Wrapper Repair Help

Tricky, as this is really heavily beaten up. However, the binder appears still intact, so technically it should be smokeable. To keep the wrapper from completely unravelling, what you could try is a makeshift repair using strips of cigarette paper with thinly applied gum tragacanth- or gum-arabicum solution ("cigar repair"-glue). At least for the part from band onwards towards head I'd try that.

• Like 1

Put it to one side.

Keep saving your Piramide cut offs (paying attention to try and cut them at deep as possible without unravelling the heads). You will be able to get enough wrapper tobacco, from about 3 cigars to patch that. Get some 'El Torcedor" Cigar glue of ebay. and you can just patch it up. Leave it to bond for a couple of days and smoke it.

you could do something very dirty, and stitch it with rizla paper. 

.......OR yep, just toss it. or save it to repair other cigars with in the future

• Like 4

Life is too short, toss it.  If you smoke enough messed up cigars or cigars with poor construction, you would probably come to that same conclusion.  So in the spirit of self growth, smoke this one as is and build your own limits.  If it was a rare $100 cigar, then I would likely do my best to salvage.  Petit monte #2 not worth it.  Another option is to chop it up and smoke in a pipe.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, topdiesel said:

Petit monte #2 not worth it.

Flawed arguments here. If it weren't worth it, I'd advise on not buying it in the first place. But OP bought it, so might be worth him a quick repair I guess (you may toss 8 bucks, but then be consequent and toss the remainig ones as well - or just try a repair).

22 minutes ago, 99call said:

you could do something very dirty, and stitch it with rizla paper.

Not at all a "dirty" solution, it's the simplest, easiest and quickest makeshift in such a case. Make sure you use a thin paper, like Rizla silver (I tend to snag it from my boy...), absolutely taste neutral, you won't notice it (in a Petit 2 anyway... :P). It's not as if you'd wrap the whole stick in a triple layer of paper.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, irratebass said:

Google PerfecDraw, they make a perfecrepair as well.

Actually I took the liberty of finding it for you

http://perfecdraw.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would check out his videos.  Maybe fixing it will be a good experience to see if it was worth the effort.  How it smokes.  And you may be the kind of guy who likes fixing things.:)

30 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Flawed arguments here. If it weren't worth it, I'd advise on not buying it in the first place. But OP bought it, so might be worth him a quick repair I guess (you may toss 8 bucks, but then be consequent and toss the remainig ones as well - or just try a repair).

Flawed arguments?  to your logic and value scale, not mine.  $8 for a shitty experience, all the time repairing it, and a waste of an hour and a half of my time is much more costly than just $8.  I value my free time significantly more than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Not at all a "dirty" solution, it's the simplest, easiest and quickest makeshift in such a case. Make sure you use a thin paper, like Rizla silver (I tend to snag it from my boy...), absolutely taste neutral, you won't notice it (in a Petit 2 anyway... :P). It's not as if you'd wrap the whole stick in a triple layer of paper.... :rolleyes:

It was just a caveat comment for the anal purists out there. I am not one of them, but I thought some might come back with and avalanche of "WHHHAAAT!!!" The gummy bits surely can't be totally neutral? I don't know? is it just tacky veg glue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topdiesel said:

Flawed arguments?  to your logic and value scale, not mine.  $8 for a shitty experience, all the time repairing it, and a waste of an hour and a half of my time is much more costly than just $8.  I value my free time significantly more than that.

Cost me less than 5 min. About two min on day one, two more the next day... (well, it demands a skilled hand of course.... haha). You may do it while smoking another Petit 2, so not any more time wasted as yet already.... :lol3:

On a serious note though - Yes, of course flawed argumentation. You didn't get my point TopD - it's not about your or my value scale - perhaps you'd toss it, perhaps I'd do it, too - it's about the OP's. Were he not caring about it and were it not worth him asking he had surely tossed it in the first place. Five - or may it be even 10 min invested could potentially salvage him a 50-min smoke, so what....? The more fundamental question whether a MP2 is truly worth it (i.e. = being worthwhile smoking) is purely in the eye of the beholder. But it certainly is not dependent on the price of said stick, whether 5 or 100 bucks - the enjoyment is not (rarely) related to that, as we all know.

