Washington DC: The Ultimate One Day Tour of My Town

On 8/23/2017 at 12:06 PM, El Presidente said:

:clap:Loved it and many thanks!

Ken worked in DC He would have loved to have read it. Shame he is suspended but you can be sure I will let him know how good your post was :D

and you didn't!! so, glad it reappeared.

loved my time there. recognise some things but much changed (not least, back then they were expected to win football games and superbowls).

i remember visiting a friend who was an intern in the white house one friday evening for drinks post work (not that intern). had various forms of identification which the guards at the entrance rejected. so tried a fake press card i had from backpacking in thailand. yes, sir, go on through. even more amazing, they just gave me directions to her office and let me head up through the white house to find it, with hardly a soul around. so at one stage, and i swear i am not making this up, i am standing at the door to the oval office looking in. there was a small rope across but i could have stepped over and in, if i wished. i did not (found out later that "they prefer it if you do not go in, unaccompanied". seriously?). i do have a pic of me from later that evening, in the press room with the blue curtains and podium, doing the 'i am not a crook' speech. a very different time.

glad the einstein statue was mentioned. very low key but my fave "monument" in the city. would go and sit next to it and read at times. always stunned how few locals even knew it existed.

one of the best things i did was going to the vietnam wall, pre-dawn, your your vet's day. incredibly moving. and i have a great pic (somewhere) as the sun came up and turned the wall into a reflecting wall/mirror and so i have matching twin washington monuments.

one of the truly great cities.

Thanks for asking. It went pretty good. Spent a couple days seeing the usual sights. Got to see the presidential motor Cade.

We thought the war memorials were really cool especially the Korean War Memorial.

In the evening we hung out mostly around the National Harbor. Spent my Birthday night at a cigar lounge in old town.

All in all I'm glad I got the opportunity to see it but museums aren't really my thing so I don't think I need to go back.

1 hour ago, madandana said:

Thanks for asking. It went pretty good. Spent a couple days seeing the usual sights. Got to see the presidential motor Cade.

We thought the war memorials were really cool especially the Korean War Memorial.

In the evening we hung out mostly around the National Harbor. Spent my Birthday night at a cigar lounge in old town.

All in all I'm glad I got the opportunity to see it but museums aren't really my thing so I don't think I need to go back.

got to see the bush senior motorcade for the inauguration. he hopped out just near us. also bob hope, chuck yeager and heaps of others.

good fun as he was elected a day or two after i arrived in the states and i got to go to some of the official election parties (long story but they really didn't check anything more than that i was aussie so able to go with some official aussie invits). the republican ones were way more fun, surprise! but at the democratic one, got to talk to a fighter pilot who flew the top gun planes. that was a bit cool.

As a local MC resident, this is a great review of things to do in DC. I would suggest Little Serow for Thai food and then a visit to Civil Cigars for drinks and cigars. There are so many museums and other attractions like the National Zoo that are free for visitors that can keep you busy for days.