PigFish

Punch Coronations (T)

Recommended Posts

So... I have not done a video review in some time so I thought I would finally edit this one up and post it. Frankly, I find the review boring!!! Watch if you must but these cigars have not been that impressive.

I wanted a new version of the RS12. I did not find it here, but in fairness they may be hiding in some boxes of these somewhere.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

-Piggy

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great review as always Ray, 

Really enjoying the RS11's at the moment.They are in a very pleasant state, and getting nuances of something I've only ever tried once, which is 'Genmaicha" Japanese roasted rice tea. It's a very moreish profile, which is something I've picked up in other Punch's i've had.

I don't have any experience with the SS series, How would you say they differ?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 99call said:

Great review as always Ray, 

Really enjoying the RS11's at the moment.They are in a very pleasant state, and getting nuances of something I've only ever tried once, which is 'Genmaicha" Japanese roasted rice tea. It's a very moreish profile, which is something I've picked up in other Punch's i've had.

I don't have any experience with the SS series, How would you say they differ?. 

@99call, here's the deal. I don't recall, have not smoked one in years.

I was going to chase this with a legit RS12, but I can sideline that for a SS2! I was going to review one when one of the forum requests went up, but just did not have the time. I have some design work to do on an Ozzy friends project and I can likely do that from the computer in the shop with the SS2.

I also has some of the newer '06 to '08 of the SS1 in new cabs. I have been waiting for God knows what excuse to break into those and can do that as well. You call it amigo and I will do the next video review on that one!

Cheers! -R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never find any real enjoyment in the bargain blends. They never deliver the sweetness or complexity I expect... totalamente a mano or not. I must admit I caved and picked up some PL panatelas to try for watering the lawn and scooping dog chit. If these suck, no more cheapies for me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I never find any real enjoyment in the bargain blends. They never deliver the sweetness or complexity I expect... totalamente a mano or not. I must admit I caved and picked up some PL panatelas to try for watering the lawn and scooping dog chit. If these suck, no more cheapies for me!!

In days past I had a lot of luck with the cheapies. The RGPC was always a cheapie... They always 'used' to appear to be made with the same tobacco as anything else. Maybe that is not the case anymore. I think you just have to smoke enough to convince yourself of either case.

I went ahead and did a back to back video of the SS2... I was really surprised. These never really rocked my world but the sample smoked was quite good. Will post up the video when I have a moment.

Cheers all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PigFish said:

@99call, here's the deal. I don't recall, have not smoked one in years.

I was going to chase this with a legit RS12, but I can sideline that for a SS2! I was going to review one when one of the forum requests went up, but just did not have the time. I have some design work to do on an Ozzy friends project and I can likely do that from the computer in the shop with the SS2.

I also has some of the newer '06 to '08 of the SS1 in new cabs. I have been waiting for God knows what excuse to break into those and can do that as well. You call it amigo and I will do the next video review on that one!

Cheers! -R

Hi Ray,

It would be interesting to see you do the RS12 as it was your original intention (i.e. comparison to the Coronations), and selfishly I also have an option on some, so would be interested to see how they're going. 

Best, Stefan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can one of you mates explain what is SS1, RS12, SS2, RS11.  Have been scratching me head

attempting to figure what these smokes are.  Thanks.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kuma said:

Can one of you mates explain what is SS1, RS12, SS2, RS11.  Have been scratching me head

attempting to figure what these smokes are.  Thanks.......

Super Selection Number 1/2, Royal Selection Number 11/12. All discontinued (I believe).

Edit: John beat me to it (and with a more informative answer at that)..

Edited by encephalization
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  Wow Punch or should I say Habanos looks like they really had it in for this line of smokes.  Were they not very good or just a "sign of the times"

Shorter fatter ring gauged smokes are now the in "color" as we speak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kuma said:

Thanks!  Wow Punch or should I say Habanos looks like they really had it in for this line of smokes.  Were they not very good or just a "sign of the times"

Shorter fatter ring gauged smokes are now the in "color" as we speak!

I would say the death of Punch's SS & RS series and Partagas Serie Du series, are the most heinous of all the catalogue clippings. If you ever get the chance to try some, you'll never be the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have some Punch Coronations (25) tubos coming.  Viewed the video (Pig Fish) and I am drawing average to a little

above average on this smoke in terms of ratings.  I have had these when in Spain, France and Japan and

as a 1'zs or 2'zs as a smoke in the am with coffee and nothing negative stands out about them.  I do keep a travel

cigar journal but at this time pressed for time or i'd dig it up.  What say the rest of members about this smoke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like them and the petit coronations ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These cigars were deleted ultimately due to (lack of) sales, it's as simple as that. For example, there were a few Coronas Gordas in the Punch marque in the past but the Punch Punch remained because it sold a lot more.

As Ray said in his review, these are considered a 'yardgar', i.e. a cigar you'd smoke while doing errands or outdoor work around your house. I used to smoke heaps of these years ago, but if I don't get some element of shortbread and cream texture out of my Punch nowadays, well, I'm inclined to look elsewhere. The Petit Coronation (40 ring gauge x 117 mm) is a better option for me. If you are okay with the toasted tobacco and cedar/wood profile, then Coronations are fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PigFish said:

 

I went ahead and did a back to back video of the SS2... I was really surprised. These never really rocked my world but the sample smoked was quite good. Will post up the video when I have a moment.

Cheers all!

I had about a cab and a half of the SS#2. It took a long time for them to get good but when they did, wow, they were good. Long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can one of you mates explain what is SS1, RS12, SS2, RS11.  Have been scratching me head
attempting to figure what these smokes are.  Thanks.......

What a good Punch used to taste like before they bombed the line with REs and generic blends.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 7:50 AM, JohnS said:

These cigars were deleted ultimately due to (lack of) sales, it's as simple as that. For example, there were a few Coronas Gordas in the Punch marque in the past but the Punch Punch remained because it sold a lot more.

As Ray said in his review, these are considered a 'yardgar', i.e. a cigar you'd smoke while doing errands or outdoor work around your house. I used to smoke heaps of these years ago, but if I don't get some element of shortbread and cream texture out of my Punch nowadays, well, I'm inclined to look elsewhere. The Petit Coronation (40 ring gauge x 117 mm) is a better option for me. If you are okay with the toasted tobacco and cedar/wood profile, then Coronations are fine.

I used to love the Black Prince; an amazing smoke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.