Hurricane Irma

It's looking like Irma is becoming the strongest Atlantic hurricane outside the Gulf and Caribbean ever recorded.  The track appears to square up directly with Cuba.  Does anyone know what impact hurricanes historically have on the price and quality of CC production?  Is this something that should cause any of us to horde?  Curious how things have gone in the past with the guys that have been around long enough to remember.     

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than worry about "price and quality of cc production" ... I would first be concerned about the people of Cuba !!! They have precious little to begin with .   derrek

Those things aren't mutually exclusive nor the order of priority determined by a blog post to a cigar forum.  

That is hardly "all I'm worried about."  

59 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

It's looking like Irma is becoming the strongest Atlantic hurricane outside the Gulf and Caribbean ever recorded.  The track appears to square up directly with Cuba.  Does anyone know what impact hurricanes historically have on the price and quality of CC production?  Is this something that should cause any of us to horde?  Curious how things have gone in the past with the guys that have been around long enough to remember.     

All you are worried about is the supply and price of your cigars? A bit selfish don't you think, when many peoples lives and homes may be at stake?

Looks like Jose is setting up right after Irma.  Might be a one-two punch for the islands.  If it is as devastating as it might be, then yes, I would imagine cigar prices would increase.  In addition to the awful life threatening weather, I also considered the impact to the cigar production.  This was the first good year of growing.  I cannot imagine the curing facilities weathering two back to back storms.  

I hope for the best for all the islanders in the path.  Not as easy to evacuate as the mainland.

• Like 1

After the devastation to southeast Texas and far western La. I truly fear for the lives of folks in the path of Irma. Latest report are sustained winds of 185 mph with gusts to 220! That folks will cause massive destruction to anything in it's path. I was in some of the islands recently,that are directly in the path, and a very high percentage of the structures will not survive the winds. The folks in Florida should take heed and if they are told to evacuate, they need to pack up and head north. The keys could be flattened by a storm of this magnitude.

While the Cuban tobacco crop may well be severely impacted, the loss of life is of more concern. If Cuba lost a crop, it would be terrible and have a real economic impact on the country, but thousands dead are what I'm really concerned about. We should be thinking about humans, they are irreplaceable, tobacco is not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

We split our time between Miami and NYC but consider Miami home at this point. Miami is crazy. Lines for gasoline/Costco, etc. down the street and you can't find a bottle of still water or propane tank anywhere. The Mrs has all of her family in Dominican Republic, much like Cuba in a tough spot. We are headed up to NYC/Jersey Shore tomorrow AM. Hopefully this turns out to be a nonevent. Guys are also talking about Jose hitting NYC.

2 hours ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Get out if you can Floridians, or at least stay safe! 

There is no place to go in Florida. If the projections are right it's going to roll right up the state. I live in Ft Lauderdale, so I think we are just going to have to ride it out. 

Prayers for everyone in the path of this storm.

Mom and sister live in Humacao, Puerto Rico - eastern shore. Hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

Prayers for everyone in the path of this storm.

Mom and sister live in Humacao, Puerto Rico - eastern shore. Hoping for the best.

Hoping for the best.  I have family in Guaynabo and Montehiedra.  The one positive is Puerto Rican houses are built like concrete bomb shelters.  

1 hour ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

https://www.windy.com/?waves,17.383,-65.497,5

Wowza, check the wave heights! That's in meters, BTW.

How do I read that?  For instance:  120/3.7m  

I got the 3.7m part, what does the 120 indicate?

19 hours ago, PigFish said:

I understand they are calling for evacuation of the Keys.

-Piggy

My radio said that visitors were ordered to evacuate the Keys. Kinda vague, but it's going to blow something unbelievable down there. Stay safe if your in the path.

8 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

How do I read that?  For instance:  120/3.7m  

I got the 3.7m part, what does the 120 indicate?

I think that denotes the length of the wave in meters.

Correction: Looking at the map, it seems to be direction based on 360 degrees.

• Like 1