A bit of advice here to the OP: Should you eventually try it, don't apply the patch in one step (be it paper, be it a strip of wrapper). Much easier and of better outcome if you only glue the patch to one side of the crack first. Let dry over night and then stretch over and glue onto the other side. Cut the strip larger than needed and trim free ends after curing. As I mentioned before, will probably only need to be done at the head so that you can technically smoke it, in which case there isn't even any paper and glue that will be burnt while smoking.

1 hour ago, 99call said:

The gummy bits surely can't be totally neutral? I don't know? is it just tacky veg glue?

Being negligible compared to the amount of tobacco burned per draw. And burning rather neutrally in taste / smell. If at all, the paper would contribute more to it than the veg glue.

Between the arguments on value vs toss it blah blah.  Maybe just fix it, because you might learn something, and it will be satisfying and fun?

There is always the holy grail concept out there, where that may be the best cigar you'll every own. Very Very unlikely, but if it's the bin, you'll never know. 

Review it once fixed!!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Cost me less than 5 min. About two min on day one, two more the next day... (well, it demands a skilled hand of course.... haha). You may do it while smoking another Petit 2, so not any more time wasted as yet already.... :lol3:

On a serious note though - Yes, of course flawed argumentation. You didn't get my point TopD - it's not about your or my value scale - perhaps you'd toss it, perhaps I'd do it, too - it's about the OP's. Were he not caring about it and were it not worth him asking he had surely tossed it in the first place. Five - or may it be even 10 min invested could potentially salvage him a 50-min smoke, so what....? The more fundamental question whether a MP2 is truly worth it (i.e. = being worthwhile smoking) is purely in the eye of the beholder. But it certainly is not dependent on the price of said stick, whether 5 or 100 bucks - the enjoyment is not (rarely) related to that, as we all know.

A bit of advice here to the OP: Should you eventually try it, don't apply the patch in one step (be it paper, be it a strip of wrapper). Much easier and of better outcome if you only glue the patch to one side of the crack first. Let dry over night and then stretch over and glue onto the other side. Cut the strip larger than needed and trim free ends after curing. As I mentioned before, will probably only need to be done at the head so that you can technically smoke it, in which case there isn't even any paper and glue that will be burnt while smoking.

I agree that it's really for the OP to decide for repair or toss.  However, I just don't think the "pot odds" are in favor of the repair option.  I'd definitely toss it, but that's me.

I would not fix it but another brother might get incredible satisfaction from the task. More power to them.

Still another might love the tobacco in their pipe. Luxurious!

Enjoy the thing.

CB

I appreciate the feedback, I'm so new to smoking CC cigars...I've only smoked 2 of them to date. I have been buying them every week to build up my stock and start the aging process. So I think I will take the posters advice and try to repair...if it doesn't smoke well, tossing it won't hurt my feelings.

I will post a review when I get to it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

You didn't get my point TopD 

I get your point, I simply disagree with it. 

OP can smoke it, repair it, toss it or give it to someone else.  Once someone asks for input, I can only offer whether it is worth it to me or not.  It would be silly for my response to be what Fugu would recommend, I will leave that to you. I viable answer to the question of the best method of salvaging a cigar is that the cigar is not worth salvaging and can be discarded.  There are many other options, but that is mine.  The time spent isn't as much the repair job as the time spent smoking an exploding cigar. Is it a guaranteed exploding cigar, no.   Have I tried repairing and smoking cigars, yes.  Was it worth it to me, No.

If you take the cut cap off of a parejo (straight) cigar, there is a surprising amount of wrapper tobacco there. Wet it out thoroughly, let it sit and you can peel off the round cap to reveal the flag. It is usually about 2.5" long and at least an inch across. A couple of those could easily be used to repair those cracks.

• Like 1

I have a corn cob pipe dedicated to unrepairable cigars. Its not the same experience as smoking a cigar, of course, but the cob adds a bit of sweetness to the smoke that I like. I prefer cutting the cigar into coins and then cutting these up and stuffing into the pipe.

• Like 2

I think Goo is on the right track here with the differentiation between wrapper and binder. If the binder is breached the cigar is trash. I would clip it an light it. If the binder holds smoke the damn thing if enjoyable. If not, toss it.

If nothing more than an experiment I would try smoking it. I doubt I would try fixing it, but getting back the some of the cross talk on values, that is just mine. It really all depends on the integrity of the binder. If the binder has failed, an attempt at securing the wrapper will fail as well.

Cheers! -R

• Like 1

Was just about to say that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk