Review: PG Perlas & Quinteros Favoritos

manicdvln

I was in Beirut for a few days and I was wondering which boxes I should buy below the 100$ mark. So I went looking in cheapo subsection to see what the flavors of the month are. Quinteros Favoritos and RG Perlas were coming up often. So I picked up a box of favoritos 67$ USD and Perlas for 90$ from duty free airport.

RG Perlas is pretty much a Montecristo at significant discount, I swear if I anyone did a blind taste they wouldn't know the difference. Same cocoa vanilla chocolate coffee taste which is a well established Monte signature. Burn was razor sharp and it never turned harsh towards the nub. Excellent little cig, more complex than Upmann HC and 10$ cheaper to boot. Box date unknown couldn't find it.

Quinteros Favoritos is ugly mofo. Some people said it reminded them to a Partagas D4....WTF people? Not even close. This is a gimped bolivar RC that has hints of its signature taste but fails to prevail. Burns fast but not as fast as RASS. Won't be buying again, should have bought 85$ box of Partagas Habaneros instead. Box dated Apr 2015.

• 4 weeks later...

RG Perlas is very good with a lot of marzipan but becomes boring when I smoke daily. For daily smoking, I prefer a rotation of popular shorts, keeping premiums for weekends and occasions.

I'd always recommend the RG Panetelas also which are smoking very well right now and are a much better value than the Perlas. If you like the Perlas it's worth it to give the RGPE a try.

As far as Quintero, I think the Tubulares are the best model but they're not cheap at around $4/stick at best, although the Favoritos are about $3 each. The Favoritos are certainly not for everyone and I don't think anyone has ever liked them enough to call them very good. They're a great yard 'gar at best. I definitely think the Tubulares definitely use better tobacco.