I have a problem!

so I have few untouched boxes (cabs) stored away for about 6 -8yrs now and throughout those years I kept thinking trying one out to see where they are at but every time I open up the cab and see those beauties untouched and in a perfect layout, I end up leaving it untouched and just stare at it for 10 minutes then but them back in back of my Humi....  oh man... have you ever run into that situation? Just look at those PLPC I have stored for years..... I think I have a problem.... what should I do?? Never smoke them? Ha

IMG_0006.JPG

• Haha 1

so I have few untouched boxes (cabs) stored away for about 6 -8yrs now and throughout those years I kept thinking trying one out to see where they are at but every time I open up the cab and see those beauties untouched and in a perfect layout, I end up leaving it untouched and just stare at it for 10 minutes then but them back in back of my Humi....  oh man... have you ever run into that situation? Just look at those PLPC I have stored for years..... I think I have a problem.... what should I do?? Never smoke them? Ha

IMG_0006.JPG.4c306359ddd77cecae3ab57c4e21fe31.JPG
Unfortunately, I don't have that problem. I can't keep my hands out of my stash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IMG_0006.JPG.4c306359ddd77cecae3ab57c4e21fe31.JPG
Unfortunately, I don't have that problem. I can't keep my hands out of my stash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I dont have the room to hoard, nor the cash to buy already aged stock. Everything in the two humidors I have (A 50 ct and 150ct desktop) are filled with sticks that can be smoked now or left for a few months nap. If I did have the room to age things I doubt I'd have the self control to keep my grubby hands off them. Lifes too short to be sitting on sticks for years, who knows if you'll still be around down the road to enjoy them. Smoke em if you got em is my philosophy haha.

• Like 4

One can't smoke cigars and age them as well. You need to buy until breaking a box hurts less.

6 years is a long time to give a box, I hold the most prized sticks for 5 years before I dive in. Then I sample until they are in the sweet spot and have at them. And hey, if they are your babies and you raised them from a pup, do what ever you want. You'll  crack the cab when you are ready and will enjoy the cigars all the more because you loved and took care of them.

• Like 1

Talk with your prior self -- the one from 6-8 years ago -- and ask, "should I smoke them?"  Methinks the answer would be, "I didn't put them in there to look at and my friends won't be that impressed with my self control."  Smoke up!

(With that said, I have the same damn problem)

One of the many stray dogs I had brought home in my younger years I went through a whole LOT of  time, care, trouble, extra-methods of this-that-and the other-thing and so on.  Most of the people who know me compliment me on how well I take care of my dogs.  But anyway during these set of years I was going through a whole lot of hassle, time and expense.  I shared with my Mom all I was doing and she told me, "The dog is there for your convenience; you're not there for the dog's convenience!"

That bit of wisdom stayed with me through the years in as far as teaching me how to keep things in proper perspective. I also read about a poor man who had lost his wife to an illness. While going through her personal effects he came across that lovely blue laced slip he'd bought for her years ago...she had never worn it. Everytime she was asked about it she'd always said she was saving it to wear for a special occasion. In his grief stricken agony he banged his fist on the dresser drawer and he sobbed about how she would only be wearing it now in her passing, while he'd bought it for her to enjoy in life. 

Soooo- my humble recommendation to you, my dear Smoking Ninja - is to go on and enjoy those smokes NOW - or when you're ready. You bought and paid for them for your enjoyment - they're not there to be unused ornaments hanging on the bedroom wall.  And - you never know when your ticket will be punched. Do you want to go on to your reward without ever enjoying some of your stash!? 

• Like 3

Main reasons to avoid cracking a box (that I've found):

1) You're thinking about selling it down the road.
2) The cigars are rare / expensive, and you want to save them for special occasions.
3) You really dislike the vibrant / mongrel taste of young cigars.

Other than some "herd thinning" thoughts I've had, to make space in my humidor, #1 holds little sway with me.  #2 and #3 are factors in some cases.

Otherwise, smoke 'em, and enjoy!  And I agree with @mrmessy -- enjoy them over time to follow the journey as they age.

• Like 1

Smoke those lovely cigars like it was your last day among us, brother, for tomorrow is never assured.

I went through a hoarding phase, then realized my tastes changed and I didn't like those any more, and I ended up giving away, trading and selling a lot of cigars. Now, I have one small box with some very rare cigars I intend to smoke on great occasions, with some treasures like Davidoff and a number of early ELs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guest Nekhyludov

I know that would feel the same, so I avoid the problem by smoking one as soon as the box arrives. That way, when they've aged, I don't have to feel bad about disturbing a perfect box. 

Good Lord, CCs are meant to be smoked.  How do you know if they are smoking at peak right now? Past peak? Still need ageing? UNLESS you actually try one.

I don't have the patience, interest or brainwidth to deal with people who blindly lay their stock down!

When you get your box, let them acclimatize in your humi then try one at 30 days. Why in the world would you NOT do this!? They could be ideal ROTT for god's sake!

• Like 1

I've been guilty of hoarding. It took me a while to realize that of all the amazing cigars I've had, I'd rather have the memories of taste and enjoyment of that stick than the memory of it sitting in my humidor.

I had an older SLR DC for a number of years that I truly forgot about in my singles drawer. One day I just grabbed it and fired it up, it was glorious. One of the best smokes I've had, I can remember it much better now.

Plus... it's a 50 cab, you have 49 more :) restock at 25 and do it again. 

Do what makes you happy, enjoy in good health. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, westg said:

Smoke one today... and when you feel like it smoke another. you can still pull them out and look them when you have 40 30 20 10..Fire one up  and post it here.

If he smoked one every week, it would take an entire year to hit the last.

Fire 'em up!

2 hours ago, Buck14 said:

Good Lord, CCs are meant to be smoked.  How do you know if they are smoking at peak right now? Past peak? Still need ageing? UNLESS you actually try one.

I don't have the patience, interest or brainwidth to deal with people who blindly lay their stock down!

When you get your box, let them acclimatize in your humi then try one at 30 days. Why in the world would you NOT do this!? They could be ideal ROTT for god's sake!

Well, in my limited experience, I have not had one CC that is ideal cigar when young! I usually find them more approachable at one year mark or older but never within its first yr.  Thats just me!