Aging potential for cheap and cheerfuls

Stump89

Just curious if some of the cheaper sticks out there are worth any kind of long term aging. Anything like Vegueros, PLPs, Fonseca, Quintero, etc.  I'd like to grab a few boxes of cheapies to put away for a while.

JLP Cazadores lose their roughness after about 3 years and can be quite creamy. I picked up a great '08 box from Barcelona last year that I hammered my way through. Got a '15 box this year that need a little longer to improve. The great thing about some of the cheaper cigars is that they can sit in shop humidors below the radar for years.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• 3 weeks later...

Only experience with Fonseca is the no 1, which definitely benefits from a few years. I have not yet scored a '15 or later box, so cannot comment on those, but I am to understand the blend was changed a little.

I'm not sure I'd put any Fonseca in the cheap & cheerful category. The Delicias are borderline at best and the KDT Cadetes are pretty small for the money.

I think the best quality cheap and cheerfuls are probably PLP and RGPE and both should age very well, particularly the PLP.

I honestly think the aging potential for cigars like Quintero, new Vegueros and JLP are very limited. Age may smooth those brands out a bit but they're unlikely to get more complex and "develop" like the PLP and RGPE will. Just lower quality tobacco in those marcas.

You could make a another borderline case for cigars like the HU Majestics, RyJ Sports Largos and LFDC PC as being cheap & cheerfuls, and I would also throw them into the category of cigars using high quality tobacco that should age well with maybe the exception being the LFDC PC which uses short filler and is a very light blend from what I hear and might not be quite on par with a cigar like the HU M or RyJ SL which I can confirm are very high quality.

• 1 month later...