Dunhill Estupendos Melbourne auction yesterday

I was wondering if anyone our FOH had a flutter of these 3 boxes of Dunhill Estupendos in a Melbourne auction yesterday? or did Alex Wong hover them up?

At $4,000 AUS per box they have a bargain. Thats pretty much less than half price.  I went to bed to save my bank balance

https://auctions.leonardjoel.com.au/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=LJ8202+++261+&refno=40481036

19 minutes ago, rckymtn22 said:

I would be nervous paying that much for an unopened box.

True, if you were going to smoke them.  But as an investment, somebody has just got themselves a tidy deal.

Also Dunhills? tubed? I think in terms of quality control, and the likely storage who owned them, I would say you've probably got 90% percent chance what in those tubes is pure gold. 

Personally though, I would never smoke a £900 cigar.  It cannot be anything other than a let down. You could have a weekend in Barcelona, trip to Andorra, and still have enough money for a sweet 10yr old box of of something nice.

We will have to check out Alex Wongs Instagram, for him to smoke one, celebrating the fact is a Tuesday!  Ha! good on him.

11 minutes ago, sarkozy said:

Also a risk that what's inside is fake

It's very good to have this mentality to some degree. but if you follow that train of thought to an excessive degree, you can argue everything is fake.

It's always the buyers prerogative to do their homework. If someone did have the arrogance to buy something they know nothing about for £3000, In a weird way it would be instant karma.

1 hour ago, sarkozy said:

The older the object the more difficult it is to be sure of its provenance. From my experience of fine wine auctions this is a minefield

I agree.  I work in the antiques/museum sector, as a conservator, and it's absolutely nuts the amount of people who, will buy, say a 17 century Chinese bronze, then will complain if they later find out it's had a tiny restoration etc,  but pre auction, they didn't ask the auctioneer a single question, or ask for a condition report, or any additional images. Many have the opinion, wrongly, that it's the auctioneers prerogative to not only list absolutely every detail about an item, but all of it's history, etc.

• Like 1