Taking Cuban Currency (CUCs) out of Cuba

Ryan

I Just came across this article.

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/im-an-expert-traveler-but-i-accidentally-broke-this-one-rule-and-almost-went-to-jail-dont-let

Basically, tourist leaving Cuba with 800 CUCs ($800) is detained and all the money taken off her before she can board.

The CUC is a closed currency, it cannot exchanged anywhere in the world other than Cuba (and maybe unofficially in parts of Miami)

and there is a law in Cuba that travelers cannot leave with any Cucs, but has this ever happened to anyone?

I've been in an out about 12 times and never had my wallet searched, I usually leave with about 100 CUCs (for the airport, or for the next trip's taxi from the airport, bottle of rum etc.)

I know people who regularly leave with 300-500 Cucs because they don't like waiting at the airport exchange office (I've had to wait up 45 mins) thus have their first night's expenses with them.

But is searching wallets becoming "a thing", I mean more common?

Is it possible that this is a new form of income for airport security staff?

I'm not particularly worried as I don't take out that much but this might be worth consideration, especially for travelers to the US.

• Like 1

From her description it sounds like Cuban customs enforces this with similar voracity to just about everything else. Most people sneak through just fine, but the ones who get popped get hassled for everyone. 

I arrived at Marti last year with about $350 CUC and maybe $50 in CUP to give out as gifts/souvenirs to friends. I spent most of the CUC on a few more cigars before going through security, then took the remaining $150 or so through to the "secure" side where I bought some more rum, food and gifts. I will make sure to keep this in mind in November, missing a flight back would be bad news. 

The below article was actually posted on Granma.cu last week. Apparently there had been some false information coming out regarding changes to Cuban customs. It turns out that was not the case and they have stated that they have no intention to make any changes. I know that in the U.S. Law enforcement agencies often rotate between "priority areas" focusing on certain things, then moving on to others. There simply aren't enough resources to squash everything at once, maybe she was caught at the wrong time, by the wrong person. 

Either way, its something to keep in mind as you leave.

Because the CUC could disappear at any time I only typically leave with 40-50 CUC to get me from the airport to the hotel without dealing with lines at the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I did not have an issue what so ever about having Cuban currency. It wasn't much but still no issue, but on the other hand I'm not sure why anyone would want to leave Cuba with much on hand as its worthless anywhere other than Cuba? I actually took euros and USD cash to Cuba and I received a much better return cashing in and taking the penalty for using USD to exchange as it was .873 to .786 exchanging USD for euro then exchanging euro for Cuban. IMO better to just wait. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

The rule states that you can leave Cuba with 200 CUP and 200 CUC. There are a lot of Miami frequent travelers that can sell it at a higher rate to those traveling down to Cuba at the Miami airport. Hell, they sell it on the plane on the way down. That is what they are trying to control. I try not to break the "200" rule and lately they have been riding passengers about any amount. However, I always tell them I'm going to spend it all at the Duty Free. Also you can't enter or leave Cuba with more than $5,000 US unless you declare it. If they catch you over their limit they can take it all. John

Also, the author of that article is exaggerating quite a bit on being jailed. She just had the ultimate Jedi mind trick played on her and didn't realize it. The harsh tones in their voice is all theatrics to get you to think you are in trouble. The back and forth with the passport is all theatrics as well. Tic, tic, tic your are going to miss your flight. All part of the show to get you to panic. John