Whatcha reading?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's a fairly recent book thread, but since I'm on to another book already it's on to another book thread!   Aldous Huxley is the name of the game this week. As posted already in Daily

Re-reading "The Cat From Hue" by John Laurence. A stunnign 844 page overview of the Vietnam War through the eyes of a journalist from 1965 to 1970.  

Just finished Airframe by Michael Crichton and now reading Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

isbn9781473660557.jpg

My mother gave me the nod on this one, 'elmet or helmet is a term me and my friends fondly refer to as but it turns out the book looks a great read so I bagged it, just waiting for a chance to get started now.

Fresh and distinctive writing from an exciting new voice in fiction, Elmet is an unforgettable novel about family, as well as a beautiful meditation on landscape.

Daniel is heading north. He is looking for someone. The simplicity of his early life with Daddy and Cathy has turned sour and fearful. They lived apart in the house that Daddy built for them with his bare hands. They foraged and hunted. When they were younger, Daniel and Cathy had gone to school. But they were not like the other children then, and they were even less like them now. Sometimes Daddy disappeared, and would return with a rage in his eyes. But when he was at home he was at peace. He told them that the little copse in Elmet was theirs alone. But that wasn't true. Local men, greedy and watchful, began to circle like vultures. All the while, the terrible violence in Daddy grew.

Atmospheric and unsettling, Elmet is a lyrical commentary on contemporary society and one family's precarious place in it, as well as an exploration of how deep the bond between father and child can go.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished this book on the experiences of a Briton jailed in Cuba for a few years - businessman, 10 yr resident of Havana, then all went very wrong very fast and he didn't get out of Cuba when he could have ....

Here is an informative article on him with an excerpt from his book :

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/mar/19/life-in-a-cuban-jail-for-a-british-man

The book :

close-but-no-cigar.jpg.f91bab53dcabb764482903312c0f703c.jpg

• Like 2

Reading this one now

Went on Sunday and seen legendary punk band GBH, and picked up their book. f559cfb6d5ef243d61d0a70cdddee69f.jpg8c40c8477f0cdbc266f0c77e279feb63.jpg

*I'm very good looking, and great with rice.*

• Like 1

I just finished the biography of Jim Morrison "No One Gets Out Alive" and "Caveat Emptor" about the art forger Ken Perenyi, both great books! Now I'm starting "Sapiens A Brief History Of Humankind"

• Like 2

I just finished the biography of Jim Morrison "No One Gets Out Alive" and "Caveat Emptor" about the art forger Ken Perenyi, both great books! Now I'm starting "Sapiens A Brief History Of Humankind"

No One Here Gets Out Alive was a good read, Check out John Densmore's book as well. I've read a few Doors books, I haven't read Ray's yet though.

*I'm very good looking, and great with rice.*

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Enjoying a Warped Guardian of the Farm with this new book. There's an old picture of Doug and Louie C.K. and Louie is not the one that's about to pull his genitals out. I'm amazed at the accidental genius timing of the publication of this book. 63dfdf44b319af27998057fe701a113a.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I recently read The 20 days of Turin...

https://www.amazon.ca/Twenty-Days-Turin-Novel-ebook/dp/B01HDSU0QU&ved=2ahUKEwi72IWFoYzeAhXIT98KHTC0AakQFjALegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2B3SyuFxj_FtaqGuGK4324&cshid=1539737473353

Let me tell you it's a trip! Paranoid and hallucinatory supernatural horror.

Like if Vonnegut wrote Lovecraft stories.

It's definitely a love it or hate it deal though.

Guest Nekhyludov

My last few months of reading. Not sure what to get into next. I may circle back to some new Tolstoy translations ...

722209402_Screenshot(29).thumb.png.a1b08dda9ef3fb9e9a85d56e3503d800.png

1879362347_Screenshot(30).png.ffbf9a0c51cd02ec303a25dd5bcf7b2b.png

1959876965_Screenshot(31).png.b8a2e89caa18651200457f9ab9736645.png