Whatcha reading?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there's a fairly recent book thread, but since I'm on to another book already it's on to another book thread!   Aldous Huxley is the name of the game this week. As posted already in Daily

Re-reading "The Cat From Hue" by John Laurence. A stunnign 844 page overview of the Vietnam War through the eyes of a journalist from 1965 to 1970.  

Just finished Airframe by Michael Crichton and now reading Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I often read investing books, but lately I've switched my mind to something less cerebral. 

About 2 months ago a friend gave me his copy of "The Silk Roads. A new history of the world" by Peter Frankopan. Great book, it was a very good learning read. It provides some interesting perspectives on the various international trade and business relationships, and how those relationships have played out in history, and how they are shaping international politics today. 

617KaQOnp0L._AC_US436_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

As soon as I finished that one I picked up "Deception Point" by Dan Brown to read on a brief 4-day visit to my inlaws. It's not quite as good as Da Vinci Code, or Angels & Demons, but it was entertaining and a good time passer on the airplane.

5184g3dqz6L._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Next I started up "The Book of Joy" by Desmond Tutu, Dalai Lama and Douglas Abrams. This is a long book, educational but somewhat humorous at times. I haven't finished it, I'm about 2/3 through it, but I've been on and off with it. It's a book I want to finish, but it takes some concentration to weigh the wisdom these two great men have bestowed on the reader.

51lA4V6cBGL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I bought "The Atlantis Code" by Charles Brokaw to take on our cruise. I read about 1/2 of it on the cruise, but I've been distracted since we got back and I've still got about 1/3 to go. I will finish this soon I think. It's a bit like a Dan Brown, Da Vinci style novel, with a Robert Langdon sort of main character. It's not bad, but its not quite living up to the reviews I read about it. 

51wGR2a1UxL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

"Dangerman or Prisoner?" by Roger Langley about actor Patrick McGoohan. Those of you too young to be familiar with those 1960's TV shows, he was in "Scanners" as Dr. Paul Ruth, and Mel Gibson's "Braveheart" as mean King Longshanks - throwing people out of windows and so on! :covermouth:(trying not to laugh!)

Been working through an eye issue that has kept me from reading most of the year.
These last couple months I figured some exercise was due
Some old & some new fiction:
"Revelation Space"
"The Lost World"
"Under the Dome"
"The Force"
"The Hour of Lead"
"Starship Troopers"
"Stranger in a Strange Land"
"A Graveyard for Lunatics"

Current reads:
"El Paso"
"End of Watch"
I usually read two books switching off - OCD Maybe?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Dreadnought: King of Afropunk. Autobiography by D. H. Peligro, drummer in Dead Kennedys and Chilli Peppers. The depths of a drug dependent life and the highs of recovery and music in gory detail. You can smell the pus oozing from the abscesses at times...and hear the roar of the crowd at others. On the same page occasionally.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie