Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 vs No. 1

I am a fan of the 2's and Prez turned me onto them, but I think I like the No. 1 even better. I like the CG format a bit more and the flavors seem a little richer or darker. Perhaps Prez/others have similar tasting notes they'd like to share. I just noticed I have three boxes of the No.1 so I must like them hahaha!

• Like 1

I am a big fan of the No.2 but haven't had the same experience with the No.1s.  I have only had a couple, so maybe they weren't the best examples.  I will have to bust into the box I have been saving to see how those are.  I love the size, though!

• Like 1

I've never noticed any difference in blend between the two models even going back to the 90s. MRN does state that he believes the No. 1 may be a tad stronger than the No. 2 but this was in reference to cigars pre-2004 and again, I've never been able to say that this is true. The blends are much stronger than they were 10 years ago anyway. JL was known as a medium, woody and floral cigar until it became a citrusy-espresso cigar several years ago. 

• Like 1

JL1 wins for me. Not close. Have smoked many of each, but have never yet been tempted to pick up a box of 2s. They regularly disappoint either being rough and cheap tasting, or just boring.

JL1....mmmm...just checked and have none left. Once I see a decent price, I'll be all over them! I find them stronger than the 2s, but in a rich, full flavour way and not in a nicotine power way.

• Like 1

Always liked the JL1 better but since the blend change those Woody/leather/floral notes are not there, I feel I like them both now with an edge to the JL2.  I keep thinking with more time down the newer blended JL1's will get better though.  Or maybe just in my head.  

• 4 years later...

didn't want to create a new thread so reviving this one - 

would love to hear opinions on the differences between the two! 

i am familiar with the 2 and it is part of my rotation but have not tried the 1 so i am wondering how does it compare?

• JohnS changed the title to Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 vs No. 1

I've got a few boxes of each and to my palate there is a very slight but almost unnoticeable difference in the blend. I find the 2 slightly richer (but not stronger, nicotine wise) than the 1 although I prefer the 1 for the vitola.

You can't go wrong with either... For me, it's more of a question of how much time do I have to smoke - longer, 1, less time, 2.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Is it just me or aren’t the wrappers typically darker on the 2s versus the 1s? 

Good observation.  I agree - I would say in my experience the JL1's are predominantly Colorado Claro shaded, whereas I've had JL2's seem to be all over the place - I've had some with very dark (almost maduro) wrappers on them.

To me, the JL1 is a little bit lighter bodied but has much more complexity and depth.  The JL2 isn't as subtle, more full bodied with loud flavors that jump out at you.  I smoke both but I personally like the JL1 better

• Like 3