August Trip Report

zlc410

Thanks for the report.  Your info confirms other stories I've heard about getting through security leaving Cuba.  Despite the chaos and uncertainty you managed to escape with all of your custom rolls both times.  Good job!  However, I'd appreciate any add'l info you can provide.  If I ever get to Cuba I plan to purchase several bundles of custom rolls and would hate to have them confiscated at the airport.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the luck of the draw (in terms of who you deal with).  There seem to be no standard rules that are followed.  One security person may be strict, another may be very lenient.  If you run into someone who chooses to hassle you can you generally offer them a "donation" to let you through?  If you speak little to no Spanish are are treated less fairly?  Thanks!      

I was told by a guy who travels monthly to Cuba that offering a "donation" works many times.  However, he is obviously a known guy as he travels there a lot.  He also speaks spanish.  I was fully prepared to pay if I could do it without getting into trouble.  I have no doubt it works, but without spanish I wouldnt know how to communicate that without being obvious.  In any case, both times I have gone I dealt with someone that had no interest in my cigars.  Also, the first trip I had packed about twelve boxes of sticks in my checked luggage.  I couldn't decide if that was wise but didn't have a choice.  Both trips everything I had packed made it through.  I was told things tended to disappear a little more often there in checked luggage.  I was also advised by the same guy above that you should take some shoeboxes or boxes that are from costco and tape them up when packing them in checked luggage.  He told me they have never opened one of those on the trips they pulled his checked luggage.  I am sure others on here can tell you a little more about being pulled into the private room to search your checked luggage.

Awesome report! Which terminal do you leave out of? I had heard terminal 3 was a nightmare and that the customs agents there like to confiscate custom cigars. The west coast flights fly though terminal 2 and it's pretty chill there. As I was leaving on my last trip, customs room wasn't even open. The didn't search any luggage for any flight out of terminal 2 that day.

It was terminal 2 both times for me.  As I said, both trips were completely different.  First trip I got in trouble for carrying CUC through security.  Second trip I was told to go exchange USD to CUC INSIDE the departure lounge money exchange as the Duty Free cigar desk would only accept CUC.  I thought that was weird and it cost me a chance to grab a box of Monte Dantes.

Not at all! I'm glad you had a great trip and snagged great cigars. Next time get Maique to sign your Behike ashtray. or ask Robaina to sign a box of cigars at 5th avenue. It'd be great for story for your cigar buddies.