamy smoke, which should be expected for a ring gauge of 70 (really 55, but big nonetheless) but it is not there... I try pulling a large amount of smoke and slowly let it go out my mouth and nose... still nothing...

Second third:

Still very mild, and not a lot of flavor... I find myself retroing each puff, and get a mild spice through the nose, but nothing very distinctive... I feel like I've wasted 40 minutes of my life so far with this one...

A little over halfway, and I just can't take it any longer...

halfway.jpg

I toss it into the ashtray, and think about the other 80's I have tried, which (except for the salt) were very similar to this one...

Notes:

• Salty
  • Very, very mild
  • Chunked

Score:

50/100 (Ok, I had to give it some points for the poor girl who rolled it)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, planetary said:

Thanks for the review.  Pity about the cigar.  Any chance you can re-attempt uploading the photos?

I have checked with several browsers and see them fine... Does anyone else have a problem seeing the photos?

I have checked with several browsers and see them fine... Does anyone else have a problem seeing the photos?

Tapatalk doesn't display them on my iPhone 7 :(

• 1 year later...

You knoW, I had a very similar experience recently. 

I went in with moderate expectations but was sorely disappointed. I didn’t get the salt (so hopefully no sweaty fat man rolled mine) but I got total blandness. Almost nothing at all really. Aside from the fact that the rg was just too obnoxious to make it enjoyable.