Auction in Canada today for Pappy

canadianbeaver

That's crazy...

A few years ago, I ordered a bottle of the 15 year for about $65, which seemed like a lot to spend on a bottle of bourbon.  I really enjoyed it, and tried to order another bottle. I was shocked to find that the going rate was many hundreds of dollars... not sure what happened.

• Like 1

Pappy isn't really at the top of the heap either from a quality prospective.  There are several generally available bourbons that would stand out above Pappy if we had a taste test. Buffalo trace is selling marketing and whiskey. That's the only two thing's happening in whiskey. You buy the bottle with the labels with the story and you buy the contents. There is often a world of difference between the two.

some thoughts on pappy from a van winkle.

Pappy Van Winkle Spirit Guide

Julian Van Winkle claims not to possess a
 “schooled palate,” but when it comes to his own whiskey lineup, he’s the ultimate authority

by Steve Russell

August/September 2012

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

photo: Joe Pugliese

GG0412_JulianVanWinkle_06-823x1100.jpg

Van Winkle Special Reserve
“At 12 years, this one is older than most bourbons out there, but it’s pretty young for us,” says Van Winkle, and as such is well suited for after-dinner cocktail concoctions. “It’s light and fruity, with a bit of dates and caramel taste. It’s just a real drinkable bourbon.”

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15-year-old
Bottled closest to barrel proof, it packs big flavor with its big alcohol kick. “It’s still amazingly smooth for 107 proof,” Van Winkle says. “And for some reason it has some citrus notes, which makes it perfect for making an old-fashioned. Out of all of them, it’s my personal favorite.”

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20-year-old
For some Pappy fans, two decades is the magic crossroads of smoothness and flavor. “There’s not much bite at all,” Van Winkle says. “Caramel and vanilla notes really hit home, with just a hint of chocolate. Don’t mess it up with a bunch of ice, and certainly not in a cocktail.”

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23-year-old
What does an extra three years gain? More intense flavors of ripe fruit and chocolate, plus charred oak from the barrel wood. “There’s too much oak for some people, but lots of others like it,” Van Winkle says. “It should be enjoyed neat, with maybe a drop or two of water to open it up.”

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Made with more corn than a typical rye whiskey, the Van Winkle version is a little sweeter and creamier. “It’s that combination of sweetness and rye’s natural grainy spice that makes this one special,” Van Winkle says. “I find it goes along with a good cigar even better than bourbon.”

22 hours ago, Ethernut said:

Pappy isn't really at the top of the heap either from a quality prospective.  There are several generally available bourbons that would stand out above Pappy if we had a taste test. Buffalo trace is selling marketing and whiskey. That's the only two thing's happening in whiskey. You buy the bottle with the labels with the story and you buy the contents. There is often a world of difference between the two.

Do you have any recommendations that aren't for the super-wealthy?

2 hours ago, mwaller said:

Do you have any recommendations that aren't for the super-wealthy?

There are tons of bourbons easily under $100 that are very impressive. It all depends on your preferences. Wheat, sweet, corn, rye, high abv, smooth...

Some of my favorites that are easy to find and relatively inexpensive are:

Weller 107

Buffalo Trace Stagg JR

Eagle Rare 10

Four Roses Small Batches (with some variety, but always good, never had a bad one)

And for about $20-$30 every day drinker, regular Buffalo Trace is very good. No need to go crazy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shlomo said:

There are tons of bourbons easily under $100 that are very impressive. It all depends on your preferences. Wheat, sweet, corn, rye, high abv, smooth...

Some of my favorites that are easy to find and relatively inexpensive are:

Weller 107

Buffalo Trace Stagg JR

Eagle Rare 10

Four Roses Small Batches (with some variety, but always good, never had a bad one)

And for about $20-$30 every day drinker, regular Buffalo Trace is very good. No need to go crazy.

Thanks! Yes, I do like all of those except for the Stagg Jr.  Perhaps its the high proof, but I just don't enjoy that one.  

Agreed - regular Buffalo Trace is one of the best, albeit somewhat inconsistent from batch to batch.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...