The Gin Industry in Australia

JohnS

• 2 months later...

I'm lead to believe by one of the more recent establishments locally "Fosseys Gin" it has allot to do with tax etc making it an affordable entry.
He had planned Rum also but apparently the taxes etc are crippling.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, JohnS said:

Below is a link that discusses current retailers who manufacture gin in Australia. It certainly has become a boutique industry.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/drinks/cocktails-spirits/gin-101-the-perfect-gin-and-tonic-plus-10-australian-craft-gins-to-try-20170926-gyp96l

john, way more than a boutique industry at the moment. chatting with friends from a small independent retail store yesterday. selling about as much gin per day now as they did all month last november. you know how four pillars, amongst many, have kicked off.

not come across fossey's before but there are a heap of good tiny producers.

• Like 1

As a side note, the gin industry is booming in Germany as well - started out with Monkey 47 (still the best Gin I ever had) and now there are dozens of local distilleries bringing out their own product. Also lots and lots of people have taken to Gin drinks as their favorite. I don't see this wave in US just yet.

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

As a side note, the gin industry is booming in Germany as well - started out with Monkey 47 (still the best Gin I ever had) and now there are dozens of local distilleries bringing out their own product. Also lots and lots of people have taken to Gin drinks as their favorite. I don't see this wave in US just yet.

agree about monkey 47. stunning.

gin is big in spain as well. and Scandinavia.

not sure about the states. be surprised if gin is not going well there also. i know the guys at four pillars only kicked off after touring the west coast and visiting a lot of the little distilleries doing gin.

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

john, way more than a boutique industry at the moment. chatting with friends from a small independent retail store yesterday. selling about as much gin per day now as they did all month last november. you know how four pillars, amongst many, have kicked off.

not come across fossey's before but there are a heap of good tiny producers.

Definitely, the gin industry has seen a big change recently, and in a short time. And Four Pillars' example in their innovation and marketing in the last few years has proven what quality one can sample in these new gin products.

agree about monkey 47. stunning.
gin is big in spain as well. and Scandinavia.
not sure about the states. be surprised if gin is not going well there also. i know the guys at four pillars only kicked off after touring the west coast and visiting a lot of the little distilleries doing gin.

It's definitely growing - Santa Cruz near me now has two distilleries making Gin - but not yet at the level I've seen in Germany.

KL Wines near me did a special KL Wines release from Four Pillars. I now have 5 different gins from them at home - regular, navy strength, bloody Shiraz, barrel aged, and KL Wines.

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

It's definitely growing - Santa Cruz near me now has two distilleries making Gin - but not yet at the level I've seen in Germany.

KL Wines near me did a special KL Wines release from Four Pillars. I now have 5 different gins from them at home - regular, navy strength, bloody Shiraz, barrel aged, and KL Wines.

spoke to the guys about the KL release. a one-off that they have never replicated for anyone anywhere in the world.

spoke to the guys about the KL release. a one-off that they have never replicated for anyone anywhere in the world.

Is it any good? I haven't opened it yet...