Public speaking advice

1 hour ago, Stogieninja said:

Just imagine that you're up there naked.

Wait no, imagine they're all naked.

Actually, that would prove too distracting also. I have no good advice.

Everyone is naked under their clothes...

Mate take your time... breath , and try to speak as if you are having a conversation with someone ...you know what it is about.... so you have nothing to prove . You will be just fine...

It might seem obvious, but make sure you practice in front of someone or a group of people - don't just rehearse it in your head. Standing up in front of someone to practice might feel awkward, but it goes a long way. In terms of content, try to open with a short personal story.  

Also - time yourself when you practice. 

• Like 1

I've given a fair number of speeches in front of groups, many times to people with a pretty good knowledge on the subject, though nothing on the scale of your audience. One thing I realized early on and have seen in a fair number of others, is not the fear of speaking, but the fear of being in front of and watched by large numbers.

One thing I found that does help, when appropriate, is not to stand in front of the audience. Stand to the side, behind or even among them. Focus their attention on the briefing media...the big screen in your case. Perhaps a 4-5 minute trailer with pictures of your favorite moments while filming, shots that didn't make the film, or examples the film itself will expound upon. IMHO people tend to be far more visual creatures and appreciate pictures more than words, give them what they want.

When the film is complete and your audience is on their feet.   Take a humble bow and enjoy the applause. 

Cheers 

• Like 2

Remember,

• they all want you to succeed. 
  • You know your material backwards
  • don't drink too much
  • remember that guy who was publicly vilified for a bad 5 minute public speaking gig?......neither do I. 
  • It is fun. Have fun. I like to start with a relevant funny story and flow on from there. 
  • Four minutes public speaking is like 60 seconds in the real world. 
  • Give thanks/acknowledge  those who have assisted. No need to publicly thank God or your mother.  God knows and your mother is unlikely to find out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...