So cool at the time.....You had to have one.

The 70's and 80's were great times to grow up in :party:

I am sure every era has its pro's and cons. 

Thinking back to your teenage and early 20's years......what was it that you wanted to purchase...your "must haves"....'"must do's" ... that certainly had its high water mark in that era :D

Mine?

I just had to get one of these.  Where have they all gone!?

Waterbed.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always wanted a Redline BMX (I got a Kuwahara)      

Oh I remember when every kid (me included) wanted a "Rambo"-knife.

Ah, the fascinations of youth. My dad made me wait till I was 16 to get one, which really sucked since my uncle invented it and all my cousins had one.   

My brother and I shared a room when we were kids. We had bunk beds until I came home one day and found a queen size waterbed in their place. He had money from delivering newspapers. I learned quickly that:

1. My brother was a sheet hog.
2. Getting stuck in the gap between the frame and mattress sucks.
3. A waterbed without heat in the winter gives you frequent dreams of the Shackleton Expedition.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aw geez, there are a lot of things I could list. One of the biggest must haves for me as a teen.... a Sony Discman! Managed to convince my parents to get me one (bro also got one) on a trip to Honkers in the early 90's.

Sony Discman D250

D-250-sonyvintage.com-2.jpg.81cc1a60badf48f0d74911a1b21e6d6a.jpg

I still have it somewhere at home. Hell, I still have my Walkman too.

• Like 3

For me, it was a Sony Minidisc

Minidisc.jpg.d9504337dc219029c2f5e725dde795d2.jpg

I saw it as the future of portable music in a world where the first decent MP3 player was still a couple of years away. For those who missed the bus on it, it was a portable music player that stored music removable hard discs (Imagine a small floppy disc) 

59a4bb715fe29_minidiscdisc.jpg.731897b09a0b1a05810e2395ccbafe54.jpg

It had some appeal in the CD world, they were smaller, could hold more music, also stored data so you could label tracks and you could record sound directly onto a blank disc.
The downside was both the player and blank discs were expensive and you couldn't buy albums pre recorded onto mini discs in Aus so you had to take blank discs and record your music onto them yourself. Early versions of the product recorded at a 1-1 ratio so you had to connect it to the headphone jack of a CD player and record the album in its entirety and then split the tracks up manually in real time. It was a cumbersome process. They refined the system in future models and they morphed into an MP3 play type device that had removable storage

In a world where all my friends were carrying huge CD wallets in their back packs, and a Discman couldn't fit in your pocket, they were the hot gadget to have, in my eyes. But then 2 years later Apple dropped the first iPod and that was more or less the end of the Minidisc in mainstream culture

• Like 3

Late 70's just getting disccharged from Us Air Force.  Just wanted to kick back and enjoy life.  In Hawaii

life was pretty good even in the US Air Force.  Back then a case of Heiken at the base PX was $19.95

outstanding..  What I really wanted back then was a high end music system.

Bought a Kenwood Amp (200) watts I think, Phillips turntable and JBL (solid wood) monster speakers.

Cheap as all get out.  Most of the electronics came directly from Japan to our on base PX

which was dirt cheap.  Loved my little system.  Even our commanding officer who came

to visit me about discharging me like the stero system.  My claim to fame!

• Like 1

I’d go back to the portable 8-track tape player I had at Boy Scout camp, rockin’ to Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion”, but that might be a bit too much. I absolutely remember the micro-sized revolution of musical freedom the Sony Walkman brought me a few years later. I could fit a whole cassette tape’s worth of music in the palm of my hand. Yeah baby!

Sony_Walkman02.thumb.jpg.872cdfdc9db7a242b121db3463445933.jpg

• Like 4

When I was a kid, it was Panini Football stickers. Every penny of pocket money was spent trying to get that elusive club badge. And if you had a double of the Liverpool badge, you were the coolest, most popular kid in the playground.

IMG_1094.JPG.dd91267ea5db81bec661ec2eeea77f67.JPGIMG_1095.JPG.af11c56d083682319fea8388b46a9eb4.JPGIMG_1093.JPG.ae3da9eba8e2ac137d3d7d5ccacf6bb3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I’d go back to the portable 8-track tape player I had at Boy Scout camp, rockin’ to Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion”, but that might be a bit too much. I absolutely remember the micro-sized revolution of musical freedom the Sony Walkman brought me a few years later. I could fit a whole cassette tape’s worth of music in the palm of my hand. Yeah baby!

Sony_Walkman02.thumb.jpg.872cdfdc9db7a242b121db3463445933.jpg

Had this too. Loved it!

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The 70's and 80's were great times to grow up in :party:

I am sure every era has its pro's and cons. 

Thinking back to your teenage and early 20's years......what was it that you wanted to purchase...your "must haves"....'"must do's" ... that certainly had its high water mark in that era :D

Mine?

I just had to get one of these.  Where have they all gone!?

Waterbed.jpg

My in-laws still sleep on one..... my father in law thinks that Woodstock is still going on thoug too. ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kalibratecuba said:

My brother and I shared a room when we were kids. We had bunk beds until I came home one day and found a queen size waterbed in their place. He had money from delivering newspapers. I learned quickly that:

1. My brother was a sheet hog.
2. Getting stuck in the gap between the frame and mattress sucks.
3. A waterbed without heat in the winter gives you frequent dreams of the Shackleton Expedition.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My parents surprised my brother and I with a Queen sized waterbed also.  We were high school age. 

"Stop hogging the bed.  Stop taking the sheets. Stop making waves, I'm trying to sleep."  After 3 months of midnight fistfights,

my parents decided to build an extra bedroom down in the basement.  I gladly gave up the waterbed!!

• Like 2