Outdoor smoking in summer

It is sweltering hot right now in North Texas, and its a struggle to enjoy a long smoke these days given the heat! Indoor smoking isn't an option for me, unfortunately, so I am forced to step out into the sauna to enjoy a smoke. Already have a ceiling fan installed, but it doesn't move a whole lot of air. One option I have read about is a portable "swamp cooler" or evaporative air cooler. I've read a lot of mixed reviews, and not sure how well it would work in this area. Anybody use one of these while smoking? My concern would be getting that humidity into the cigar and making it wet while smoking. I've also seen some misting fans, but I have the same concern regarding moisture and the cigar

What do you guys and gals do to keep cool outdoors in the summertime while enjoying a cigar? 

• Like 1

Yea I was in North Carolina last weekend. Had to take 3 breaks and lost probably a gallon of sweat, but the Bolivar belicosos finos was so damn good I couldn't quit! It was 10 pm at night and had to have been over 90 degrees F and 80% humidity! I signed up at a local cigar bar in the winter because it wasn't enjoyable sitting outside in 20 degrees, now it's reversed. Any bars/lounges near you? They can get pricey for memberships depending on how they are run, but IMO worth every penny in the middle of summer and winter! Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The issue you'll run into with a swamp cooler in your area is the evaporation aspect. The air is already saturated with water, so it's difficult to add more, which is what's necessary for a swamp cooler to work. That's why you tend to find them in dryer climates like my house in Denver

Hopefully you can figure something out though! Might I suggest a shed with a small ac unit? Fwiw, I'm considering the opposite for winter smoking here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This response was based on the assumption that it's humid where you are. If that's not the case, don't mind me!

If it's a dry climate a swamp cooler would work in theory. Not sure if you'd be able to create enough cooling to overcome the extreme heat though

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When my unit would go to the field at Ft. Hood temperatures would reach in excess of 100°F with humidity levels from 80-100%.  Besides ticks and flies the one thing we had plenty of were generators.  So one enterprising Soldier shows up with a window unit air conditioner.  He got funny looks and lots of laughs until he hooked it up to a generator and sat in the doorway (flaps) of the GP medium tent his squad was bunked in.  Next trip to the field window units were the order of the day.  I know it sounds ridiculous but we had a saying in the Army that applied to a lot of wacky ideas; if it's stupid but works, it's not stupid!   

Perhaps you could set up a small tent with a window unit in the backyard.   I know some of our northern brothers set one up in the winter to have a warm place to smoke.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the summer in the UK we try and time it between periods of rain, temp generally not an issue.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if outside in the elements.  I wouldn't introduce more moisture, so  the swamp cooler is out.  The only thing you can do, imho, is to move some air with a fan.  That will cool you, but it will make the cigar burn and taste like crap.  There's no good option I know of, other than to move inside.

If you have an understanding wife and an empty bedroom, you might consider taking the empty bedroom as your man cave, and ventilate it with a high cfm bathroom exhaust fan.  That's what I did, and it works great.   

Guest robitowitz

I'm in the Carolinas and have the same issue with the heat and humidity...Nothing better than an evening shower to cool things down and enjoy a cigar.

Unfortunately for me, I'm a diva, so if the weather isn't cooperating, I don't end up smoking.  Cigar lounges are always an option for climate control if there's one closeby.  Otherwise, sounds like its time for a man cave.

I'm in North Texas too, so I feel your pain man. I find myself waiting for the sun to go down if I want to smoke. Indoors isn't an option, so it's bake in the heat or fight off the insects at night. Don't get me wrong, it's still hot at night, but not blazing!

I'm in Florida and also an outdoor smoker.  It's definitely too hot and humid to smoke during the day, so I do my smoking after the sun goes down.  The temperatures are still north of 80F (even at 2 AM) with high humidity, but I try to make the best of it.  I'd rather smoke in hot weather than not smoke at all. 

I am also in North Texas.  A few years back, our central air went out (needed replacing).  The soonest anyone could come out was 3 weeks.  This was during the hottest time of the year.  I built a "redneck" air conditioner.  Big cooler with a hole cut on top for a small table fan, and another hole for a pvc pipe.  Fill cooler with ice, turn on the fan and you get a cold(ish) breeze out of the PVC pipe.  Didn't really cool down a room, but if you sit in front of the air flow, if feels good. 

Not sure if they have a direct website or not.  I received It in an email from indiegogo a while back and have always been interested in the idea.  Would be very useful for BBQ, beach trips, tailgate parties, you name it really.   

• Like 2

Its been getting over 100F (38C) here during the day. My cigar smoking is confined to the early mornings before things heat up. Its very pleasant then. I'm a very early riser so this works out well. In the late afternoon & early evenings its still too hot to be comfortable, and the winds pick up making cigar smoking a chore.
I don't smoke cigars indoors at our house. I will smoke a pipe indoors though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm in Tampa, and I set up a fan either just below or just above the table level I have the ashtray on. Still, this depends on the overall weather, so I'm ready in a moments notice if there is a rain storm that pops up and cools off the porch. Not a perfect solution, so I'm planning on enclosing the porch with windows and run some AC in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Find a cigar friendly pub with a good happy hour!  Have a few good ones here on the Florida Gulf Coast.

Hope you find some relief!

• 10 months later...

South Carolina coast here. It’s like a sauna outside. Walking outside with my perfectly dry boxed sticks turns them into wet sponges in about 5 minutes. Nevertheless, I’m currently able to enjoy this RAS out here although I am drawing more frequently to keep it lit. 

• Like 1

Why anyone would live outside of the West Coast is beyond me.  Super low humidity and year around comfortable temps.  80's all summer long with single digit humidity.  Over evening temps drop down to the low 60's.

• Haha 2