Punch Super Selection #2 EAR JUL 02

PigFish

Great job Ray, very thorough and considered. 

Glad it came through in the end.

I do agree with you that any given cigar is essentially just its own entity, and not to be considered as just a certain blend/brand etc.   It's more exciting that way anyway, I don't know why anyone would want to limit their expectations to anything before an experience. 

I do however think there are truisms. Every Monte 2 i've ever had, had a flavour profile which was either just a bad or good version of the same tune (so to speak), 

I think its all about a level of magnification, some might think they could pick the difference between a 80's R&j Churchill and one from the 90's. I like you would be very sceptical, I think seeing the brands as loosely being able to offer certain characteristics/truisms to be the correct degree of clarity in cuban cigar production. 

Punch as a brand isn't something I've had a great deal of (mainly getting into the RS range now). But it's very intriguing as It seems to be able to walk the line of being relatively strong, but hard to put your finger on (or at least for me anyway). Ramon Allones, Partagas, and Bolivar all come across as quite distinct to me. 

Cheers again, great review, and very useful

7 hours ago, 99call said:

I do however think there are truisms. Every Monte 2 i've ever had, had a flavour profile which was either just a bad or good version of the same tune (so to speak), 

I think its all about a level of magnification, some might think they could pick the difference between a 80's R&j Churchill and one from the 90's. I like you would be very sceptical, I think seeing the brands as loosely being able to offer certain characteristics/truisms to be the correct degree of clarity in cuban cigar production. 

This could be true... I just cannot taste it. I have proffered for some time that many might have more sensitive tastes than I do. I have been smoking cigars for 30+ years and enjoying hot spicy foods for far longer. There are some things I just cannot taste!

I have always left the 'amplitude' argument open, in my mind, but not really in my discussion. The reason is evidence, evidence other than anecdotal.

I have seen this as 'it must be recognized' by the general population, or a reputation, taste, market presence... etc., does not exist.

Thanks for watching and commenting.

@Ken Gargett, no mate did not end up panning the cigar. I enjoyed it. Cheers all!

-Ray

48 minutes ago, PigFish said:

enjoying hot spicy foods for far longer. 

As a foodie, this grabbed my interest, how spicy are we talking? 

15,000,000 - 16,000,000 “5 Pure Capsacin
2,000,000 - 10,000,000 “5 Pepper Extracts - ie, The Source, Blair’s Reserve
8,800,000 - 9,100,000 “5 Norhydrocapsaicin
6,000,000 - 8,600,000 “5 Homocapsaicin, Homodihydrocapsaicin
2,500,000 - 5,300,000 “5 US Grade Police Pepper Spray
2,000,000 - 2,200,000 “5 Carolina Reaper
1,150,000 - 2,000,000 “5 Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T, Naga Viper, Common Pepper Spray
855,000 - 1,463,000 “4 Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia)
876,000 - 970,000 “4 Dorset Naga
350,000 - 855,000 “4 Red Savina Habanero, Indian Tezpur
100,000 - 350,000 “4 Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Bird’s Eye, Jamaican
50,000 - 100,000 “3 Thai Hot Peppers, Chilitepin, Santaka
30,000 - 50,000 “3 Cayenne, Tabasco, Piquin, Aji
15,000 - 30,000 “3 Chile de Arbol, Manzano
5,000 - 15,000 “2 Serrano, Yellow Wax Pepper
2,500 - 20,000 “2 Jalapeno, Poblano, Chipotle, Mirasol
1,500 - 2,500 “2 Sandia, Cascabel, NuMex Big Jim
1,000 - 1,500 “1 Ancho, Anaheim, Pasilla, Espanola
100 - 1,000 “1 Paprika, Anaheim, Mexican Bell, Pepperoncini, Cherry
0 - 100 “1 Sweet Bell Peppers, Sweet Banana, Pimento

I like a lot of West Indian food a lot,  and I think I top out at Scotch Bonnet peppers.   Have you ever tipped into the badlands of the 350.000+ Scoville scale?

A nice episode of As Ray Sees It with a cigar review:D. PSS#2 were the bomb and Ken is right, who ever discontinued them should be in jail. I haven't smoked Cuban cigars long enough to be very  familiar with "old school" pre cigar boom cigars but the '02 SS#2, I think, comes as close as I going to get. They needed more than 5 years to come around, too strong and tannic for me, but when they did, wow.