Whatcha reading?

Hello all,

As far as I can tell, I haven't seen anything on people's reading habits here recently.

I am 3/4 thru a careful re-reading of Havana: A Subtropical Delirium by Mark Kurlansky.

Prepping for a last min pilgrimage to Havana.

(Also enjoying a PLPC)

Listening to Souad Massi and particularly enjoying the song, "Ghir Enta."576c61ac157ed9d78b4e56837b659abb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's a fairly recent book thread, but since I'm on to another book already it's on to another book thread!   Aldous Huxley is the name of the game this week. As posted already in Daily

Re-reading "The Cat From Hue" by John Laurence. A stunnign 844 page overview of the Vietnam War through the eyes of a journalist from 1965 to 1970.  

Just finished Airframe by Michael Crichton and now reading Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just finished Airframe by Michael Crichton and now reading

ab84ec44ac6060572366dd87c78ae961.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm listening to American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road.

It is incredibly good - tells the whole backstory about how he created the website to peddle drugs and guns, the forums people use to find the website, etc.  The found of the website is very anti-government, and felt he was freeing the people by letting them purchase what they want online.  Sound somewhat familiar (if toned down 90%)?

• Like 2

Old man and the sea, yeah I know...a little late, ha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You know, I haven't ever read it either. The only thing I have read by Hemingway was A Movable Feast.

And that was only really for the mention of Sylvia Beach/Shakespeare and Co.

• Like 1

I'm listening to American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road.

It is incredibly good - tells the whole backstory about how he created the website to peddle drugs and guns, the forums people use to find the website, etc.  The found of the website is very anti-government, and felt he was freeing the people by letting them purchase what they want online.  Sound somewhat familiar (if toned down 90%)?

Ha! Yeah.

Sounds very interesting: I had read an in depth article about the capture in NYT, if memory serves. I think they grabbed him in a library?

2 hours ago, irratebass said:

I just started reading this on Monday

• Like 3

Love these threads. I am part of a guys only book club, so any recommendations I can pitch at our monthly get togethers. 

At present...

Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia - is really good - half way through

Just finished these:-

The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov - is difficult at times, but amazing in it's prophecies

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - awesome 

The Lost Art by Simon Morden - sci-fi meets fantasy, pretty cool

• Like 4

Right now, I'm crushing caselaw regarding self defense law and multiple assailants, and past bad acts evidence against the alleged victim.  Totally enthralling, I know, but given that for pleasure, I read Slavoj Zizek and Hegel, I supposed it's not that bad.  I also recently plowed through some of my old Kurt Vonnegut books, which are always a lark.  Welcome to the Monkey House is a recent favorite, it's a book of his short stories. 

• Like 2

always interesting threads.

had not realised kurlansky had written about havana. i'm all over that.

but there is a very big thread on this very topic elsewhere. you'll find a squillion recommendations and if someone knows how, probably best to combine them.

• Like 1

That other thread was Prez asking for book recommendations, but it's very buried, I agree both should be combined, and then they should be made into a sticky under general discussions or something

• Like 1

23 hours ago, irratebass said:

21 hours ago, David88 said:

I just started reading this on Monday

I'm a Gaiman fan, both of his graphic novels and his prose.  American Gods is my favourite Gaiman novel, along with Neverwhere.  I don't know which version you gents are reading, but there is the original first print text, and a later 10th anniversary edition that's Gaiman's "author's preferred text".  (No worries, you can always read the author's preferred text the second time round - I did!)

• Like 2

Really enjoying the Natchez Burning trilogy by Greg Iles. Very intense reading that highlights a lot of the horrors of the American Civil Rights battle of the 50s/60s but set against a story dealing with modern racial tensions in Lousiana and Mississippi. Highly recommend!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3