Cohiba Magicos LSO MAY 08 - Weekend Review Competition

Purchased a 10ct box a few years ago. First time trying one of these in a while.

Appearance: Dark colorado wrapper. Slightly rustic, but plenty of sheen. Appears to be a bit of plume.

First third: Rich Cohiba flavor with some darker chocolate and cream notes. Tuscan leather, espresso, and cedar undertones. The richness is akin to the richness found in some ELs (e.g. HdM Magnum 48 & RA Club Allones). Medium bodied at the moment. Picking up a lot of complexity on the retrohale.

Second third: Progressing into a medium-bodied smoke. I'm surprised the cigar is somewhat Cohiba-esque given most people say these don't have any Cohiba DNA in them whatsoever. I'm picking up more espresso bean notes and mocha notes with cream/barnyard undertones. Very complex smoke and anything but boring so far. Excellent burn and nice even ash.

Final third: Flavors have become a bit more intense. The mocha note is moving toward bitter chocolate (70-90%). Pure chocolate with a hint of bitter orange.  I'm starting to see a few similarities between the 2010 Montecristo Grand Edmundo 2010 Edicion Limitada, although I think the Grand Edmundo is a better smoke. Was able to smoke this down to about 2cm.

Final impressions:

Great smoke in its own right. I haven't smoked that many cigars that offer such a rich chocolate flavor. Interesting smoke, but I'd honestly go for a current production Cohiba Robusto of Siglo IV instead as I do prefer the classic Cohiba flavor through and through. Some European vendors have these in stock for 40 euros a stick...definitely a pass at those prices. The cigar offers a nice change of pace, but I think you can get more bang for the buck elsewhere.

Final score: 93-94

f6ce4eeaea7ae592ceecd3071654eba9.jpg

1eb124ae400d757a4a6987ff9738f09e.jpg

• Like 2

Never much cared for these, but only had the smaller maduros.

Why must the Cubans follow the expats and try to do what they do...? In any event, it sounds like you got a good one, and that is all that matters!

Thanks for sharing! -Piggy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PigFish said:

Why must the Cubans follow the expats and try to do what they do...? In any event, it sounds like you got a good one, and that is all that matters!

Thanks!

On 10/7/2017 at 3:27 PM, PigFish said:

During my first 10 years of cigar smoking, I fell in love with the Padron Maduro. In those days, many new cigars came out regularly with a maduro wrapper which became the cigar of choice because the wrapper was selected from the best leaves harvested from the top levels of the “ Shade Grown ” tobacco plant, which was developed, after an additional period of fermentation. Perhaps this is just a way for Cuban cigar manufacturers to give their fans something NEW to smoke. Not better, bot worse, just something new where they can show a real difference in the flavor of fermented tobacco.