Current Saint Luis Rey Production - late 2017

Recently, I had GAT Sep 2012 Saint Luis Rey Serie A, thanks to @Duxnutz.

59d4546c44b79_2017-09-2912_45_26.thumb.jpg.542b15c7f89acfb1e8052d6ed8578f89.jpg

About a week later, I had a 2016 Saint Luis Regios, one of the cigars from the Sublime Selfies Weekend prize I was graciously gifted on account of our members.

59d4547035e43_2017-10-0120_38_41.thumb.jpg.d88a454da310cea02c66af1fdd8a2c6d.jpg

I will post up more detailed reviews of these cigars at a later date, but in summary, the difference between these two cigars was quite evident. I enjoyed them both, however, the best way to adequately describe the contrast in these two Saint Luis Rey cigars is to say that the Serie A showed signs of benefiting from aging, a lovely sweet cocoa, hay, honey and dried apricot complexity that will only delineate more with further rest. The Regios had more toast and tobacco as the main flavours, with elements of bread and honey, it was nowhere near as complex as the Serie A, yet I still enjoyed it.

I guess I lament the fact that the Saint Luis Rey marca is now basically represented by the Hermosos No.4, Regios. Both the Double Corona and Serie A are currently either deleted or in a production hiatus and I consider it a shame that they are not available. Sure, SLR is not for everyone, and they can take a long time to mature, heck even then they can be bland, yet on the other hand, they can exhibit a lovely cocoa and honey sweetness when they are 'on'.

The current Saint Luis Rey Marquez Cuba Regional Edition has had mixed reviews, alternating between good and toasted tobacco blandness and Regios are not noted as a cigar to long-term age. Can Saint Luis Rey return as a marca whereby you could appreciate a sublime, aged and complex regular production cigar? I wonder...:thinking::confused:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, planetary said:

Sigh.

Wherefore art thou, heritage program?

I'm not literary at all, but I did learn something in English lit class...It's a common misconception that when Juliet says "wherefore art thou Romeo?" she is asking 'where' he is. In fact she is asking 'why?'. Essentially; "Why the hell do you have to be called Romeo?" because she is not allowed to love *that* name. (Capulet/Montague feud).  Wherefore is 'why' not 'where'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a real shame, John. Some of the best cigars I've ever smoked were SLRs.

But, like my other favourite marca Sancho Panza, they seem to have become unfashionable in a world of stubby, overly-fat, ready-to-go-from-year-one cigars.

Patience, balance, and elegance apparently have no place in the modern world.

• Like 3

My ORG SEP 15 SLR Regios is the worst box of CCs that I have ever smoked.  Good construction, decent burn, reasonable draw....BUT, absolutely zero taste or aroma at all. A complete “NOTHING” cigar.  Very disappointing.   Had they been out of balance or too harsh I could put them down awhile and perhaps they’d balance out but these tasteless wonders I fear will never please.

• Like 1

SLRs (like many other marcas and vitolas) were never sought after... until they became discontinued. Many smokers seek exclusivity in their smoking choices, rather than a preferable size and flavor (not flash) in a readily available cigar....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

I'm not literary at all, but I did learn something in English lit class...It's a common misconception that when Juliet says "wherefore art thou Romeo?" she is asking 'where' he is. In fact she is asking 'why?'. Essentially; "Why the hell do you have to be called Romeo?" because she is not allowed to love *that* name. (Capulet/Montague feud).  Wherefore is 'why' not 'where'.

:clap:

• Like 1

While I would generally concur in that observation with regard to the effect of discontinuations @Brandon as that is what is to be expected somehow (lovers of respective marcas or vitolas finally stocking up, after having bought smaller amounts more regularly over the years), I am not so sure whether this is holding in this case for Saint Luis Rey. A marca that had always been rather low in production and had historically been for a long time only available to UK smokers. But it had its keen following, that's for sure (I'd compare it with LGC, which has been similarly killed). That held up even after the exclusiveness of distribution had been taken away from Silverstone, and other markets were begun to be served. So, I think there is also an effect of new(er) smokers just having learned about that marca when it was soon to drop out (50-cabs of Lonsdales, Churchills and DCs were never that easy to source). I think, the Regios is being kept alive for the time being mainly strategically for trademark reasons.

