Video Review - Rafael Gonzalez 88

Ferrero

The last RG RE (first ever) was the German PP and that took 4 years to sell out at 10 euro/stick. I think the 88 will be around for quite a while...

• Like 1

Anyone with extensive AP regional experience care to rank the offerings life to date? I've had a few from the past, but like some of the commenters above I have passed on the RG thus far due to price. Curious if anyone has gone through the whole lineup. 

14 hours ago, PatrickEwing said:

Anyone with extensive AP regional experience care to rank the offerings life to date? I've had a few from the past, but like some of the commenters above I have passed on the RG thus far due to price. Curious if anyone has gone through the whole lineup. 

I don't have an objective listing for you, but my subjective impression of the AP Regionals is uniformly positive; I've never had a bad one.  I'm born with the same skepticism of many here about the whole marketing angle, but I've been happy with every box of any Asia Pacific Regionals that I've bought (most from Rob, others from Hong Kong and Duty Free).

I'd like to focus my collecting a bit more, but the Regionals and Rob and Ken's reviews keep putting all sorts of cigars onto my 'buy' list, and it's great fun experiencing these and sharing them with friends.  For example; most of my pals are typical biggish ring gauge smokers, but when I rolled up with a cab of Encantos, that skinny thing blew a lot of minds.

All I need now, is more storage time, more patience, and more credit cards . . . :lookaround:

And Rob really didn't sound like he should be smoking anything for another week or two! :P 

• Like 2

Nice review! The performance of the dry boxed cigar were interesting, it does seem that cigars are perform well 'fresh' now as long as they have acclimatised. 

They may be pricey, but at least they are an unusual release. I'm tired of seeing petit robustos and fat monoliths being released as REs so I picked up a box to put away. 

On 19/08/2017 at 5:00 PM, dimi68 said:

So much for dry boxing another furphy like plume?

another thing with Dry-boxing fresh cigars that comes to mind,

doesn't that just go against the grain of allowing boxes to acclimatize?

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, PatrickEwing said:

I believe the Asia Pacifico releases are blended for the long-term. In the last ten years they all share a similar story, i.e. not yet peak-palatable 'right off the truck', so to speak, but years later they are much sought after and lamented. For example, the Por Larranaga Belicosos Extra, Robustos and of course the much-acclaimed Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos. In regards to the '09 Celestiales Finos, I distinctly remember 'gnashing of teeth' when some boxes were put up in 2015 on a 24:24 sale and members missed out. The only recent example to buck this trend that I remember, personally, is the '14 Diplomaticos Bushidos, which was great from the get go, and kudos to anyone that can source this now.

I have every confidence that if you are a fan of the Rafael Gonzalez marca, then this release won't let you down in the long-term.