Connie 1 vs Connie A

For all you Connie connoisseurs out there, is the A worth the premium over the 1? Are they similar or totally different experiences?  I realize the size difference will impact the flavor profile, but it's not a PC vs a Churchill here. 

I ask as my only Upman experience is the HUPC, which I love. So I was curious if one had a more Upmanesque profile over the other or if they're similar or totally different. 

And I apologize if this has been beat to death somewhere before. If so, flame on. 

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then, logically speaking, you'd have to call the H.Upmann Sir Winston a "Royale with cheese!"

The Connie A is a double cheeseburger to me , the Connie 1 a nice piece of Camembert on a fresh baguette Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Well Thursday is the new Friday especially since the weather still permits a comfortable outdoor smoke.For once tonight it didn't take me long to decide what to smoke when I thought about this thread.

For all you Connie connoisseurs out there, is the A worth the premium over the 1? Are they similar or totally different experiences?  I realize the size difference will impact the flavor profile, but it's not a PC vs a Churchill here. 
I ask as my only Upman experience is the HUPC, which I love. So I was curious if one had a more Upmanesque profile over the other or if they're similar or totally different. 
And I apologize if this has been beat to death somewhere before. If so, flame on. 
I've only sampled 1 of each, thanks to a fellow member. The connie a was by far my favorite. A box is now high on my list have list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Couldn't be more different, when thinking about the Upmann profile.  Connie 1 has a lot of Upmann 'mongrel,' straightforward, honest, no nonsense. More straightforward and less nuanced than Mag46 to me.  Connie A is a much more complex blend, look at the above posted 4 pager.  Late '13/early '14 is to die for. I love both for their own reasons. Get both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Connie A is a cigar that EVERYONE....I mean EVERYONE loves when they smoke it.

I'm talking about smoking from a box of LUB OCT 14.

I'm also smoking Connie 1's from a LSM SEP 08 box and they are quite good themselves - have not been disappointed yet.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PartagasIV said:

Couldn't be more different, when thinking about the Upmann profile.  Connie 1 has a lot of Upmann 'mongrel,' straightforward, honest, no nonsense. More straightforward and less nuanced than Mag46 to me.  Connie A is a much more complex blend, look at the above posted 4 pager.  Late '13/early '14 is to die for. I love both for their own reasons. Get both.

Thanks. Looks like most agree the A is the clear winner. Not taking anything away from the 1. I guess both warrant a try. Seems it always ends up that way. :D

Might as well throw Sir Winnies in there too!!

• Like 1

What about recent Connie A? Rob had some up recently back to back weeks. Wish I jumped on them. One I missed out on but waited too long.
They were MEG 16 I believe. Has anyone had good experiences with recent 16 production? Or is this the case that Ken has pointed out that original release stuff is the best.
Interested in your thoughts. The Connie A has been on my wish list for a while now. Getting the Sig IV Monday didn't help the cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Last Connie A I had was good cigar, but not an epic one like they are promoted and priced.  Connie 1 can be strong & tannic cigar or similar to a Juan Lopez; I have had them over the years run the gamete.  Not sure where they really sit; I should buy another box!

• Like 1

Not even close IMO. Connie A and Winnie are on a different level than Connie 1 to me. I could smoke Connie As forever and likely be happy. Like Prez sez--it's at the top of most people's top 10 reg production list and I am no exception. I am a bit sad I don't have more of them right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BarryNY said:

Connie A is a cigar that EVERYONE....I mean EVERYONE loves when they smoke it.

I'm talking about smoking from a box of LUB OCT 14.

I'm also smoking Connie 1's from a LSM SEP 08 box and they are quite good themselves - have not been disappointed yet.

I too am smoking from a 2014 box of Connie A's. They are fabulous. The construction is fantastic and is a cigar that I would not hesitate to buy blind as I have not seen many bad boxes. Still though, the older Connie 1's are great too. I have 6 cabs of more recent PSP Connie 1's that I have my fingers crossed on. 

