Connie 1 vs Connie A

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then, logically speaking, you'd have to call the H.Upmann Sir Winston a "Royale with cheese!"

The Connie A is a double cheeseburger to me , the Connie 1 a nice piece of Camembert on a fresh baguette Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Well Thursday is the new Friday especially since the weather still permits a comfortable outdoor smoke.For once tonight it didn't take me long to decide what to smoke when I thought about this thread.

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Absolutely not saying your box isn't genuine. The price is just on the absolute lowest end of the possible spectrum. 

1 hour ago, luvdunhill said:

Pm’ed. Not sure what the point of this exercise is, though emoji4.png SOM SEP 15 were the codes received.

NSX.... To Dunhill's point, there is so no point to this exercise. Sounds like we're yelling prices at each other and not accomplishing much. I already have 1 box from said vendor. Other alternatives have been thrown out there. There are also vendors selling Connie As for $375+. 

You pay what you're comfortable with. My only challenge to you was, this distributor pricing you keep talking about... Do you have knowledge of what vendors are paying? I don't and I don't know that I care to know. 

My two cents is... If you trust a vendor and feel comfortable buying high ticket items from them, even at a discount. Smoke away boys! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

NSX.... To Dunhill's point, there is so no point to this exercise. Sounds like we're yelling prices at each other and not accomplishing much. I already have 1 box from said vendor. Other alternatives have been thrown out there. There are also vendors selling Connie As for $375+. 

You pay what you're comfortable with. My only challenge to you was, this distributor pricing you keep talking about... Do you have knowledge of what vendors are paying? I don't and I don't know that I care to know. 

My two cents is... If you trust a vendor and feel comfortable buying high ticket items from them, even at a discount. Smoke away boys! 

My point is that prices below a certain level are almost always indicative of fakes. Fake vendors often price about 10-20% below the lowest advertised prices, which if the lowest price for Connie A in stock is $300 (which it is right now) would be $250-270--or about what you paid. Of course, if your vendor is trusted, go for it. But I don't want anyone to think this is a price that is easily attainable and unless I was truly confident in the vendor I would see that price as a big red flag. Again, if the vendor is trusted, the price is less of an issue. But there are prices set by HSA and those are what they are. There really isn't much downward room for most retailers or distributors.

It seems like you got a tremendous deal from a trusted vendor, and good on you. But it must be called what it is and it's important to distinguish between that kind of deal and a price that is typically available as there are many fake vendors out there pricing their stock around that level and that is typically a dead giveaway that the cigars are fake. 

4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

My point is that prices below a certain level are almost always indicative of fakes. Fake vendors often price about 10-20% below the lowest advertised prices, which if the lowest price for Connie A in stock is $300 (which it is right now) would be $250-270--or about what you paid. Of course, if your vendor is trusted, go for it. But I don't want anyone to think this is a price that is easily attainable and unless I was truly confident in the vendor I would see that price as a big red flag. Again, if the vendor is trusted, the price is less of an issue. But there are prices set by HSA and those are what they are. There really isn't much downward room for most retailers or distributors.

It seems like you got a tremendous deal from a trusted vendor, and good on you. But it must be called what it is and it's important to distinguish between that kind of deal and a price that is typically available as there are many fake vendors out there pricing their stock around that level and that is typically a dead giveaway that the cigars are fake. 

I'll make this my last rebut to not bore anyone else reading the thread... I never claimed that the $257 I paid was standard pricing. I said I got a great deal on these. Clearly stated, on sale. 

On the other hand, you're using supposition to conclude that if it's priced 20% under retail (What's your benchmark? Whose price is the "real" price for legits?) then they must be fakes. Cause we can't use Cuban LCDH'S pricing as a benchmark, according to your earlier post. 

I recently did a side by side Siglo VI comparison with my friend. He bought street cigars in Havana (full box of VIs) and bought a 3 pack at hotel Nacional. We smoked them on different nights and I walked him thru the whole thing. From the weight of the cigars, bands, boxes, to the wet tobacco from the fakes... I mean the differences are stark. I've been smoking CCs for about 15 years now. I've smoked a few fakes and while I'm no expert I'd say the box you see below is just a lucky grab for me and anyone else who managed them at that sale price, but these are not fake. 

