So cool at the time.....You had to have one.

On 8/30/2017 at 2:21 PM, Fuzz said:

I got a 1986 Mongoose from my parents for Xmas. Still have it in the garage, hanging on the wall.

....you know you can lower the seat ;)

• Haha 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always wanted a Redline BMX (I got a Kuwahara)      

Oh I remember when every kid (me included) wanted a "Rambo"-knife.

Ah, the fascinations of youth. My dad made me wait till I was 16 to get one, which really sucked since my uncle invented it and all my cousins had one.   

Oh shoot!  All that stuff is actually USEFUL!  Me, I wanted (and got :blush:) that ultimate 70's fashion statement . . . the corduroy (polyester corduroy no less) Leisure Suit. ;)

Leisure Suit.jpg

• Like 1

I never really cared too much about how cool it was... 

I remember want I wanted a leather bomber jacket pretty bad, one with a fur collar! Funny... I looked them up for pictures and got pics of some eunuch wearing some skinny shiny shit jacket with a mohawk... NOT.

... what did I really want???

When I was a kid I built RC models. These were the days that you actually had to build one and it did not come pre-built. I was pretty good at it.

My dad was a pilot (not professionally) and he wanted the whole family to learn to fly. I therefore have my pilots license. Flying was never joy to me unit I started to fly a Citabria. Aerobatics was something I really enjoyed. I started flying when I was 14.

I wanted to build my own airplane and this is the one I wanted.

14824316054_c25cffee6e_b.thumb.jpg.eefa2e188122a03ff876076a5c5aa2f5.jpg

This is a Christen Eagle. The guy who made these was the designer of the Pitts Special, another fully arobatic plane designed for airshow exhibitions. The Pitts has some characteristics that made it challenging to fly. When Christensen designed the Eagle, he took all the bad characteristics out of it and made a kit out of it.

... why do I make kit humidors??? -LOL

I still want one of these today, while I would likely kill myself flying it. Damn beautiful airplane!

Who wants a 3D printer when you can make your own 3D rollercoaster from the sky? Yes, a lot of 'kid' still lives in me.

I would immerse myself in and build one today if I had the resources to do it and they were still made... I am hoping that someday still I will build my own aircraft. There a so many very cool homebuilts to be found today, but this is the one that got away.

-Piggy

• Like 2

@PigFish I had the same bug.  My Dad and I built a Great Planes PT 40 together.  Waiting to buy a house so I can set up a hobby room to start my next build.  I have a Top Flite FW-190D kit I want to build with scale detail.  For now it just sits in a box collecting dust.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 0:52 AM, OB1 said:

This for me:

8066306e7b7430d32c0e97a8d36d0e36.jpg

Never did get one... but I did get this:

fcb031ffb3af2cecf9883b23422d1a95.jpg

Same with me, though a buddy did have Intellivision...I'd say that was about 1982. At that time I had an Odyssey system.  Got the Commodore 64 a couple years later!

In high school I wanted an Iroc-Z. Never did get one, had to settle for an '84 metallic brown Chevette!!

1 hour ago, Sigaar said:

Same with me, though a buddy did have Intellivision...I'd say that was about 1982.

I got an Intellivision from my grandma for my Bar Mitzvah!  That was a good gaming console I got a lot of use from.

9 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

@PigFish I had the same bug.  My Dad and I built a Great Planes PT 40 together.  Waiting to buy a house so I can set up a hobby room to start my next build.  I have a Top Flite FW-190D kit I want to build with scale detail.  For now it just sits in a box collecting dust.  

... this stuff is so sophisticated now it is not even funny!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

... this stuff is so sophisticated now it is not even funny!

Agreed.  My skills (construction and piloting) are not up to the task of a ducted fan aircraft.  I will likely build my prop driven FW-190D and once it has been gloriously destroyed likely on its maiden may attempt a Messerschmitt BF-109.  I will not be attempting any jet aircraft! 

• Like 1

Agreed.  My skills (construction and piloting) are not up to the task of a ducted fan aircraft.  I will likely build my prop driven FW-190D and once it has been gloriously destroyed likely on its maiden may attempt a Messerschmitt BF-109.  I will not be attempting any jet aircraft! 

I was big time into RC flying until a couple of years ago. Lots of fun and a great hobby.

I used to spend good money on the hobby and tell my wife: "at least it's a healthy hobby... not drugs or alcohol or smoking".... now I've switched to cigars. LOL
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SignalJoe said:

... you said ducted fan and then jet. These are real jet engines not ducted fans. Some of these things are so cool that I just want to own one, to own one.

My neighbor, 2 houses down holds a number of U-control (you know the ones that fly in circles with wires!) world records including the high speed jet one!!! 

Was into U-control as a kid and kicked it for my first 2 channel RC, .049 powered glider called a Mod-Pod. I was 10 when I built my first one. Can you say OVER CONTROL...? -LOL

morris_modpod_1.thumb.jpg.84a9fcf0a6cea872a2eeca46d287ac73.jpg

I found this pic on the web, built from a 30 year old kit in '08.

My first one did not look that good!!!

-Piggy

16 hours ago, PigFish said:

... you said ducted fan and then jet. These are real jet engines not ducted fans. Some of these things are so cool that I just want to own one, to own one.

My neighbor, 2 houses down holds a number of U-control (you know the ones that fly in circles with wires!) world records including the high speed jet one!!! 

Was into U-control as a kid and kicked it for my first 2 channel RC, .049 powered glider called a Mod-Pod. I was 10 when I built my first one. Can you say OVER CONTROL...? -LOL

-Piggy

I started out with a U control .049 P-51 Mustang.  I should have said nether ducted fan nor jet.  I have peeked in on and kept abreast of the RC propulsion and technology over the years.  This has only reminded me how meager my skills are and why I should stick to smaller scale propeller warbirds.  My hat is off to those that do, but the bulk of my disposable income goes to my buddy Rob in OZ.   

19 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

I started out with a U control .049 P-51 Mustang.  I should have said nether ducted fan nor jet.  I have peeked in on and kept abreast of the RC propulsion and technology over the years.  This has only reminded me how meager my skills are and why I should stick to smaller scale propeller warbirds.  My hat is off to those that do, but the bulk of my disposable income goes to my buddy Rob in OZ.   

I had one of those. A Testors P51. The Testors motors were junk and preferred the Cox. You could hop up your model with an 051... -LOL

... cigars, boats, horses, airplanes and the opposite sex alway get in the way of a good hobby!!! -LOL

-Piggy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retrofail said:

BB3337C7-5D27-412D-AFE3-87EE3B8551BF-14088-00000F13FF537AF0.jpeg.dbef5944d367354ea8b56884ee30c68a.jpeg

The beginning of my first real hobby in the early 90s. Built it and immediately realized all the internals were junk and needed upgrading. By the time I finished upgrades, the only original part left was the frame. 

Geez! I wanted that one or the Hornet. I remember I couldn't find them here in Sydney, so had to settle for the Taiyo 4WD Bullet.

img10980_20062012113904_2_1100_.thumb.jpg.2f3e198ece8f805a1d367b953f86e8e4.jpg

• Like 2