Your first ever box buy?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first box was a box of R y J Clarines in September 2001 in Marrakaech duty free, on the way back from our honeymoon. I think the box code was 1998, I still have the empty box somewhere. It was an i

Like it was yesterday; the rest have been a blur...

My first was a box of Monte #4 from Czar, a long, long time ago. Just got word that there was some cigar-peddler in Australia that was supposed to be trustworthy (even though possibly a communist

Was a box of Por Larrañaga Montecarlos EOG NOV 00. I still have that box with three cigars left.

PL_Montecarlo06_small.thumb.jpg.755a066ff6649c4b5d804a5f254746cc.jpg

It wasn't exactly a box buy as i purchased two singles from that box at first and was blown away by the first one i tasted.It took me about a month to return to that dealer and as luck would have it the remaining 23 cigars were still in that box. Within a minute or two i was on my way back home and proud owner of my first box of cigars . . . some more should follow.

Second was probably a box of Por Larrañaga Lolas en Cedros, but i am not shure about that.

PL_LolasEnCedro_small.thumb.jpg.d7b8e7eb2b08f73c76e41edd0b7fda89.jpg

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to be in Havana for my first box purchase. It was at the Morro Castle LCDH.

I was so excited (I found some 3 year old Lusitanias, a jar of Noellas, and Culebras) that I almost forgot to inspect the sticks for damage and get a receipt. Luckily, I got ahead of my nerves and calmly asked the retailer to open the boxes prior to purchase, which worked out just fine. I'll always try to hold onto some of these as they are so special to me. 

Cohiba Robusto coming back to London from my honeymoon in Crete.

Always enjoyed cigars.

So my brother had bought me a 5 pack of Cohiba Siglo III's and a bottle of Dalmore 15 in duty free on his way over to the wedding Ireland from Oz.

It's a slippery slope. 

On 10/2/2017 at 12:03 PM, rckymtn22 said:

My first box was bought during one of my first trips to Cuba in 2005 was a box of 10 Guantanamera. :wacko: What is left is aging nicely. :liar:

Now I know a lot more and wouldn't even go near them.

My first FOH box was HU Mag 50. Now those are ageing real nice!

Cristales. Mmmm yummy.

My first box purchase was a 25 cab of Boli Belicosos Finos, circa 2008. Beautiful honey colored wrappers, perfect fill, perfect draw, beautifully intense flavor. Purchased blind, so I was a nervous wreck through the whole process. 

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

First box ever was an Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro Robusto.  My local shop has a close relationship with Oliva and did a 60% off sale.  Less then $40 for 10 premium cigars was a no brainier.  This also taught me the benefits of aging.  Right out of the box they are a bit harsh and the maduro wrapper is overpowering.  9 months later, smoother and more refined. 

First ever Cuban was two at the same time, Partagas Serie D #4 and Bolivar Royal Corona. 

Edited by JoeKitchen

My first ever box buys were from a trip to cuba. I dont know the codes bu they were Party D4's and Monty# 2's. Still get them on the regular and the boxes of these still bring me the same amount of joy. 

Ironically, ive never bought a box of non cubans. I go to B&M stores often but always buy a few at a time. Although the Oliva Serie V Melanio is one I buy often and would get a box, just not maduro @JoeKitchen... I wish I could get that 40% off deal on Oliva!!

@SOFLO88 they had one vitola of all Oliva lines on sale that day.  Although the regular Melanio is my preference, it was the perfecto that was 60% off.  Very nice cigar, but too long to have regularly; I rarely have the time, nor patience, to sit down and relax for 90+ minutes usually.  So I opted for the maduro robusto. 

They have a buy one get one free sale every February for Oliva too.  I may buy a box of each and rest both of them for a year or two this February.  The maduro really becomes very nice after a year. 

I posted earlier in this thread that my first ever box purchase was a box of Robaina Unicos chosen and autographed by Carlos Robaina.  My wife and I posed for photos with him.  One of the highlights of our trip to Cuba.

Ole Carlos looks happier to be with my wife than with me. 

5a273bbf0b56d_Robainafirstboxbuy.JPG.8799848314c9d19e66c403db294376c1.JPG

IMG_3233.thumb.JPG.4c3a670e94a048cd57cfbafbba287265.JPG

IMG_3228.thumb.JPG.5e43e8be8ff7076c4ae6fed62511fa55.JPG

Box of CoRo, 1992, because I worked for a guy who collected wine and always had Cubans from Switzerland. Just could not resist after being introduced to a number of fantastic Bordeaux wines, accompanied by some exceptional Cohiba's.