5 hours ago, retrofail said:

Thanks. Looks like most agree the A is the clear winner. Not taking anything away from the 1. I guess both warrant a try. Seems it always ends up that way. :D

Might as well throw Sir Winnies in there too!!

We have to try and keep in mind that one is a $200 box while the other is almost twice the price. 

Stick for stick, the A is to me the clearly superior cigar. It's simply got that extra richness, class and complexity that you're not going to find in the 1s of the same vintage. 

That being said, there is a premium on the A, although it is a larger cigar, and also a cigar that might be too large for some. But honestly, I don't think the 1 has much if anything to offer that gives it an advantage over the A. The A is really just on a different level. I really know of no other cigar that has been so universally praised since it's release.

Yes, yes, yes...the Connossieur A, however, it doesn't seem that long ago many of us where scrambling over ourselves to pick up aged 2011 boxes of Connoisseur No.1's, with splatterings of white 'dust' when they were periodically offered on 24:24 sales. I seem to recall these consistently sold out. How do they compare, I wonder? (I didn't pick up a box of these though, those H.Upmann Petit Coronas were distracting me at the time!)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Yes, yes, yes...the Connossieur A, however, it doesn't seem that long ago many of us where scrambling over ourselves to pick up aged 2011 boxes of Connoisseur No.1's, with splatterings of white 'dust' when they were periodically offered on 24:24 sales. I seem to recall these consistently sold out. How do they compare, I wonder? (I didn't pick up a box of these though, those H.Upmann Petit Coronas were distracting me at the time!)

True John, but no one was being forced to choose between the two! 

Aged Connie 1 is going to fly off the shelf every time and always. And of course, the 1 is pure value. I believe the 1 is actually the better value. Is the A 70% better than the 1? No it's not. But it's darn close. But comparing the two leaves little in doubt. And never would I knock the 1--it's a terrific cigar at a very good price. It's just that the A is that good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hutch said:

Odd math. ConnAs have recently been available for <$300

I don't know if it's a faux pas to talk about purchasing from other sites considering the delicious offerings from our host. I will point out however that a recently blind bought a box of Connie A's from a different vendor. $257 USD and they look/smell amazing. I posted pics to the recent purchases thread yesterday. I am now intrigued with the Connie 1s. Gonna start looking for a box of those now. 

@PadronFan now what did I tell you Max? This!

I love the Connie A and the blend really wowed me last year when I started taking notice of this cigar. I am not a fan of the RG however I forgive that because of the taste of the cigar.

I've only experience 2011 Connie 1's which have been really good too but hard to compare the two as others have mentioned already here.

• Like 1

I like the As pretty good, having had 3 fivers from different boxes, No doubt it is a quality cigar. 1s, when they were available with a few years on them and not priced as high as they are now, were a great stick for my Friday afternoon sit down with the guys. Good everyday cigar. I'm not sure I'm much of an Upman man, I'll take a good SD#4 any day over either of the Upmans. But that's just me.

10 hours ago, Hutch said:

Odd math. ConnAs have recently been available for <$300

The Connie 1's have also been as low as $170 though. Not exactly half but still a big difference In price point

Funny thing is that i smoked a Connie A that i have been aging since 2008 just yesterday.

It was just smooth toasty tobacco a la Upmann. No bitterness or spicyness that makes me cringe. All in all, a 9.5 smoke with tons of smoke, very good burn and amazing draw. Easily one of my favorite this summer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, agentdaffy007 said:

Funny thing is that i smoked a Connie A that i have been aging since 2008 just yesterday.

It was just smooth toasty tobacco a la Upmann. No bitterness or spicyness that makes me cringe. All in all, a 9.5 smoke with tons of smoke, very good burn and amazing draw. Easily one of my favorite this summer.

I thought Connie A came out in like 2013...  

• Like 2