Whatcha reading?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's a fairly recent book thread, but since I'm on to another book already it's on to another book thread!   Aldous Huxley is the name of the game this week. As posted already in Daily

Re-reading "The Cat From Hue" by John Laurence. A stunnign 844 page overview of the Vietnam War through the eyes of a journalist from 1965 to 1970.  

Just finished Airframe by Michael Crichton and now reading Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Frank Langella's "Dropped Names."  Dude still  makes my heart do funny things!  :wub:

dropped names.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

20170806_163434.thumb.jpg.ca7a77c849dea213127251af9249bdf3.jpg

shackleton fascinates me and what they achieved was extraordinary but i wonder if anything in it that explained why they were off on explorations, rather than fighting in WWI? not ever been able to get an answer for that.

• Like 2

Recently finished "The Silent Corner" by Dean Koontz (came out 5/30/17)

About a third of the way thru "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O." by Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland (advanced copy but may be out now)

I am pretty much a fiction reader :D

• Like 2

Reading "The Soul of the Octopus" pretty good anecdotal stuff on the intelligence of octopuses and thoughts on what an being an octopus may be like.

Based on my interactions with them they are incredibly intelligent, and one of my favorite animals.  

If you like octopuses, well worth a read!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Reading "The Soul of the Octopus" pretty good anecdotal stuff on the intelligence of octopuses and thoughts on what an being an octopus may be like.

Based on my interactions with them they are incredibly intelligent, and one of my favorite animals.  

If you like octopuses, well worth a read!

I finished that recently, and found it excellent.  Made me want to try this one too

9780374227760.thumb.jpg.45af9e210efc4f9e3317d32c34c97641.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fatshotbud said:

Recently finished "The Silent Corner" by Dean Koontz (came out 5/30/17)

About a third of the way thru "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O." by Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland (advanced copy but may be out now)

I am pretty much a fiction reader :D

Geez! There's a user name I have not seen in a long time! Where the hell have you been?!?!

have started two books, which i go into more detail in a forthcoming Kenfessional.

the first, 'Grape Olive Pig' by Matt Goulding. an exploration of Spanish food - and Spain generally. this is the guy behind Roads & Kingdoms site and has done a similar book on Japan. he writes really well, is knowledgeable and obviously loves his topic. it truly does make one want to be on that next plane to Barcelona.

the next, one i read as a young kid in the 70s. was a huge hit then and curious to see if it held up and if i'd enjoy it as much. 'Watership Down' by Richard Adams. i know some might be put off by a 600 page book on talking rabbits but i am absolutely loving it. one of those books that kids could really enjoy but is really more for adults. anyone who does a list of the great books of the 20th century and does not include this one should start again. it is that good.

• Like 3

Never Eat Alone. Great book, reframing what networking is. Generosity begets generosity. 

After I finish that, same co-author, different idea: negotiations. Never Split The Difference. 

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Eat-Alone-Secrets-Relationship/dp/0385512058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502247570&sr=8-1&keywords=never+eat+alone

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DUR7L2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IKTT1CNRLRREQ&colid=SLGDLDLW52VD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished Airframe by Michael Crichton and now reading

ab84ec44ac6060572366dd87c78ae961.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well I see this thread is still hard to find, had to dig to find it anyway

Just finished this book, and started this one

e4607d395728710efa2e5b1adcf1d802.jpg

*I'm very good looking, and great with rice.*

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doctorossi said:

luv2fly, all three of those look very interesting to me. Is there one you'd most recommend so far?

Cant say for certain as I have not finished any as of yet.  If I had to say, I would recommend The Last Gunfight as I love the story of the Gunfight at the OK Corral. So far I have read 7 books on the subject including books about the participants.   Funny thing is that it did not take place at the OK Corral.  I have read many books on this and the Titanic.  I will look back at what I have read.  I will give some suggestions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luv2fly said:

Cant say for certain as I have not finished any as of yet.  If I had to say, I would recommend The Last Gunfight as I love the story of the Gunfight at the OK Corral. So far I have read 7 books on the subject including books about the participants.   Funny thing is that it did not take place at the OK Corral.  I have read many books on this and the Titanic.  I will look back at what I have read.  I will give some suggestions.

Thank you, Mike! Much appreciated.

• Like 1