For me, SLR had always been a quality marca using very good tobacco (which seems currently being diverted into other products, as Piggy "charcterizes" it so aptly in his usual fine, moderated style...:D) and there is good reason seeking after it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

What is your point John (rhetorical, read with levity).

No one gives a shit about SLR cigars...! The proof is, that they are no longer made, not really. They must have never sold...!

These were absolutely useless cigars just taking up resources from grander cigars, like the upcoming Cohiba Expandus Sphincterous Extremo... 

Why would anyone in their right mind even consider an SLR cigar? They only have one band. There is nothing special about the box, and there is too damn many in the boxes... Who the hell wants 25 cigars when 10 cost $200.00???

What the hell is wrong with you...? I think you should get in line and delete this thread before you cause a ruckus with the 'old school stools' that frequent this place. You will get them all riled up, and Geritol sales will again go through the roof...

Damn troublemaker!

-the Pig

Brilliant. Respect the Pig. ?

• Like 1

My Favorite marca.  Which means of course that they've discontinued it to within an inch of it's life.

But hey! At least they finally cleaned up the embossing iron for the bands.  Used to be you couldn't even tell that it was a coat of arms before, now most bands are extremely well embossed.  Baby steps!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PigFish said:

What is your point John (rhetorical, read with levity).

No one gives a shit about SLR cigars...! The proof is, that they are no longer made, not really. They must have never sold...!

These were absolutely useless cigars just taking up resources from grander cigars, like the upcoming Cohiba Expandus Sphincterous Extremo... 

Why would anyone in their right mind even consider an SLR cigar? They only have one band. There is nothing special about the box, and there is too damn many in the boxes... Who the hell wants 25 cigars when 10 cost $200.00???

What the hell is wrong with you...? I think you should get in line and delete this thread before you cause a ruckus with the 'old school stools' that frequent this place. You will get them all riled up, and Geritol sales will again go through the roof...

Damn troublemaker!

-the Pig

You're running low on your 2002 Ramon Allones Petit Coronas, aren't you? Time to ring Habanos S.A....dial 911! :lol:

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

SLRs (like many other marcas and vitolas) were never sought after... until they became discontinued. Many smokers seek exclusivity in their smoking choices, rather than a preferable size and flavor (not flash) in a readily available cigar....

Umm not quite. Heaps of cigar smokers (the ones not super active on here that know what they like and have many of them on hand) enjoy one particular cigar. I've been smoking SLRs and the A in particular for close to a decade now. I've hunted down 50 cabs from '08 (which I really should have given ya one @JohnS to compare) and have been buying a box or two a year since. Exclusivity is for the rappers and millennials.

• Like 1

Umm not quite. Heaps of cigar smokers (the ones not super active on here that know what they like and have many of them on hand) enjoy one particular cigar. I've been smoking SLRs and the A in particular for close to a decade now. I've hunted down 50 cabs from '08 (which I really should have given ya one [mention=23478]JohnS[/mention] to compare) and have been buying a box or two a year since. Exclusivity is for the rappers and millennials.

I said MANY..... not ALL.

If SLRs we’re flying off the shelves like Cohibas, they would have never been cut.

When I was buying 97 and 98 SLR in all vitolas 15+ years ago, they were available at several vendors for years... all vitolas... all aged.

When a stupid SLR RE comes out with double bands and numbered boxes... how long do they sit on the shelves????

On the other hand, the entire catalog has been butchered like the face on an aging, Hollywood actor....

• Like 2

This thread, especially the title (borderline clickbait :P), makes me sad. It's not really about late 2017 SLR current production, but rather the lack of SLR regular production. Here I was so excited to see a Serie A, hope springing eternal, but nope just a relic from the not so distant past.