Blade Runner 2049 (spoiler free initial reactions)

planetary

Love the 1982 original.  Top 3 film for me.

Saw the sequel last night.  It was like eating an overwhelming feast.  I didn't know what to make of it and went to bed uncertain.

Today, after sleeping on it, digesting it -- I have no distance, but it seems the kind of thing that needs to slowly sink into you.  The story, visuals, sound, music, characters, atmosphere are full and rich.  Perfect it is not (there are a couple bits which are too on-the-nose to me), but I'm shocked that it's as good? interesting? deep? expansive? complete? as it is.

Go see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Which version @planetary of the original do you prefer (i.e. 1982 Workprint, U.S Version, International Version, 1992 Director's Cut or 2007 Final Cut)?

I've preferred the Final Cut over the Director's Cut since its release, but the differences are aesthetic (a few editing and coloring and effects changes, plus remastering), but the Director's Cut is also excellent.

Would not touch anything else, especially the theatrical cut(s).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, planetary said:

I've preferred the Final Cut over the Director's Cut since its release, but the differences are aesthetic (a few editing and coloring and effects changes, plus remastering), but the Director's Cut is also excellent, too.

Same here. I plan to re-visit the 2007 Final Cut before I see Blade Runner 2049, the sequel. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this, hopefully some cinemas local to me will be showing it. I haven't watched Blade Runner for quite some time now, I will have to make sure I have seen it before I go. Glad to hear that it's worth watching!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, planetary said:

I've preferred the Final Cut over the Director's Cut since its release, but the differences are aesthetic (a few editing and coloring and effects changes, plus remastering), but the Director's Cut is also excellent.

Yes I agree... The Final Cut does it for me.

i can't wait to see the new one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm thrilled with the movie Blade Runner 2049. I'm looking for some kind of similar movie . Maybe.. Anybody here have a recommendation for a movie   like this one did?

I found some recommendations on the sites https://bestsimilar.com/movies/38404-blade-runner-2049 and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1, but I'm curious to know the opinion of those who watched something similar to the movie Blade Runner 2049

On 09/12/2017 at 3:55 AM, margarett said:

I'm thrilled with the movie Blade Runner 2049. I'm looking for some kind of similar movie . Maybe.. Anybody here have a recommendation for a movie   like this one did?

I found some recommendations on the sites https://bestsimilar.com/movies/38404-blade-runner-2049 and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1, but I'm curious to know the opinion of those who watched something similar to the movie Blade Runner 2049

I don't know about finding something that is close to Blade Runner but I'd recommend you see Automata.

• Like 2

If you're looking for a "similar" type of movie. Here are some suggestions.

• Gattaca.  Distopian like Blade Runner, but "cleaner" look.
  • Dark City.
  • Split Second. Stars Rutger Hauer.  B-Movie material, but a good flick.  Los of fun.

As for Blade Runner 2049. I loved it. It really did justice to the first movie. Excellent storyline that wove in the original story and characters.  Great look. Soundtrack was great, though I would have preferred Vangelis got another crack at it. I think this movie will stand on it's own merits for decades to come. The first Bladerunner was a bomb commercially, but it has stood the test of time and has influence countless genres and media. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for a "similar" type of movie. Here are some suggestions.
  • Gattaca.  Distopian like Blade Runner, but "cleaner" look.
  • Dark City.
  • Split Second. Stars Rutger Hauer.  B-Movie material, but a good flick.  Los of fun.

As for Blade Runner 2049. I loved it. It really did justice to the first movie. Excellent storyline that wove in the original story and characters.  Great look. Soundtrack was great, though I would have preferred Vangelis got another crack at it. I think this movie will stand on it's own merits for decades to come. The first Bladerunner was a bomb commercially, but it has stood the test of time and has influence countless genres and media. 

Gattaca is a treat on blu-ray but understanding Battlestar really helps even if it’s the newer version but both were epic series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. I have not watched the original in over a year but for sure I felt like it was the same world as the first one. Good show. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2017 at 3:55 AM, margarett said:

A new series is out that is absolutely amazing.  Just out on Netflix as of last week.

Altered Carbon

Must watch.