Outdoor smoking in summer

3 hours ago, Monterey said:

Why anyone would live outside of the West Coast is beyond me.  Super low humidity and year around comfortable temps.  80's all summer long with single digit humidity.  Over evening temps drop down to the low 60's.

I would get a lot more cigar smoking done with conditions like that ?

• Like 1

Lots of things to complain about in NorCal, but being able to smoke on my deck essentially year round isn’t one of them.

• Like 2

Conditions in Southern Ontario, Canada are great right now. Love this type of weather, I am not a big fan of sweating buckets while having a stick, but if I can sit outside comfortably, I'll have 2-3.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, luv2fly said:

Been there but I am very happy where I am.  Humidity and all the trappings.

Why anyone would want to live in such a nice place with low humidity and year round comfy temps is beyond me.  Here in the south, we love the brutal and suffocating humidity, temp swings, and the tornados.  The bugs are a real plus too!  And don't forget sweet tea and biscuits and gravy.  

:rotfl:

I briefly moved to the pan handle (NAS Pensacola) while in the navy.  I went out to breakfast on the first day and the waitress asked me if I wanted sweet tea and grits (and called me "hon").  Sugar tea for breakfast?  I didn't even know what grits were.  Even in late October the humidity and temperature were horrid.   Strange world some of you live in!

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Monterey said:

I briefly moved to the pan handle (NAS Pensacola) while in the navy.  I went out to breakfast on the first day and the waitress asked me if I wanted sweet tea and grits (and called me "hon").  Sugar tea for breakfast?  I didn't even know what grits were.  Even in late October the humidity and temperature were horrid.   Strange world some of you live in!

Yes, strange indeed.  "Hon" is normal where I live and it is said with all respect.  Sweet tea at anytime is how we do it.  Unfortunately I cant have too many of them or the biscuits and gravy.  I feel like my doctor is forcing me out of my natural habitat. Soon I will be a man without a place in the grill with the fat back!

:tantrum:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

Thank you for your service!   :perfect10:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find that my cigars smoke really well in humidity. I smoked one of my best ever BHK 52 in Dallas, at night, when it was still 95-100 with 70% humidity. I’ve smoked in Florida in the golf course and on the beach and the cigars were great. This humidity will not affect the cigar unless you let it go out. They are rolled in the tropics....

Personal comfort is the main issue. Where I live it was 109 today. I’m not desperate enough to smoke in that weather. So this time of year I smoke in the am and about this time.

I can relate, I live in S. Florida where 80% humidity and temps in the 90's is par for the course 8-9 months of the year, and the damn blood sucking mosquitos - ugh!! 

I suggest setting up a shady spot so you can get out of sun. Also suggest loading up on shorter cigars for the hottest months so you can still get out for a smoke without enduring the heat and humidity for 2 hours at a time.  A decent fan to keep air moving and blow away the mosquitos will also help improve your smoking pleasure. 

On 6/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, luv2fly said:

Been there but I am very happy where I am.  Humidity and all the trappings.

Why anyone would want to live in such a nice place with low humidity and year round comfy temps is beyond me.  Here in the south, we love the brutal and suffocating humidity, temp swings, and the tornados.  The bugs are a real plus too!  And don't forget sweet tea and biscuits and gravy.  

:rotfl:

+1 on West Coast temperate climate...but +100 for sweet tea and biscuits and gravy!

Enjoying a CoRo this evening. A little chilly at 65 degrees but a vest and some bourbon takes the edge off.

- Wheezy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, Orion21 said:

I find that my cigars smoke really well in humidity. I smoked one of my best ever BHK 52 in Dallas, at night, when it was still 95-100 with 70% humidity. I’ve smoked in Florida in the golf course and on the beach and the cigars were great. This humidity will not affect the cigar unless you let it go out. They are rolled in the tropics....

Personal comfort is the main issue. Where I live it was 109 today. I’m not desperate enough to smoke in that weather. So this time of year I smoke in the am and about this time.

In SE Asia, I used to try like crazy to keep my cigars at 65/65 and was forever struggling with wonky burns and bitter flavors when smoking out of doors.  Indoors was fine, outdoors the wrapper would humidify quickly while the filler stayed dry and would burn up the center.  Gave up on 65/65 for smoking (I still store at that level long term) and let the sticks acclimatize to the ambient conditions (sort of 'wet boxing' if you like) and now it's a much better experience.