Defense rests your honor!

Now let's get back to smoking the crap out of these stix. 

Happy smoking men!

20170905_192459.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ericdriscoll said:

Recent Connie 1 is garbage. Discard anything past 2011. They are now produced as an afterthought and made in Cuba's worst factories.

MEG some of the worst factories?!!

Sorry mate, but from some of your posts I get the impression driscoll rhymes a bit too much with ... :troll:

• Like 2

Connie 1s are my second favourite after Mag 46s. In no way would I consider those a garbage cigar. Even right off the truck, my current box from DIC 16 is "on," big time. Never had a Connie A, so I can't speak to that, but the Connie-1 is in no way a junk cigar. And unlike many Montes and PSP2s, no construction issues, great draws and lots of creamy smoke with only a tinge of bitterness at the very end. Sad if they're discontinued next year, but I'm stocking up for Christmas that's for sure.

On 2017-09-06 at 2:16 AM, JohnS said:

Yes, yes, yes...the Connossieur A, however, it doesn't seem that long ago many of us where scrambling over ourselves to pick up aged 2011 boxes of Connoisseur No.1's, with splatterings of white 'dust' when they were periodically offered on 24:24 sales. I seem to recall these consistently sold out. How do they compare, I wonder? (I didn't pick up a box of these though, those H.Upmann Petit Coronas were distracting me at the time!)

I am smoking one of those 2011 "moldy" cigars right now and they do deliver!  As mentioned above the 1s are more straight forward (I get leather, nuts and a hint of cacao at the end).  I have older and younger 1s and they never disapoint - I really like that profile.  I would not nuy them blind though.

The A is simply a sublime and complex cigar.  And I would buy blind as the quality always seem to be good to great - I opened at least a dozen boxes and they were all looking awesome, which is consistent with what I have read here.

To me the Connie 1 is greatly underrated while the Connie A lives up to its reputation. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still in Cuba and just smoked the Connie 1 given out at the Partagas intro dinner and I must say it knocked my socks off. Spectacular. Assuming it's recently made as it was being handed out here. Better than any Connie A I've had and by far the best Connie 1 I've ever had since the early 2000s. Just so rich with that Upmann shortbread and impeccable construction. Ash to the band. Scored it a 94-95 points--as good as a young cigar can possibly be. Maybe the best cigar of the year for me. There's a couple MEG 15 boxes kicking around at some out of the way LCDHs here but mostly MEG 16 & 17. Grabbing a box for $154. Can't resist. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Still in Cuba and just smoked the Connie 1 given out at the Partagas intro dinner and I must say it knocked my socks off. Spectacular. Assuming it's recently made as it was being handed out here. Better than any Connie A I've had and by far the best Connie 1 I've ever had since the early 2000s. Just so rich with that Upmann shortbread and impeccable construction. Ash to the band. Scored it a 94-95 points--as good as a young cigar can possibly be. Maybe the best cigar of the year for me. There's a couple MEG 15 boxes kicking around at some out of the way LCDHs here but mostly MEG 16 & 17. Grabbing a box for $154. Can't resist. 

Great to hear.....I go in a week.....cant beat that price!

Ah crap-I literally just got back to NYC.Sorry I didn't get to meet you (or maybe I did!?!)Met a lot of BOTL this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Recently purchased a Box 2013 Connie A box that is smoking wonderfully. Please let me know your thoughts as I have been offered a second box. In all of your experiences with years is it worth purchasing a different year or continuing to load up as I want to see if there is experience with quality from 2013. Just want to see if I got lucky or if 2013 is a good year. 

If the price is right - go for it. Nothing wrong about securing a nice box of original release ConAs. If you like the production, the better. But if the markup is significant, I'd suggest checking out current production. No less well-made imho (just check out the many happy daily-smoke posters....)

That may be about right, I guess (not familiar with current international pricing), but out of a respect for our host, online-pricing should not be discussed openly here (although widely ignored in this thread). Whether that's worth it to you is really up to you. The box will surely be no disappointment if the first one from that same source wasn't. On the other hand, the difference may get you an additional box of Small Club Coronas, or Majestics or the like.... if you take it that way.